What are you playing?

Started by Maciek, April 13, 2007, 03:44:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aquablob

Chopin -- Etude Op. 10 No. 7, up to speed at this point!

mikkeljs

Have just started working on Ives Three-page-sonata.  8) I look forward to perform it together with the whole Schoenberg Suite op. 25.

greg

ah, good to know you've finally learned the Schoenberg Piano Suite!
takes awhile, huh?

Guido

Good to hear you're working on the Ives. I think its a tough nut to crack but ultimately its a very good piece. I'd love to see his original manuscript on 3 pages - it must have been ridiculously crowded!
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

alexandro

Stockhausen Gruppen (Maderna/Boulez/Stockhausen conducting), and after I think Saint-Saens famous Third Symphony, and after I dont know. I want to listen Berio's Sinfonia but I dont know. I prefer my great love Bernstein's Dybbuk tonight. See you ;D

Maciek

Ahem, I believe this is the thread you want. 0:)

(Here we post what we are actually playing on an instrument or - in some are cases - conducting...)

mattzart

I played Mendelssohn's "On Wings of Song" and the 2nd movement from his violin concerto last night. I don't have much time nor the skill to learn the entire concerto, so I'm fine with the andante for now.

I'll probably play Kreisler's "Liebesleid" today. Lovely little piece.

karlhenning

Liebeslied, isn't it? Though I have heard radio announcers say Liebesleid . . . .

m_gigena

Quote from: karlhenning on December 12, 2007, 01:23:14 PM
Liebeslied, isn't it? Though I have heard radio announcers say Liebesleid . . . .

Mattzart is right, it's Liebesleid. In spanish it's known as "Penas de Amor", and I don't know how to translate it.

m_gigena

Quote from: mattzart on December 12, 2007, 01:21:18 PM
I played Mendelssohn's "On Wings of Song" and the 2nd movement from his violin concerto last night. I don't have much time nor the skill to learn the entire concerto, so I'm fine with the andante for now.

Do you do that with the approval of your teacher? Last time I tried to play Abschied alone (from Schumann's Waldszenen) he said something about chopping my thumbs, feeding them to cats, and feeding the cats to a family of homeless emigrees from eastern Europe. Gypsies... mostly.

Quote from: mattzart on December 12, 2007, 01:21:18 PM
and the 2nd movement from his violin concerto last night.

So, I'm sure you can tell me what's wrong with this two short audio files
http://www.driveway.com/nlhde77483
http://www.driveway.com/lcmdz32011

;D ;D

c#minor

Touching up and SPEEDING up (getting to be hard) Chopin Etude Op.10 No.12
I can't quite seem to relax my left hand enough to make it all the way through. I always tense up right when it turns to f minor and has the huge crecendo in the left, then i struggle to calm the hand back down throughout the rest of the piece.

Joe_Campbell

I'm looking at the score, and my virgin eyes can't find this transition. What measure is this modulation?

m_gigena

c#minor

Well now that i have gone back and looked at the score i was taught wrong. My teacher instructed me to crescendo at that point, but it's just in fortissimo. I can't tell you the measure because it's not marked and i am missing a page. I know that sounds weird but i learn mostly from ear and just use the score to reference if i forget something.

mikkeljs

Quote from: 僕はグレグ (Greg) on December 11, 2007, 03:49:00 PM
ah, good to know you've finally learned the Schoenberg Piano Suite!
takes awhile, huh?

I still haven´t learned the Intermezzo and Musette yet. But the Prelude, Gavotte, Menuett and Gigue works great.  :D Have just finished learning the 1st movement of the Ives today on christmas.  8) That was quite some rhytms!  :o

orbital

Trying my hand on Scarlatti's K.054 (L.188, I think), the a minor. It is hard when played at full speed which I am quite far from at the moment. A very fun piece to play nevertheless. I had to make my own pedal points since the score I downloaded had none and it is way more excessive than the one Horowitz uses, for sure  ;D
Scarlatti is fun to play in general in the sense that you can play with those ornaments every time you play them and the music does not suffer whether you play them just plain or with extra-extra embellishments.

mikkeljs

I have found out a good schema for learning lots of pieces, is to study one line to perfection per day. I think it works great no matter what kind of music it is. Mozart or Shoenberg - doesn´t matter! Analyzing from note to note, trying to realize the music exactly as good as I can, and then I start playing through the whole thing in an extremely slow tempo. My mind as well as my metronom has been forces to it´s limit of possibilities in slowness. ;D

karlhenning

Quote from: orbital on December 26, 2007, 07:32:41 AM
Trying my hand on Scarlatti's K.054 (L.188, I think), the a minor. It is hard when played at full speed which I am quite far from at the moment. A very fun piece to play nevertheless. I had to make my own pedal points since the score I downloaded had none

I suspect that the instrument for which Scarlatti wrote, had no sustain pedal . . . .

orbital

Quote from: karlhenning on December 26, 2007, 08:38:45 AM
I suspect that the instrument for which Scarlatti wrote, had no sustain pedal . . . .
I've found quite a bit of pdf's with indications in the past. The one I learned before that K87 had them, probably edited by someone. You definitely need them, particularly on those double octaves  :-\

Quote from: mikkeljs on December 26, 2007, 08:10:39 AM
I have found out a good schema for learning lots of pieces, is to study one line to perfection per day. I think it works great no matter what kind of music it is. Mozart or Shoenberg - doesn´t matter! Analyzing from note to note, trying to realize the music exactly as good as I can, and then I start playing through the whole thing in an extremely slow tempo. My mind as well as my metronom has been forces to it´s limit of possibilities in slowness. ;D
I do that as well. Either one line (or 8-16 bars  if working from midi file) in one sitting. When a line is finished, the trick is to start with the last bar from the previous session so that continuity can be achieved.

karlhenning

Quote from: orbital on December 26, 2007, 09:06:37 AM
I've found quite a bit of pdf's with indications in the past. The one I learned before that K87 had them, probably edited by someone. You definitely need them, particularly on those double octaves  :-\

Two immediate possibilities: (1) I am mistaken, or (or, and/or) (2) those pdfs are later piano editions.