What are you playing?

Started by Maciek, April 13, 2007, 03:44:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maciek

So, what are you playing?

I'm into Chopin's Songs right now. Which is not very good, considering the fact that I can hardly sing... ;D But at least they're easy enough, so singing and playing at the same time actually is an option...

Maciek

m_gigena

Just finished the first movement of the Haydn sonata I mentioned in the old GMG. But I don't want (dare) to step forward, and will try to polish this one before getting into the slow mov.

Today I'm back to piano lessons at the conservatoire, so there are new works coming (unfortunately, my horizon looks also full of technical demands and etudes also).

Joe Barron

Right now I'm into Debussy's Sunken Cathedral, which I don't think I may ever learn to play well, and the three excerpts from Our Town by Copland, which I've liekd, in the orchestral version, since I was a kid. The music is deceptively simple. It's not really hard to play, but the textures are very open, and any little mistake is magnified threefold.

Maciek

Quote from: Joe Barron on April 13, 2007, 10:06:16 AM
Debussy's Sunken Cathedral

I could never get to play that properly. It's probably not beyond me but, as a pure hobbyist, I get distracted very quickly, so anything that demands a bit of practice is quickly forgotten. ;)

Maciek

Poulenc's Mouvements perpetuels

Guido

censored due to score thread¬!
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

Maciek

Wow! Quite a list!

BTW (completely OT), is your internet provider finally cooperating with GMG?

Guido

Yes. How did you know? Its so annoying! But I'll soon be at Cambridge, and the single positive thing about that is the beautifully fast internet connection. 100Mb...mmmmmmmmm...
Geologist.

Maciek

Quote from: Guido on April 19, 2007, 04:19:35 PM
Yes. How did you know? Its so annoying! But I'll soon be at Cambridge, and the single positive thing about that is the beautifully fast internet connection. 100Mb...mmmmmmmmm...

Is that the SINGLE positive thing, seriously? :o ;D

I think you mentioned your internet problems somewhere on the old forum - just before you disappeared.

Guido

Well, that and the extremely cheap drinks! (Vodka 80p, Pint £1.50!)
Geologist.

Maciek

greg

Michael Angelo Batio: To Alpha Sector 2
Theodore Ziras: The First Attempt  ;)

Maciek

Good luck then! :D I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you!

knight66

Guido, I was recently conducted in the Missa Solemnis by Andrew Nethsingha. He is master of music at Gloucester Cathedral, however, he is taking over master of music as St Johns College Cambridge after the summer holidays. If you get a chance to be involved with his music making, take it, he is an excellent musician. He may also play organ recitals as part of his role there.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

greg

Quote from: aquariuswb on April 20, 2007, 08:02:06 AM
Tomorrow and the next day I will perform Beethoven's 22nd Piano Sonata, Op. 54. I then make my conducting debut (!!!) on Wednesday -- a new piece for full symphonic wind ensemble composed by my friend Will Mogey called Sousa's Dream. A very exciting few days are in store for me!
hey, that's pretty cool
i also wish you good luck  8)
so tell us how it goes

Guido

Thanks for the tip Knight. I'm at a different college (I think I know who he is replacing), but there's always ways to get involved somehow...
Geologist.

aquablob

Quote from: aquariuswb on April 20, 2007, 08:02:06 AM
Tomorrow and the next day I will perform Beethoven's 22nd Piano Sonata, Op. 54.

The first performance went all right -- a few (sometimes badly) botched spots, but nothing I wasn't able to play through.

The second performance (earlier tonight) was without a doubt my most successful recital performance to date. I was able to focus completely despite the nerves. There were again a couple botched spots here and there, but far fewer and far less severe in general than the previous go-round. I played the second movement faster than I usually do but it came off well. The main thing was that I was able to bring forth the musical structure and phrasing/shading/dynamics effectively (for an amateur, at least). It just felt good.

I might be able to get the sound recording of the latter performance, but I am graduating soon and the recording might not be made available before I leave school. Thanks for the interest, fellow posters! I'll let you know how the conducting goes on Wednesday.

Black Knight

Quote from: aquariuswb on April 22, 2007, 09:14:45 PM
The first performance went all right -- a few (sometimes badly) botched spots, but nothing I wasn't able to play through.

The second performance (earlier tonight) was without a doubt my most successful recital performance to date. I was able to focus completely despite the nerves. There were again a couple botched spots here and there, but far fewer and far less severe in general than the previous go-round. I played the second movement faster than I usually do but it came off well. The main thing was that I was able to bring forth the musical structure and phrasing/shading/dynamics effectively (for an amateur, at least). It just felt good.

I might be able to get the sound recording of the latter performance, but I am graduating soon and the recording might not be made available before I leave school. Thanks for the interest, fellow posters! I'll let you know how the conducting goes on Wednesday.

Congrats! And good luck on Wednesday!

I'm playing the 1st movement of Grieg's Piano Sonata in E minor in a student concert on the 4th of May. I'm also having a go at part three of a Bartok Suite (I actually don't know its full name...  :-[)

m_gigena

Do you guys play with or without the score?  ;D  ;D

I suppose my next conservatoire audition will consist of:
Haydn: piano sonata No59, in E flat major
Debussy: Arabesque No1
Brahms: Intermezzo Op. 118 No2
Some Chopin Mazurca...
And a Tango, accompanying a violinist friend from the piano.

So I am getting ready for that...

aquablob

Quote from: Manuel on April 23, 2007, 05:12:47 AM
Do you guys play with or without the score?  ;D  ;D

I suppose my next conservatoire audition will consist of:
Haydn: piano sonata No59, in E flat major
Debussy: Arabesque No1
Brahms: Intermezzo Op. 118 No2
Some Chopin Mazurca...
And a Tango, accompanying a violinist friend from the piano.

So I am getting ready for that...

That sounds like an excellent program. Have you chosen the Chopin Mazurka yet?