My custom-made bass

Started by Trazom H Cab, August 04, 2015, 05:38:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trazom H Cab

I'm not sure why but the last forum I posted this in banned me for spamming which I find inexplicable but then I often find the internet inexplicable.  No other forum reacted that way but now I have to be on my toes about it.  I had a bass custom made for me recently.  I commissioned it in January of 2014.  It was completed in January of 2015.  For now, I'll just show you the photos of it in the construction stage. 

That's all for now.  If this passes muster as not being spam then I'll post photos of the finished product if you'd like to see it.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

ZauberdrachenNr.7

That is fascinating - thanks so much for posting those photos.  Did you ask of the instrument maker any custom-made specs or requests?

Gurn Blanston

Unless you are selling custom made basses and soliciting all readers, I can't imagine what would lead me call this spam. ::)  In any case, it's a beautiful thing, has it now progressed to where you can make noises on it yet?  ;)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

jochanaan

I believe, Gurn, that our friend said it was finished in January of this year.  Perhaps he would consent to post a recording as well?  8)
Imagination + discipline = creativity

Trazom H Cab

The artist was Dan Seabolt.  I specified a gamben form bass (no violin corners) with medieval themes.  I wanted a 41" scale length.

Dan went to France and sent me photos of his travels and one showed a type of cross carved in a wall.  I looked it up and it's called an Occitan cross which was the official emblem of Count Raymond V of Toulouse from around 1165.  Toulouse was in the region of Occitania who opposed the Kings of France.  The artist was a woman whom I've never met but she oil paints on instruments and Dan varnished over the paintings to make them permanent.

Instead of a standard scroll, I specified a knight's helmet.

Dan came up with the idea to make the tailpiece resemble a castle tower with battlements.

I wanted an antique varnish that was the color of a medieval monk's tunic.  Dan came up with this shade of brown that let the original blonde of the wood peek through.  He studied how early violins were varnished and applied his coats the same way which gives an ancient look.  Anachronistic since double basses didn't exist in medieval times but so what?

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Trazom H Cab

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on August 05, 2015, 05:11:12 AM
Unless you are selling custom made basses and soliciting all readers, I can't imagine what would lead me call this spam.

As I said earlier, no other forum where I've posted this thread had a problem, not even an inkling of a problem.  Maybe the mod is one of those power-mad people who stretches most every posting into something he can take action on.

Quote::)  In any case, it's a beautiful thing, has it now progressed to where you can make noises on it yet?  ;)

8)

I play pretty good.  That's a lot of money to spend for not playing well.  But then again, I will have left the world something beautiful when I die even if I accomplish nothing else.  How should I bequeath it when I die?

jochanaan

Four strings, no fingerboard extension?  So E is as low as you can play? 8)
Imagination + discipline = creativity

Trazom H Cab

E is as low as I can play.  I could use a low D but rarely have any need to get lower than that.  To me, a double bass should have 4 strings (they come in 3-, 5- and 6-string models) and no extension.  I don't even like violin corners or that love-handle look of the bussetto-type basses.  I've very particular about how a double bass should look.  As for bass guitars, I don't care.  I have all manner of bass guitars.  I am confused by 6-string double basses.  What do you need one for?  I mean, I suppose when you want to bow up really high, it helps.  6-string bass guitar is a whole different animal--you play it like a regular guitar--full chords and everything--and it sounds beautiful.