What are you playing?

Started by Maciek, April 13, 2007, 03:44:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

orbital

Quote from: karlhenning on December 26, 2007, 09:07:59 AM
Two immediate possibilities: (1) I am mistaken, or (or, and/or) (2) those pdfs are later piano editions.
You are most definitely not mistaken. The original scores, as you say can not have pedal indications and the most widely used scores, I think are those that are by Sankey which feature none either. I generally get mine from the internet (or I get midi files if I can't find the score on line) so the author is generally unknown. They are probably piano editions.

mikkeljs

Quote from: orbital on December 26, 2007, 09:06:37 AM
When a line is finished, the trick is to start with the last bar from the previous session so that continuity can be achieved.

Excatly! I do that often too.

Another thing I do, is to imagine a simple phrase in the fingers. Playing the phrase slowly while still feeling the previous played notes as well as the next. Can be quite hard. That gives often a visionable precision of the thought. I take this princip and do it gradually with longer sections, then whole passages and finally the whole peace. In the end it creates a total feeling of e v e r y note at once! It just really gives a feeling of finish.  :D

greg

Quote from: mikkeljs on December 26, 2007, 08:10:39 AM
I have found out a good schema for learning lots of pieces, is to study one line to perfection per day. I think it works great no matter what kind of music it is. Mozart or Shoenberg - doesn´t matter! Analyzing from note to note, trying to realize the music exactly as good as I can, and then I start playing through the whole thing in an extremely slow tempo. My mind as well as my metronom has been forces to it´s limit of possibilities in slowness. ;D
that's a different approach!

i don't know if it'd work for guitar, though... the way i like practicing is just having music that i play through whenever i feel like it, and then after a period of a year i have tons of pretty complex songs that i can memorize with only a few days' practice.

Actually, that's what i'm kinda doing right now.... at least, if i spend more than 10 min actually practicing each day  ;D

mikkeljs

Quote from: 僕はグレグ (Greg) on December 26, 2007, 03:11:42 PM
that's a different approach!

i don't know if it'd work for guitar, though... the way i like practicing is just having music that i play through whenever i feel like it, and then after a period of a year i have tons of pretty complex songs that i can memorize with only a few days' practice.

Actually, that's what i'm kinda doing right now.... at least, if i spend more than 10 min actually practicing each day  ;D

What are you playing for the moment? Do you know some of Nørgård´s guitar music? That´s really great, but I don´t know if it is difficult. It probably is.

greg

man, i'm not really playing anything  ;D
i don't know any of Norgard's guitar music (no recordings, sheet music, didn't know he wrote guitar music)... i've hardly ever played any classical guitar, i used to do Bach's Bouree in Em, and i also have a little bit of guitar music by Takemitsu, but i need a recording to guide me....

recently, i've just been teaching my little brother the beginning to the Rush song The Spirit of Radio, and stuff like Joe Satriani's Memories and Not of this Earth. Just a few small touchups to both songs and i can play them through. I had an idea to make some videos and put them on youtube.... i don't know, we'll see, just an idea

m_gigena

Quote from: orbital on December 26, 2007, 09:06:37 AM
I've found quite a bit of pdf's with indications in the past. The one I learned before that K87 had them, probably edited by someone. You definitely need them, particularly on those double octaves  :-\

Don't be lazy, exercise your legato;D

orbital

Quote from: Manuel on December 27, 2007, 01:56:51 PM
Don't be lazy, exercise your legato;D
;D but how about the 2 1/2 note jumps  :-\

Also one more thing on the performance of this piece. Now that I am at the 9th bar, looks like I have to cross hands starting with the e-major section. I could not really see the point in doing that , and the videos I checked on YouTube also have the pianists crossing hands. I could not conceive why though. You can play it perfectly fine without doing that  :-[ :-[ and it is easier  :-[ :-[

btpaul674

I am about 3/4 the way from finishing the first movement of the Rautavaara 1st PC Op. 45

m_gigena

Debussy's Des pas sur la neige.

toledobass

Continuing work on Bach's 2nd suite.  After a few months of study I don't think this is something I will perform in public for a long, long very long time.  Pieces I will begin in January are the Monti Czardas,  the last movement of the Franck sonata and the second part to Bottesini's Passion Amorosa.

Allan

m_gigena

Beethoven's Pastoral Sonata. I can't believe I never played this work before, it's even better than listening to it!.

mikkeljs

Finally finish learning Schoenberg´s suite by heart.  8) That´s so fantastic! The Musette was a bit harder than it look like.

I have heard 3 recordings of the suite, and no one follow the metronome markings. I was surprised about, how fast the Intermezzo was supposed to be, it´s a completely different character than when it is performed slowly.

Does anyone know a recording that is in tempo?

Norbeone

Quote from: mikkeljs on January 20, 2008, 10:47:02 AM
Finally finish learning Schoenberg´s suite by heart.  8) That´s so fantastic! The Musette was a bit harder than it look like.

I have heard 3 recordings of the suite, and no one follow the metronome markings. I was surprised about, how fast the Intermezzo was supposed to be, it´s a completely different character than when it is performed slowly.

Does anyone know a recording that is in tempo?

Wow, you must be pretty good! A very difficult piece. I forget what the tempo markings are, but check out Glenn Gould's great performance just for the sake of hearing a Gouldian interpretation.

I'm thinking of tackling the Hindemith 2nd Piano Sonata in the near future.

mikkeljs

Quote from: Norbeone on January 20, 2008, 11:07:47 AM
Wow, you must be pretty good! A very difficult piece. I forget what the tempo markings are, but check out Glenn Gould's great performance just for the sake of hearing a Gouldian interpretation.

I'm thinking of tackling the Hindemith 2nd Piano Sonata in the near future.

I heard Gould playing the Intermezzo on youtube, and he has the fastest interpretation compared to the other recordings I have heard (Pullini, Elisabeth Klein and Niels Viggo Bentzon). But still not as fast as the metronom marking.

In the preparetion words, Schoenberg (I don´t know if it is Arnold or Gertrud) says about the metronome markings, that they are not to be taken litterally but rather merely as suggestions. I don´t know if that is a pianistic compromise or a musical nature of the piece...   ::)

Haffner

Cello. I suck, but I just love even playing simple melodies (like the middle/main theme of LvB's Hymn of Thanksgiving) on it, over and over. It's a lovely instrument.

orbital

Another Scarlatti sonata. K481, F minor. This is the easiest sonata I've tried so far.

The Emperor

I started pictures at an exhibition today, well at least i want to play the promenade and the great gate of kiev.
First bars already nailed  8)

Guido

Having fun with the Previn cello sonata though it's really very difficult in deed. Thinking about doing the Goldschmidt cello concerto in a competition...
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

greg

Quote from: mikkeljs on January 20, 2008, 12:05:55 PM
I heard Gould playing the Intermezzo on youtube, and he has the fastest interpretation compared to the other recordings I have heard (Pullini, Elisabeth Klein and Niels Viggo Bentzon). But still not as fast as the metronom marking.

Gould, Schoenberg Piano Suite  0:) 0:) 0:)
the other recording i have is Christopher Oldfather, there's really no comparison

mikkeljs

I just started working on Ligeti´s etude no. 14A   :o Only memorized the first 2 bars so far. And Haydns sonata no. 57 in F major.

I will soon post a recording from my first soire, where I played Schoenberg op. 25 and Ives´s Three-page-sonata.  :)