Books about jazz

Started by Brian, September 16, 2015, 06:54:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leo K.

I'm currently reading this bio of Lester Young. It's a really good weekend read with plenty of room for thought and pondering for such a musician.

Wood

ekkehard jost: Free Jazz 1974

Ten chapters, near enough one per artist, this book concentrates on the music rather than biography, and was useful when I started to get into jazz of this period.

Wood

Mervyn Cooke: Jazz 1998

This was useful for covering the styles of jazz from its origins to modern day (well 20 years ago!) and is a good start point for begininng to understand the various eras and key artists.

Wood

Can anyone recommend any books on jazz rock / fusion?

Thanks.  :)

king ubu

not general, but I found this one pretty much okay:

[asin]0823083462[/asin]

there's this fairly new one that I plan to get - it puts (early) jazz rock in a broader context - Braxton, MEV, Circle etc:

[asin]022618076X[/asin]
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

San Antone

Quote from: Brian on September 16, 2015, 06:54:58 PM
This morning I started reading Stanley Crouch's book about Charlie Parker

A very good and well researched book.  Crouch details Parker's early life better than any other Parker biographer.  I eagerly await the next volume since this one ends in tantalizing manner at the outset of his greatness.

Karl Henning

Quote from: sanantonio on November 08, 2016, 02:23:19 AM
A very good and well researched book.  Crouch details Parker's early life better than any other Parker biographer.  I eagerly await the next volume since this one ends in tantalizing manner at the outset of his greatness.

Reminds me of the first volume of David Nice's bio of Prokofiev!  (Or, maybe not.)   8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

These are not books about Jazz, but fine novels featuring Jazz musicians. "Tracker" by Julio Cortazar and "Steppenwolf" by Hermann Hesse.

Trazom H Cab

This book has quite neglected by jazz fans but I found it quite thought-provoking and I have quite a large jazz book library.

SimonNZ

Tom 1960

Maybe I missed it, but it looks like nobody mentioned this one. Pretty gripping stuff.

aukhawk

All of these are probably OOP since I acquired them in the '70s, but the first 3 in particular are very good.

Bird Lives! by Ross Russell
Inside Jazz by Graham Collier
As Serious as your Life by Valerie Wilmer
From Satchmo to Miles by Leonard Feather
The Jazz Book by Joachim Berendt

XB-70 Valkyrie

If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Max Hollinworth

I read this, I liked it very much, I love such materials  ;) I studied music until the 4th year of university, in total, this is about 7 years, I also played the guitar, practiced drums, and now I maintain my skills at the level of a hobby. Now I like to write essays, try this out read my works on the actual problem of Media Violence. I think this is a great opportunity to help people, earn and develop. Good luck and good tracks to everyone!

Irons

The famous British poet Philip Larkin, who said "I can live a week without poetry but not a day without jazz", is the author of All What Jazz. One of the most memorable books on jazz I have read not because of the subject matter as Larkin's taste in the genre is the polar opposite of my own. His enthusiasm, and not least his prose, make for a wonderful read.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Brian

Looking up more info on that book, I am amused to see Larkin occasionally employed the pen name "Brunette Coleman"   ;D

Irons

Quote from: Brian on August 31, 2020, 05:20:20 AM
Looking up more info on that book, I am amused to see Larkin occasionally employed the pen name "Brunette Coleman"   ;D

;D
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

SimonNZ

Picked this up the other day and am looking forward to starting it:

Has anyone here read it or know of the book?

SimonNZ

Considering a project of working chronologivally through the Mingus discography while reading this near oral history I found recently:

Karl Henning

Quote from: SimonNZ on November 27, 2021, 02:57:24 PM
Considering a project of working chronologivally through the Mingus discography while reading this near oral history I found recently:

The book does look tasty!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot