What are you playing?

Started by Maciek, April 13, 2007, 03:44:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greg

QuoteWhen I listen to Rhapsody, Dragonforce, Children of Bodom, Kamelot, etc.
I've heard maybe one or two songs by Dragonforce and some other band similar to them. I agree about the overproduced sound. A lot of simple patterns that aren't very interesting, although the overall effect can be pretty striking.... maybe that's all they're going for?

Joe_Campbell

How's Prokofiev's 6th Sonata coming, Greg?

Haffner

Quote from: G$ on November 17, 2008, 02:30:35 PM
I've heard maybe one or two songs by Dragonforce and some other band similar to them. I agree about the overproduced sound. A lot of simple patterns that aren't very interesting, although the overall effect can be pretty striking.... maybe that's all they're going for?

The music is stuck in I-IV-IV cruise control. Malmsteen completely wore out the play-as-fast-as-you-can-over-the-same-three-or-four-chords thang. Back in 1986.It's a circus act: "oooh, he's the fastest, no he is". Rarely is there anything memorable and even less often than that musically adventurous.  It just doesn't happen. A great remedy to being oversaturated by the Pro-Tools worshipping shred duds is to break out Frank Zappa's "Shut Up 'N Play Yer Guitar". Although I'm not wild about all of Zappa's work, this album truly does experiment in an often devastatingly creative way. The bands we mentioned above basically live to be Helloween (yawn).

karlhenning

karlhenning

Quote from: AndyD. on November 21, 2008, 09:53:24 AM
KARLOVSKOVICH!

Was thinking of you the other day.

Why? One line:

José Grecos de Muertos

Haffner

Quote from: karlhenning on November 21, 2008, 09:57:23 AM

Why? One line:

José Grecos de Muertos

Choo got eet, maing!

karlhenning

Quote from: Sheldon Kornpett, Dentist & Rogue AgentPlease God, don't let me die on West 31st Street!

Haffner

Quote from: karlhenning on November 21, 2008, 09:57:23 AM

Why? One line:

José Grecos de Muertos

Serpentine! Serpentine!

mn dave

greg

Quote from: JCampbell on November 17, 2008, 03:41:36 PM
How's Prokofiev's 6th Sonata coming, Greg?
ha, mainly practicing the first few pages, still..... getting better and better at that bar with the ascending sixteenth notes. But I haven't actually been playing it much at all, every now and then I just go on the keyboard and mess around, and if i get to it, i get to it.  8)

Quote from: AndyD. on November 21, 2008, 10:36:28 AM
please god, don't let me die on west 31st street

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070113155442AA31NOM
who, who wrote that? or is that just some random thing you found?

Haffner

Quote from: G$ on December 04, 2008, 04:34:56 PM
ha, mainly practicing the first few pages, still..... getting better and better at that bar with the ascending sixteenth notes. But I haven't actually been playing it much at all, every now and then I just go on the keyboard and mess around, and if i get to it, i get to it.  8)

who, who wrote that? or is that just some random thing you found?

It's from the original "In-Laws". If you haven't seen it, check it out.

Frumaster

I'm trying to play the Goldberg Variations.  How difficult are these supposed to be?  I'm already hung up on the 1st Variation!  My left hand is definitey weak.  The part where the bass switches over and plays the previous treble part is impossible right now.  I played it for 4 hours today and I can't even get halfway through it.

aquablob

Quote from: Frumaster on February 05, 2009, 07:13:00 PM
I'm trying to play the Goldberg Variations.  How difficult are these supposed to be?  I'm already hung up on the 1st Variation!  My left hand is definitey weak.  The part where the bass switches over and plays the previous treble part is impossible right now.  I played it for 4 hours today and I can't even get halfway through it.

Ha — good luck!

Much easier is the set of variations I wrote on Cage's 4'33". :D

brassbandmaestro

We are playing Endeavour by the band composer Philip Sparke. Quite a challenging piece of music!

Our MD said well done basses last night! So no bad coming from the MD too!

secondwind

Up late trying to redevelop some basset horn chops to play Mozart's Serenade #10, aka the Gran Partita (KV 361) in a rehearsal Sunday afternoon.  This glorious piece is one of the four or five reasons to own a basset horn in the first place, so I will play it any chance I get.  The difficulty with an instrument I only play a few times a year is that I feel like I'm starting all over each time I pick it up, but for Mozart, it's worth it!  :)

secondwind

I'm doing the last few days of practicing for a chamber music class recital this coming Sunday.  I'll be playing two pieces--a Duo Concertant for clarinet, horn, and piano by a 19th century Czech composer, Sobeck, based on a theme from Don Giovanni--kind of a piece of fluff, but with far too many places for my fingers to fall off the keys!--and a Nocturne for the same instrumentation by a local composer whose pieces I have played a few times before--not difficult, but it always makes me nervous to have the composer in the audience. ( After all, he actually knows how he wants it to sound, and I always look anxiously at his face after playing, hoping to see a smile and not a scowl.  It is different with a living composer.  No matter how badly I may butcher a piece by Mozart or Beethoven, either they're beyond caring, or at least they're somewhere out of my sight, so I don't have to know how much they care!)

One last rehearsal Thursday night, and then a couple of days to spend hoping that I'll play my best and praying that I won't play my worst!  And, of course, trying to keep the whole thing in perspective. . . we're amateurs, we do this for F-U-N. ;D

karlhenning

secondwind

Thanks, I'll try.  Must remember--motto is:  Have fun and play the best I can.  Motto is NOT:  Play perfectly or commit ritual seppuku immediately after less-than-perfect performance.