William Mathias (1934-92)

Started by Maestro267, August 01, 2015, 11:32:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maestro267

I struggle with that work, tbh. There's no variation in structure. Every movement is the same. A section with large choir and orchestra, B section with children's choir and small organ, C section with the soloists singing non-sacred text. Repeat for movt. 2, then repeat twice for movt. 3. At least the War Requiem keeps things interesting and is far more profound and successful at incorporating texts both sacred and secular.

vandermolen

Quote from: Maestro267 on February 12, 2021, 04:50:09 AM
I struggle with that work, tbh. There's no variation in structure. Every movement is the same. A section with large choir and orchestra, B section with children's choir and small organ, C section with the soloists singing non-sacred text. Repeat for movt. 2, then repeat twice for movt. 3. At least the War Requiem keeps things interesting and is far more profound and successful at incorporating texts both sacred and secular.
I have also found it difficult to enjoy that work as well. The First Symphony is my favourite work by Mathias.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Sadly, far as I am aware the violin concerto has not been recorded. Excellent piece with the opening two movements having a Waltonesque Mediterranean feel and fireworks final.

Premiere with Charles Groves conducting The Halle with the soloist Gyorgy Pauk.

https://youtu.be/fRxCwB0cQ2Q
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Maestro267

Quote from: Irons on February 12, 2021, 07:54:42 AM
Sadly, far as I am aware the violin concerto has not been recorded. Excellent piece with the opening two movements having a Waltonesque Mediterranean feel and fireworks final.

Unfortunately so, despite a fantastic Proms revival in 2014. Surely it's easy enough to just release that. Get on it, labels. I reckon concert archives are gonna come in handy when we inevitably hit the point where Covid affects new releases, if we're not there already.

André

Re: the string quartets disc:

Quote from: André on February 11, 2021, 05:34:47 PM
Yes I did. Just posted comments in the WAYL2 thread.

Further listenings to this disc made me affirm even more strongly my opinion that the 2nd quartet is a bona fide masterpiece, esp. for its two middle movements - as striking and absorbing, respectively, as anything in the genre. The outer movements are very good too, but these middle movements are something else.

Quartet no 1 is almost as good. Cast in a single movement, its many moods are imperceptibly sewn together to create variety within a structural continuum. I had more trouble with the 3rd quartet. I will have to live with it a while longer to appreciate it.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: André on February 12, 2021, 12:17:53 PM
Rem the string quartets disc:

Further listenings to this disc made me affirm even more strongly my opinion that the 2nd quartet is a bona fide masterpiece, esp. for its two middle movements - as striking and absorbing, respectively, as anything in the genre. The outer movements are very good too, but these middle movements are something else.

Quartet no 1 is almost as good. Cast in a single movement, its many moods are imperceptibly sewn together to create variety within a structural continuum. I had more trouble with the 3rd quartet. I will have to live with it a while longer to appreciate it.

I did know you were gonna enjoy these works, André. Like you, I was drawn to the 2nd quartet the most. The slow movement (the 2nd one) is simply magnificent beyond words.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

André

Irons

Quote from: Maestro267 on February 12, 2021, 10:52:16 AM
Unfortunately so, despite a fantastic Proms revival in 2014. Surely it's easy enough to just release that. Get on it, labels. I reckon concert archives are gonna come in handy when we inevitably hit the point where Covid affects new releases, if we're not there already.

A perfect "freebie" with BBC MM.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on February 12, 2021, 05:39:05 AM
I have also found it difficult to enjoy that work as well. The First Symphony is my favourite work by Mathias.

Just discovered I have a copy of the 1st Symphony. Will give a spin.

Amfortas

I heard the Third Symphony today for the first time and it totally won me over. All three movements are excellent and the Finale has a fantastic episode for brass instruments. The Nimbus audio is very good on Youtube. A nearly forgotten composer and it's really a shame. His first 2 symphonies also have many great qualities. I've yet to explore the vocal works and the concertos.
''Better pass boldly into that other world, in the full glory of some passion, than fade and wither dismally with age.'' - James Joyce (The Dead)

kyjo

Quote from: Amfortas on January 27, 2022, 09:05:23 AM
I heard the Third Symphony today for the first time and it totally won me over. All three movements are excellent and the Finale has a fantastic episode for brass instruments. The Nimbus audio is very good on Youtube. A nearly forgotten composer and it's really a shame. His first 2 symphonies also have many great qualities. I've yet to explore the vocal works and the concertos.

Oh yes, the 3rd Symphony is a great - rather like an more "modern" version of Bax with its stirring sense of "legendary" atmosphere. As you say, the first two symphonies are great too and so are his concerti, above all the fantastical Harp Concerto. His music shares certain stylistic features with composers like Laszlo Lajtha and the earlier works of Dutilleux and Lutoslawski in the way he conjures up mysterious, nocturnal atmospheres, often through imaginative use of percussion. I've yet to hear his SQs which have been praised by André and Cesar.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Symphonic Addict

One of the greatest Mathias CDs IMO. Now playing his Laudi. Composer's masterful sense of rhythm and atmosphere instantly stand out. A fascinating figure.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on June 27, 2022, 05:11:25 PM
One of the greatest Mathias CDs IMO. Now playing his Laudi. Composer's masterful sense of rhythm and atmosphere instantly stand out. A fascinating figure.

Don't know that CD - will look out for it. Symphony No.1 is my favourite work by Mathias.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

kyjo

Quote from: vandermolen on June 27, 2022, 10:15:00 PM
Don't know that CD - will look out for it. Symphony No.1 is my favourite work by Mathias.

Do you know his 3rd Symphony, Jeffrey? I suspect you'd enjoy it very much. A dark, brooding, atmospheric, and exciting score with a hauntingly lyrical slow movement.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

relm1

I listened to this yesterday and very much enjoyed it.  Every work is diverse and very enjoyable, full of atmosphere, drama, and majestic.  I want to hear more.  Any recommendations?  I was interested in hearing his Concerto for Orchestra but as far as I can see, it's never been recorded.

Maestro267

The 1st and 2nd Symphonies conducted by the composer on the same label, for sure.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: relm1 on January 29, 2023, 05:41:25 AMI listened to this yesterday and very much enjoyed it.  Every work is diverse and very enjoyable, full of atmosphere, drama, and majestic.  I want to hear more.  Any recommendations?  I was interested in hearing his Concerto for Orchestra but as far as I can see, it's never been recorded.

Any of the Lyrita discs are reliably fine......

Albion

Quote from: relm1 on January 29, 2023, 05:41:25 AMI listened to this yesterday and very much enjoyed it.  Every work is diverse and very enjoyable, full of atmosphere, drama, and majestic.  I want to hear more.  Any recommendations?  I was interested in hearing his Concerto for Orchestra but as far as I can see, it's never been recorded.

I've got loads of Mathias broadcasts. Here's the Concerto for Orchestra, Op.27 (1964)

https://www.mediafire.com/file/eqnhkx2jxl4az5s/Mathias_-_Concerto_for_Orchestra%252C_Op.27_%25281964%2529.rar/file

:)

Here's what I have apart from the commercial CDs -

Mathias, William (1934-1992)

Three Partsongs - Nos a Bore, Op.12 No.1 (1959)       
Bryan Davies, piano/ Pendyrus Male Choir/ Glynne Jones (Qualiton LP)

Three Partsongs - Y Pren ar y Bryn, Op.12 No.3 (1959)     

Dance Overture, Op.16 (1961)
BBC NOW/ Tadaaki Otaka (br. 9/10/2010)

Serenade for Small Orchestra, Op.18 (1961)
BBC Northern Ireland O/ unknown conductor

Saint Teilo, Op.21 (1962)
Helen Watts, alto; Kenneth Bowen, ten; John Ogwyn, narrator/ Youth Choir of Tonyrefail/ Michael Smith, organ/ BBC Welsh Chorus/ BBC Welsh SO/ Owain Arwel Hughes

Concerto for Orchestra, Op.27 (1964)
RLPO/ Charles Groves

Litanies, Concertante Music for Orchestra, Op.37 (1967)
BBC SO/ Harry Newstone

Psalm 150, Op.44 (1969)
BBC National Chorus of Wales/ BBC NOW/ Adrian Partington (1/3/2007, br. 3/3/2008)

Concerto for Harpsichord, Strings and Percussion, Op.56 (1971)
Gillian Weir, harpsichord/ City of London Sinfonia/ Richard Hickox

This Worlde's Joie, Op.67 (1974)
Janet Price, sop; Kenneth Bowen, ten; Michael Rippon, bar/ Dyfed Choir/ Fishguard Secondary School Choir/ BBC Welsh SO/ William Mathias (1/7/1987, br. 24/8/1987)

Clarinet Concerto, Op.68 (1975)
Michael Collins, clarinet/ Polish Chamber O, Warsaw/ Jerzy Maksymiuk

Dance Variations for Orchestra Op.72 (1976)
London Mozart Players/ William Mathias (br. 25/6/1978)

Melos for Flute, Harp, String Orchestra and Percussion, Op.73 (1976)
BBC Welsh SO/ William Mathias (br. 12/10/1989)

Reflections on a Theme of Tomkins, Op.86 (1981)
Gillian Weir, organ and harpsichord/ City of London Sinfonia/ Richard Hickox

Salvator mundi, A Carol Sequence for Women's Choir and Chamber Orchestra, Op.89 (1982)
Cheltenham Ladies College Choir/ London Mozart Players/ John Sanders

Organ Concerto, Op.91 (1984)
Gillian Weir, organ/ BBC Welsh SO/ Erich Bergel (br. 12/9/1984)

Anniversary Dances, Op.95 (1985)
BBC Welsh SO/ William Mathias (br. 6/5/1986)

World's Fire (1989)
Catherine Pierard, soprano; Simon Gay, counter ten; Angus Smith, tenor; Stephen Roberts; bar/ Richard Hickox Singers /
City of London Sinfonia / Richard Hickox

In Arcadia (1991)
BBC NOW/ Tadaaki Otaka (br. 30/5/1992)

Violin Concerto (1991)
Gyorgy Pauk, violin/ Hallé O/ Charles Groves (16/1/1992)

Flute Concerto (1992)
William Bennett, flute/ Guildhall String Ensemble
A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it. (SG, 1922)

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on June 28, 2022, 07:31:54 AMDo you know his 3rd Symphony, Jeffrey? I suspect you'd enjoy it very much. A dark, brooding, atmospheric, and exciting score with a hauntingly lyrical slow movement.
Replying late to this Kyle  ::)
No I don't although I like the 1st Symphony very much - will look out for it. Many thanks for the recommendation.

relm1

Quote from: Albion on January 29, 2023, 04:23:22 PMI've got loads of Mathias broadcasts. Here's the Concerto for Orchestra, Op.27 (1964)

https://www.mediafire.com/file/eqnhkx2jxl4az5s/Mathias_-_Concerto_for_Orchestra%252C_Op.27_%25281964%2529.rar/file

:)

Here's what I have apart from the commercial CDs -

Mathias, William (1934-1992)

Three Partsongs - Nos a Bore, Op.12 No.1 (1959)       

Three Partsongs - Y Pren ar y Bryn, Op.12 No.3 (1959)     

Dance Overture, Op.16 (1961)
BBC NOW/ Tadaaki Otaka (br. 9/10/2010)

Serenade for Small Orchestra, Op.18 (1961)
BBC Northern Ireland O/ unknown conductor

Saint Teilo, Op.21 (1962)
Helen Watts, alto; Kenneth Bowen, ten; John Ogwyn, narrator/ Youth Choir of Tonyrefail/ Michael Smith, organ/ BBC Welsh Chorus/ BBC Welsh SO/ Owain Arwel Hughes

Concerto for Orchestra, Op.27 (1964)
RLPO/ Charles Groves

Litanies, Concertante Music for Orchestra, Op.37 (1967)
BBC SO/ Harry Newstone

Psalm 150, Op.44 (1969)
BBC National Chorus of Wales/ BBC NOW/ Adrian Partington (1/3/2007, br. 3/3/2008)

Concerto for Harpsichord, Strings and Percussion, Op.56 (1971)
Gillian Weir, harpsichord/ City of London Sinfonia/ Richard Hickox

Janet Price, sop; Kenneth Bowen, ten; Michael Rippon, bar/ Dyfed Choir/ Fishguard Secondary School Choir/ BBC Welsh SO/ William Mathias (1/7/1987, br. 24/8/1987)

Clarinet Concerto, Op.68 (1975)
Michael Collins, clarinet/ Polish Chamber O, Warsaw/ Jerzy Maksymiuk

Dance Variations for Orchestra Op.72 (1976)
London Mozart Players/ William Mathias (br. 25/6/1978)

Melos for Flute, Harp, String Orchestra and Percussion, Op.73 (1976)
BBC Welsh SO/ William Mathias (br. 12/10/1989)

Reflections on a Theme of Tomkins, Op.86 (1981)
Gillian Weir, organ and harpsichord/ City of London Sinfonia/ Richard Hickox

Salvator mundi, A Carol Sequence for Women's Choir and Chamber Orchestra, Op.89 (1982)
Cheltenham Ladies College Choir/ London Mozart Players/ John Sanders

Anniversary Dances, Op.95 (1985)
BBC Welsh SO/ William Mathias (br. 6/5/1986)

World's Fire (1989)
Catherine Pierard, soprano; Simon Gay, counter ten; Angus Smith, tenor; Stephen Roberts; bar/ Richard Hickox Singers /
City of London Sinfonia / Richard Hickox

In Arcadia (1991)

Violin Concerto (1991)

Flute Concerto (1992)

Impressive list!  I look forward to hearing the Concerto for Orchestra this evening.  Can I also get these:

In Arcadia (1991)

Violin Concerto (1991)

Flute Concerto (1992)

Thanks!