Your Symphony Cycle

Started by Maestro267, August 10, 2015, 01:19:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: foxandpeng on June 21, 2021, 09:19:03 AM
Big +1 for the Stenhammar

Yeah, it's such a fantastic work. This is my favorite performance of it of the ones I own:

foxandpeng

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 21, 2021, 09:59:15 AM
Yeah, it's such a fantastic work. This is my favorite performance of it of the ones I own:

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll prioritise this for its next outing.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Mirror Image

Quote from: foxandpeng on June 21, 2021, 12:17:15 PM
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll prioritise this for its next outing.

You're welcome. Do let me know what you think about once you've heard it. I haven't heard the more recent Lindberg and Blomstedt recordings on BIS, but I've read many listeners still preferring this Westerberg performance over those two.

Maestro267

Some great lists coming up in this revival.

foxandpeng

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 21, 2021, 12:21:37 PM
You're welcome. Do let me know what you think about once you've heard it. I haven't heard the more recent Lindberg and Blomstedt recordings on BIS, but I've read many listeners still preferring this Westerberg performance over those two.

Ah, this is really good. I have usually heard the Paavo Jarvi and Lindberg versions (big fan of Lindberg's Pettersson cycle too), but despite its comparative age, it sounds great. Thanks so much for the recommendation - after listening last night, I'm having another run through as we speak 🙂
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Mirror Image

Quote from: foxandpeng on June 23, 2021, 02:58:13 AM
Ah, this is really good. I have usually heard the Paavo Jarvi and Lindberg versions (big fan of Lindberg's Pettersson cycle too), but despite its comparative age, it sounds great. Thanks so much for the recommendation - after listening last night, I'm having another run through as we speak 🙂

Very good to read. I can't say I'm too impressed with Lindberg's conducting. His performance of my favorite Pettersson symphony, the 7th, didn't have the same emotional power to it that the Segerstam (my reference) did.

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 21, 2021, 09:59:15 AM

That's definitely the best version!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

foxandpeng

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 23, 2021, 06:40:21 AM
Very good to read. I can't say I'm too impressed with Lindberg's conducting. His performance of my favorite Pettersson symphony, the 7th, didn't have the same emotional power to it that the Segerstam (my reference) did.

I won't pretend to have an attuned ear, but I enjoyed hearing the Segerstam. I do like the way the Lindberg is recorded though. I can more easily put myself 'there' during this performance. The Westerberg is excellent,  however!

Alternative list based on repeated and much enjoyed recent listens:

1. Philip Sawyers
2. Pēteris Vasks
3. Alla Pavlova
4. Sergei Taneyev
5. Carl Nielsen
6. Prokofiev
7. Aulis Sallinen 'The Dreams of Gandalf'
8. Hilding Rosenberg
9. David Matthews

Tolstoy

Mirror Image

Quote from: foxandpeng on June 23, 2021, 12:45:21 PM
I won't pretend to have an attuned ear, but I enjoyed hearing the Segerstam. I do like the way the Lindberg is recorded though. I can more easily put myself 'there' during this performance. The Westerberg is excellent,  however!

Ah sorry, I was referring to Pettersson's 7th not the Stenhammar 2nd symphony.

foxandpeng

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 23, 2021, 12:50:23 PM
Ah sorry, I was referring to Pettersson's 7th not the Stenhammar 2nd symphony.

Again, I do like the Lindberg version of Pettersson 7, but I think that may be familiarity. For years I only owned the CPO, but have listened almost exclusively to the Lindberg recently. Sometimes familiarity wins the day as to how it 'should' sound.

Tolstoy

Mirror Image

Quote from: foxandpeng on June 23, 2021, 12:59:42 PM
Again, I do like the Lindberg version of Pettersson 7, but I think that may be familiarity. For years I only owned the CPO, but have listened almost exclusively to the Lindberg recently. Sometimes familiarity wins the day as to how it 'should' sound.

Fair enough. I've heard, and own, all of the commercially available recordings of this symphony: Comissiona, Segerstam, Lindberg, Albrecht and Dorati. The Segerstam is the one that hit me the hardest --- there's something about the way he handles those 'lyrical islands' that never sounded any better. I cut my teeth with the Albrecht and Comissiona recordings before hearing any of the others.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 23, 2021, 01:04:55 PM
Fair enough. I've heard, and own, all of the commercially available recordings of this symphony: Comissiona, Segerstam, Lindberg, Albrecht and Dorati. The Segerstam is the one that hit me the hardest --- there's something about the way he handles those 'lyrical islands' that never sounded any better. I cut my teeth with the Albrecht and Comissiona recordings before hearing any of the others.
I grew up with the Dorati LP so that remains my favourite but I also really like the Segerstam and Lindberg recordings - nothing wrong with the others either.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on June 26, 2021, 12:48:20 AM
I grew up with the Dorati LP so that remains my favourite but I also really like the Segerstam and Lindberg recordings - nothing wrong with the others either.

Nice, Jeffrey. I should revisit the Dorati --- I remember liking it quite a bit.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 26, 2021, 07:43:45 PM
Nice, Jeffrey. I should revisit the Dorati --- I remember liking it quite a bit.
The original Decca LP release had a very striking cover image:

Brian

Quote from: Brian on August 13, 2015, 01:20:40 PM
1. Berlioz
2. Borodin
3. Sibelius
4. Brahms
5. Beethoven
6. Bruckner
7. Prokofiev
8. Dvorak
9. Shostakovich
10. Rontgen
11-37. Haydn
38-41. Mozart
42-106. Haydn
107-285. Segerstam (especially #265 "Ei! No!, Ei-no Lei(f)-no... despite 2x grandioso Masses of Morte!... (More Tea... hahhahh)...")
Decided to do a new list to contrast with the 6 year old one - and as an added challenge, banned myself from choosing any of the same symphonies that I chose last time.

1 - Walton
2 - Rachmaninov
3 - Vaughan Williams
4 - Nielsen
5 - Tchaikovsky
6 - Martinu
7 - Dvorak
8 - Beethoven
9 - David Matthews
10 - Shostakovich