If You Could Inhabit a Piece of Classical Music What Would it Be?

Started by ZauberdrachenNr.7, August 25, 2015, 12:32:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZauberdrachenNr.7

For many years in my teens and twenties I used often to think how wonderful it might be - post-mortem - to "continue life" as a classical music work, or even sometimes just a string of notes hanging out on a staff, expectantly awaiting attention.  Trust me, this wasn't the craziest idea in my noggin'.  I'm hardly alone in thinking such things - the late Marvel Comics editor Mark Gruenwald got his wish: his ashes were blended with ink and made into a comic book, literally and figuratively comic book heaven!  So, whether you've thought about this before or not, if the funeral director could offer you your choice of what work your spirit or soul could inhabit, physically or spiritually, what would it be?  For me, it has always been, and remains (no pun intended), Tchaik's Serenade for Strings for its elegance, serenity, clever polyphony.  Also its liveliness, specifically a waltz that kicks the jams outta the Strauss Family. 

Scion7

Whatever piece of music Anne-Sophie Mutter was studying in her bath when the warm water put her into a light sleep!    :-*

When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

springrite

In my younger days, I was definitely Rite of Spring.

Now, I'd say Goldberg Variation, Beethoven Op111, or Feldman's For Piano and String Quartet.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

springrite

Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Brian

Quote from: ZauberdrachenNr.7 on August 25, 2015, 12:32:16 PMTchaik's Serenade for Strings for its elegance, serenity, clever polyphony.  Also its liveliness, specifically a waltz that kicks the jams outta the Strauss Family.
This was my first thought and remains my only thought. Although Chabrier's Fete-Polonaise seems like a fun world to live in.

XB-70 Valkyrie

BACH: Prelude and Fugue in E-flat major (for organ), BWV 552, one of the most magnificent pieces of musical architecture ever composed. To me it is like an immense and perfect glass cathedral with every last little structure visible, but everything subordinated to the grandeur of the whole. I envision Bach seated in his throne, surrounded by his three trusted minions, B-flat, E-flat, and A-flat.

DEBUSSY: The Engulfed Cathedral, provided that I am supplied with sufficient oxygen, food, fresh water, and defense against sharks, poisonous sea snakes, jellies, giant squids and the like. I must also be provided with a personal submarine so I can leave and surface at any time to feast on the bounty of seafood in nearby Brittany. (I must also have an early warning system for tsunamis, and a yearly after-tax income of $800,000,000 Euros.) 

If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Jo498

If this is some afterlife/nirvana, I'd probably go with Beethoven's op.135. Both funny and wistful with a reflective slow movement and light and positive ending. Or Haydn's op.76#5.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

starrynight

Something with stories behind it would certainly take you on a journey and have some variety.  Picking something epic sounding could be a thrill for a while but sometimes you might want the variety of being able to get into something more homely.  And even something that sounds very serene much of the time might suddenly have a more troubled patch that you might not want to live through, such as the storm in the Pastoral symphony.

NikF

I believe I would like to become part of the D minor piano concerto by Brahms. More exactly, to reside within the second movement, because whenever I listen to that particular piece it seems to me that the composer somehow managed to write about some of the great women I've known. So where else should I live, breathe and feel, and rest my head? And if I can choose exactly how that movement/I are to be performed, it would be via the third recording made by Pollini, in which there's maybe a lack of obvious fireworks, but plenty of passion, understanding, appreciation, and perhaps even the quiet dignity possessed by a man who has lived a good number of years.
Either that, or something obvious by Offenbach that involves long-legged high-kicking dames under hot lights and warm smiles. Oh yeah.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

ZauberdrachenNr.7

Quote from: NikF on August 30, 2015, 09:03:38 AM
I believe I would like to become part of the D minor piano concerto by Brahms. More exactly, to reside within the second movement, because whenever I listen to that particular piece it seems to me that the composer somehow managed to write about some of the great women I've known. So where else should I live, breathe and feel, and rest my head? And if I can choose exactly how that movement/I are to be performed, it would be via the third recording made by Pollini, in which there's maybe a lack of obvious fireworks, but plenty of passion, understanding, appreciation, and perhaps even the quiet dignity possessed by a man who has lived a good number of years.
Either that, or something obvious by Offenbach that involves long-legged high-kicking dames under hot lights and warm smiles. Oh yeah.

cool!  8)  Good suggests all - looks like I'll be in good company in classical music heaven. 

ZauberdrachenNr.7

Quote from: starrynight on August 30, 2015, 01:19:24 AM
Something with stories behind it would certainly take you on a journey and have some variety.  Picking something epic sounding could be a thrill for a while but sometimes you might want the variety of being able to get into something more homely.  And even something that sounds very serene much of the time might suddenly have a more troubled patch that you might not want to live through, such as the storm in the Pastoral symphony.

But that's a light, summer storm, and nothing to fear, starrynight, just something that arises outta the heat of the day, has its brief moment and say, then moves on.  As beautiful, and as integral to the work, as the other natural images and experiences depicted in that most incredible and enjoyable symphony. 

Elgarian

EITHER:

The Enigma Variations, because then I'd never be short of good conversation;

OR

Scheherezade, because then I'd never be short of a good story.