Johann Gottfried Müthel (1728-1788)

Started by Scion7, August 30, 2015, 04:36:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scion7

German composer and highly regarded keyboard virtuoso, who took a position in Riga as organist for the main church in 1767, and never left.
Taught by his church-organist father, by the time he was 19 he became a chamber musician and organist at the court of Mecklenburg-Schwerin under Duke Christian Ludwig II.  In 1750 he visited Leipzig to visit 'the famous Capellmeister and Music-Director Bach ... in order to perfect himself in his profession', as an accompanying letter from his employer stated.  Studied under Telemann and CPE Bach.
Not a very prolific composer, Burney wrote of him: 'The style of this composer more resembles that of Emanuel Bach, than any other. But the passages are entirely his own, and reflect as much honour upon his head as his hand'.

Orchestral works
------------------------------------------------------------------------
2 Harpsichord concertos
concerto for two bassoons
Bassoon concerto

Keyboard pieces
------------------------------------------------------------------------
3 sonates et 2 ariosi avec 12 variations
technical exercises, incl. fantasy
6 harpsichord sonatas
2 duets
prelude, fugue fragments

When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Gurn Blanston

Here is another for you to try. One disk is primarily sonatas, the second is 'Ariosos', which sound to me much like a CPE Bach 'Fantasia'. They are very nice indeed. Thanks for the tip on the Schornsheim disk, I shall have that (also for the Kirnberger, of which I have none).

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Scion7

yes, that album by Christine introduced me to some of these little-known transitional Baroque-Classical artists ...
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

SonicMan46

Just left the quoted post below in the 'listening thread', so will go to oblivion quickly there (AND perhaps here looking at the early demise of this thread) - but Müthel was an interesting composer, especially w/ his relationship to the Bachs - the KB Concertos recording that I'm listening to at the moment on Spotify is excellent (see attached reviews, if interested).  Not sure if I need to own the 2-disc set having streaming as an option - now $39 on Amazon and a $20 DL on PrestoMusic.

Hopefully, a few more posts will be added to this thread - comments and further recommendations welcomed!  Dave :)

P.S. 2 of the Concertos are on the 2-disc MDG set w/ a favorite PI group of mine, Musica Alta Ripa.

Quote from: Toccata and Fugue on December 09, 2020, 08:07:53 AM
An excellent performance.

Well, I have plenty of the Goldberg Variations on all sorts of instruments and in chamber transcriptions but was impress on the comments made about the harpsichordist, Marcin Świątkiewicz - so decided to see what else he may have recorded and found the 2-disc set inserted above of Müthel's Keyboard Concertos - now listening to the performances on Spotify which are quite good - several reviews attached for those interested.

Johann Gottfried Müthel (1728-1788) was the last pupil of JS Bach and was present at his deathbed - he became close friends w/ CPE Bach and their keyboard concerto composing has similarities, as mentioned in the reviews attached.  For those who want to explore this composer, below are the CDs in my collection (the latter two are 2-discs each) - he did not write a whole lot in this life - list HERE - Dave :)