What are you playing?

Started by Maciek, April 13, 2007, 03:44:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChamberNut

Twinkle, twinkle, little star.  On the Cello.   ;D

Haffner

Quote from: ChamberNut on February 28, 2008, 10:22:27 AM
Twinkle, twinkle, little star.  On the Cello.   ;D

Fun! I still can only play the easier bits from the 1st and 3rd movement of opus 132 on the cello. But, playing those is so emotionally involving for me I often don't feel like playing anything after!

greg

Quote from: mikkeljs on February 28, 2008, 09:41:14 AM
I just started working on Ligeti´s etude no. 14A   :o Only memorized the first 2 bars so far. And Haydns sonata no. 57 in F major.

I will soon post a recording from my first soire, where I played Schoenberg op. 25 and Ives´s Three-page-sonata.  :)
cool! I'd love to hear!

ChamberNut

Quote from: Haffner on February 28, 2008, 10:31:50 AM

Fun! I still can only play the easier bits from the 1st and 3rd movement of opus 132 on the cello. But, playing those is so emotionally involving for me I often don't feel like playing anything after!

Wow, that would be nice to play that some day.....way in the future.  :D

The greatest challenge just starting to learn the cello (for me) is getting and maintaining a proper grip on the bow and finger placements.  But damn......I'm loving it!  :)

greg

Quote from: ChamberNut on February 28, 2008, 10:45:15 AM
Wow, that would be nice to play that some day.....way in the future.  :D

The greatest challenge just starting to learn the cello (for me) is getting and maintaining a proper grip on the bow and finger placements.  But damn......I'm loving it!  :)
you make me sad.
Now you're making me fantasize about learning to play the cello, when I don't have one.  :'(

btpaul674

Currently working on Rautavaara's 1st Piano Sonata.

orbital

Two movements only  :-\ from English Suite No.3. Or make that 4 movements ;D Sarabande, the other arrangement of Sarabande, Gavottes Nos 1 &2. I don't think I can tackle the Prelude and Gigue at this point  :P but I'll try to move on with the rest.

c#minor

Bach Fugue No. 2 in c minor from WTC. Need to clean up my playing, all Romantic all the time can start to make the playing sloppy. 

Haffner

ChamberNut

My Cello Instructor was mentioning last night that my cello bow is dreadfully horrible (I am renting my cello, bow, case, as I just started a few months ago).

He mentioned that his instructor had told him "Make certain you get at least a so-so OK cello, but make sure you have a REALLY good cello bow".

So, I'll go back to the rental place and try out a bunch of different bows.

My instructor mentioned his Cello bow is worth 1/3 the amount of his Cello!  :o  His cello bow alone is worth $10,000  :o  Needless to say mine won't be anywhere near that price range.  ;D

karlhenning

Beginnings are perforce much more modest in aim  8)

bwv 1080

I have not played guitar in several months and have been taking up piano, trying to build a technique

I am close to having Schumann's Kinderszenen no 7 down

Starting on Bach's Am Invention

ChamberNut

Quote from: ChamberNut on March 28, 2008, 07:48:20 AM
My Cello Instructor was mentioning last night that my cello bow is dreadfully horrible (I am renting my cello, bow, case, as I just started a few months ago).

He mentioned that his instructor had told him "Make certain you get at least a so-so OK cello, but make sure you have a REALLY good cello bow".

Even with my moderate at best technique, a cello bow in great condition makes a huge difference!  ;D

orbital

Quote from: bwv 1080 on March 28, 2008, 08:11:15 AM

I am close to having Schumann's Kinderszenen no 7 down

Starting on Bach's Am Invention
Traumerei to Am is quite a leap  :o
Incidentally, I've started the aminor invention myself recently then switched to the Allemande from BWV 965, not going very good so far  :-\

greg

Playing a lot of the Andante from Prokofiev's 4th sonata......
just sat down and worked on much of it a few hours straight, couldn't stop  8)

some passages, like the beginning up until the first variation are pretty easy, so i can play them without much difficulty, but of course much of it i can only play one hand at a time  :P

just finished revisiting his own recording of that movement..... he plays the arpeggiated variations too fast, i think. I know it's silly for me to be saying that, but it doesn't sound as "sneaky" or exotic as it would at a very slightly slower tempo....... though of course I'm also jealous of his mad skills, forgetting how fast he did play it.

Joe Barron

Right now, I'm learning the Gershwin's Prelude No. 2. Fun, but the octaves combined with seconds and fifths on page two are uncomfortable for my right hand. And there are several ways to do uit: jazz eights or even note values?

mikkeljs

Quote from: GGGGRRREEG on June 04, 2008, 06:10:17 PM
Playing a lot of the Andante from Prokofiev's 4th sonata......
just sat down and worked on much of it a few hours straight, couldn't stop  8)

some passages, like the beginning up until the first variation are pretty easy, so i can play them without much difficulty, but of course much of it i can only play one hand at a time  :P

just finished revisiting his own recording of that movement..... he plays the arpeggiated variations too fast, i think. I know it's silly for me to be saying that, but it doesn't sound as "sneaky" or exotic as it would at a very slightly slower tempo....... though of course I'm also jealous of his mad skills, forgetting how fast he did play it.

Really cool that you play it!  :o Hey, say to you self, that you will learn the piece perfectly, and then just do it, whatever it takes. I´m sure it will work. I just heard a ...(don´t know the english word)..., but it says: You learn to swim when the water it up to your shoulders. ;)

greg

Quote from: mikkeljs on June 30, 2008, 11:15:41 AM
Really cool that you play it!  :o Hey, say to you self, that you will learn the piece perfectly, and then just do it, whatever it takes. I´m sure it will work. I just heard a ...(don´t know the english word)..., but it says: You learn to swim when the water it up to your shoulders. ;)
Very true saying- in fact, with guitar i started with the hardest stuff mixed in with easier stuff- i don't like the "start with boring easy stuff" attitude that most people take very seriously. I say, dive into everything.
I've been kinda playing through it when I feel like it, though have taken a strong interest in the first movement of the 2nd sonata the past few days. It's a VERY easy movement, i swear, half the time you don't even have to worry about your left hand.  ;D
But realistically, yeah, i'll get there. I'd love to be able to play through a couple of his sonatas by memory- that'll just take some practice, maybe if it's even only a few minutes a day, over the years.

mikkeljs

Quote from: GGGGRRREEG on June 30, 2008, 12:22:01 PM
Very true saying- in fact, with guitar i started with the hardest stuff mixed in with easier stuff- i don't like the "start with boring easy stuff" attitude that most people take very seriously. I say, dive into everything.
I've been kinda playing through it when I feel like it, though have taken a strong interest in the first movement of the 2nd sonata the past few days. It's a VERY easy movement, i swear, half the time you don't even have to worry about your left hand.  ;D
But realistically, yeah, i'll get there. I'd love to be able to play through a couple of his sonatas by memory- that'll just take some practice, maybe if it's even only a few minutes a day, over the years.

I also always wanted to play the something difficult, when I was younger. I studied the first mvt of Griegs piano concerto when I was 10, and 1st mvt of Thaikovskys piano concerto, only by listening from a recording, when I was 8.  :o I think learning many notes and playing fast is not a big deal. As a teacher, I know, always says: Every child can move their fingers fast without problems.

greg

Quote from: mikkeljs on June 30, 2008, 11:34:15 PM
I also always wanted to play the something difficult, when I was younger. I studied the first mvt of Griegs piano concerto when I was 10, and 1st mvt of Thaikovskys piano concerto, only by listening from a recording, when I was 8.  :o I think learning many notes and playing fast is not a big deal. As a teacher, I know, always says: Every child can move their fingers fast without problems.
LOL!  :D
I love that bold part...