Ulvi Cemal Erkin (1906-72)

Started by kyjo, December 17, 2018, 09:08:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kyjo

Erkin was a member of the "Turkish Five" and produced a modest but substantial catalogue of compositions, much of which is colorfully imbued with the influence of Turkish folk music. A couple years ago I discovered his catchily rhythmic (esp. the finale) 2nd Symphony on an old Hungaroton CD. (Naxos just recently released a CD of the 2nd Symphony and his Violin Concerto). Just last night I listened to his 1st Symphony on YouTube (in very good performance and sound) and was even more impressed - it's a vividly atmospheric work which draws the listener into its spell. It could almost be the soundtrack to some ancient exotic epic: https://youtu.be/8NlJjJasJaU

Anyone else know Erkin's music?
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

vandermolen

I bought Symphony 2 on Naxos in 2016 but can't recall much about it. I must listen again and thanks for alerting us Kyle.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

While the Naxos disc is an enjoyable recording, piano concerto (Idil Biret) and the 1st Symphony are nice as well.

Roy Bland

I have this Piano Concerto + Symphony good recording (Tabakov is a strong conductor) but quite expensive

Could i observe that after all turkish composers are less influenced from folklore than greeks?

Symphonic Addict

The Piano Concerto can be also found on this big set:

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky