What are you playing?

Started by Maciek, April 13, 2007, 03:44:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

orbital

Quote from: JCampbell on June 07, 2007, 12:11:54 PM
That was a great rendition. A lot of fuzz though, but it sounds like it's being recorded from the audience (did you record it?) He plays the end incredibly accurately (the 5/4 part), which to me seems to be the biggest difficulty with this piece. His trill at the end was enchanting too!
I wish (it was me recording). This recital opens with the Italian Concerto, then Tempest, then the whole 10 preludes of op 23 and this!

Steve

Saint-Seans, Violin Concerto No.3  ;D

Greta

Is this the thread where we can post snippets of us playing? :)

I picked up my horn last night after more than 2 years away, and had so much fun I practiced for many hours!

I ran across this piece I always liked by Eugene Bozza and on a whim recorded myself. (Yay for technology!)

It's supposed to have piano, which fills it out a lot more, but maybe I will upload it anyway.

rappy

I'm currently playing:

on the piano: Chopin Etudes Op. 10/4, Op. 25/9 and Op. 25/12, Bach WTK2 Prelude+Fugue in G
on the violin: Viotti VC no. 12 Bb major (first movement) and the 2nd of "Six Solos" by H. Leonard and some Kreutzer Etudes

aquablob

Quote from: Greta on July 30, 2007, 06:07:30 AM
Is this the thread where we can post snippets of us playing? :)

I picked up my horn last night after more than 2 years away, and had so much fun I practiced for many hours!

I ran across this piece I always liked by Eugene Bozza and on a whim recorded myself. (Yay for technology!)

It's supposed to have piano, which fills it out a lot more, but maybe I will upload it anyway.

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,837.msg18741.html#msg18741

Saul

I'm playing my Waltz In A minor.
This is a recording of me perfroming it:

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?PID=993427&t=3252

Saul

I thought the nocturne was fine.
Here is a video of Horowitz playing it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeulP4yYm5g

His triols are more refined and longer and  the overall tempi is not so rubato.

Regards,

Saul

m_gigena

During the last weekend I got sick of Czerny so I used my time two learn two short pieces: an F major mazurca by Chopin, and the delicious Canzonetta del Salvatore Rosa.

I'm supposed to play 2 two hands in any piano four-hand work, so I'm considering Schubert's f minor fantasy or an arrangement from the Trout quintet. What do you guys suggest?

aquablob

I've nowhere near actually "learnt" either of these, but I've recently been playing through Chopin's Barcarolle and Beethoven's Op. 111 piano sonata quite a bit. And I've been keeping Beethoven's Op. 54 sonata under my fingers, even though my recital was months ago -- 'tis always a shame to "lose" a piece without a replacement, as I've done so often in the past! Plus I find that the longer I keep a piece in my fingers (and the more often I play through it thoughtfully), the deeper my understanding of the music becomes.

Norbeone

For my next university assessment (piano), i'm working on a twenty minute repetoire consisting of:

- Bach - Contrapunctus XIV from Art of the Fugue (unfinished fugue of three subjects)
- Alfredo Casella - Two Ricercari based on the B-A-C-H motif.

I'm also learning the first half of Bartok's 12 Bagatelles and selected pieces from his Mikrokosmos books IV and V.

Then I plan to tackle Schoenberg's Suite for Piano op.25. That'll be pretty F'ing difficult i'm predicting.

orbital

I think I will learn Brahms' Chaconne transcription for left hand (played with both hands of course >:D )

or I could go with Busoni's version if I had four hands  :-\

Guido

Goldschmidt cello concerto - I think I'll prepare it for a concerto competition. Not exactly a virtuoso show piece, but to my mind without a doubt one of the finest cello concertos of the last century.
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

toledobass

I'm working on the prelude to the 2nd Bach cello suite and a sonata by Adolf Misek.

Allan

mikkeljs

Schoenberg: Suite op. 25  8)
Mozart: Piano Concerto no. 21  ;)
Brahms: h minor rhapsody from op. 79  :D
Chopin: Etude no. 8 op. 10  ::)

Joe_Campbell

I figured if I posted, other newbies in the school of piano might also come out of hiding:

JS Bach: Little Prelude in D Minor BWV 926
-more one-hand-at-a-time memorization
-this music is predictable, so it's easy to memorize
-quasi-cadenza is tricky

girl playing it as well as me:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSQewgj0UoM

Andre Previn: Roundup
-two sections in this one-pager make me go wtf mate? (well, two and a half)
-playing one hand over top another is painfully awkward

Cornelius Gurlitt: Study in E Minor op. 132, no. 1
-powerful B section adds to Chopin-esque A theme
-recommended tempo seems far too quick, but composer knows best, I guess (1/4 note=116-132), considering there's a near triple octave jump on the 1/4 note

Yea...that's right. Grade 6 RCM piano repertoire! I can't find the scores for obvious reasons. I'm not ashamed!

m_gigena

Quote from: orbital on October 24, 2007, 12:28:11 PM
I think I will learn Brahms' Chaconne transcription for left hand (played with both hands of course >:D )

or I could go with Busoni's version if I had four hands  :-\

I played the Brahms Etude some time ago... I didn't find it very difficult.

Instead of Busoni's Chaconne you can try the Siloti-Busoni Chaconne, it's a lot easier.* The Siloti one I attempted to tackle yesterday, after 4 months of not playing piano... It was awful... I was awful.

So I moved on to something shorter that may allow me to retrieve some finger sensitivity, and for that I chose Godowsky's Alt Wien.

And I'm also working on Rachmaninov's Prelude op. 23 Nº 5.

I can upload the score as pdf if you want to give it a look.

orbital

Quote from: Manuel on December 04, 2007, 03:13:29 PM
I played the Brahms Etude some time ago... I didn't find it very difficult.

Instead of Busoni's Chaconne you can try the Siloti-Busoni Chaconne, it's a lot easier.* The Siloti one I attempted to tackle yesterday, after 4 months of not playing piano... It was awful... I was awful.

So I moved on to something shorter that may allow me to retrieve some finger sensitivity, and for that I chose Godowsky's Alt Wien.

And I'm also working on Rachmaninov's Prelude op. 23 Nº 5.

I can upload the score as pdf if you want to give it a look.
That would be excellent. Siloti's other Bach reduction (that of the e-minor WTC prelude) was very manageable -except in some places where I had to break the chords-, so it may be worth a look :)

I learned the c# minor mazurka op63/3 recently. It looks easy enough but it certainly is not  >:( Especially those echoing voices near the end.

m_gigena

Quote from: orbital on December 05, 2007, 09:25:23 AM
That would be excellent. Siloti's other Bach reduction (that of the e-minor WTC prelude) was very manageable -except in some places where I had to break the chords-, so it may be worth a look :)

I learned the c# minor mazurka op63/3 recently. It looks easy enough but it certainly is not  >:( Especially those echoing voices near the end.

Here's the Chaconne: http://rapidshare.com/files/74542782/Siloti.Busoni.Bach.pdf

And here are eight other transcriptions, from works by Gluck, Rachmaninov, Ravel, Bach, Scriabin and Strauss.

http://rapidshare.com/files/74542098/siloti.zip.html

Maciek

I had completely forgotten how much fun Little Preludes are - thanks for reminding me, Joe! 8) I'll definitely get them out tomorrow. Sadly, with the amount of time I dedicate to playing nowadays (and hour every two weeks.........? at best!) they might turn out to be the pinnacle of my current abilities... ;D

And thanks for the Siloti transcriptions, Manuel! 8) I'm downloading them right now, always wanted to see how they look!

orbital

Quote from: Manuel on December 05, 2007, 11:55:10 AM
Here's the Chaconne: http://rapidshare.com/files/74542782/Siloti.Busoni.Bach.pdf

And here are eight other transcriptions, from works by Gluck, Rachmaninov, Ravel, Bach, Scriabin and Strauss.

http://rapidshare.com/files/74542098/siloti.zip.html
Manuel thank you so very much. This is a bit above my reading abilities, but I think I can work it out bar by bar  :)