What are you playing?

Started by Maciek, April 13, 2007, 03:44:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Air

Chopin: First Ballade
Schumann: Klavierkonzert Op. 54
Bach: P&F 20 WTC I
Shostakovich: P&F No. 16

Still pondering WHICH Beethoven, Mozart, or Haydn sonata.  ;)
"Summit or death, either way, I win." ~ Robert Schumann

secondwind

Is this preparation for a performance?  It sound like a tough lineup! 

Air

Quote from: secondwind on September 30, 2009, 02:05:15 AM
Is this preparation for a performance?  It sound like a tough lineup! 

No, I'm just building up a repertoire.  I'd get exhausted if I had to play the whole thing.  :)
"Summit or death, either way, I win." ~ Robert Schumann

secondwind

Fair enough.  And have you decided which Beethoven, Mozart, or Haydn sonata?

secondwind

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 29, 2009, 05:25:38 PM
Do have fun!
Well, I had some fun.  About as much fun as I can have playing imperfectly with a wretched cold.  But thanks to your excellent advice, I focused as much as possible on the fun parts--those few moments when the sound was exactly what I wanted it to be!  The composer claimed to be pleased with our rendition of his piece (whew!), and many people in the audience, including of course my fellow chamber music classmates and comrades in arms (I think we've established that clarinets at least can be lethal weapons) had kind things to say.  And I enjoyed listening to the other pieces on the program (even while recognizing their various imperfections).  I remain convinced, however, that it would be more fun to play better, so I will return to practice directly.   ;D

karlhenning

secondwind

Just returned from the local composers' society concert, at which I played (for the second time) a trio for clarinet, horn and piano.  The concert was, as usual, quite a mixed bag of styles, ensembles, instruments, voices, and just about everything else.  I am encouraged that there are people writing music, and although nothing that I heard tonight might qualify as great music, there was a lot of good music--there was wit, there was tenderness, there was intelligence and even some adventurousness.  Although most (probably not all) of the performers were amateurs or students, there was some fine playing as well.  All in all, an encouraging evening, and I was very happy to be part of it.  I feel privileged to be asked by a composer to play his/her music--it feels like an honor and a responsibility, kind of like taking charge of someone's first-born for a year or two. 

mikkeljs

Brahms: Drei Intermezzi op. 117
Alkan: Scerzo Diabolico and another etude
Scriabin: 2 dances op. 74
Prokofiev: Sonata no. 3

am considering to play Alkans Grande Sonata soon maybe.

mikkeljs

Quote from: mikkeljs on December 16, 2009, 12:18:18 PM
Brahms: Drei Intermezzi op. 117
Alkan: Scerzo Diabolico and another etude
Scriabin: 2 dances op. 74
Prokofiev: Sonata no. 3

am considering to play Alkans Grande Sonata soon maybe.

just got the permission today from my teacher to play Alkans Sonata!  8)

secondwind

Wonderful!  I like Alkan.  The lineup sounds pretty ambitious!

secondwind

I'm getting out my basset horn tonight to play Mendelssohn's first concertpiece for clarinet, basset horn, and piano in a community concert.  I could use a couple more years to practice the part  :-[, but I'll play as many of the notes as I can and try to have fun with it. 

karlhenning

Do! As much fun as the traffic allows!

secondwind

Now working on the second concertpiece for clarinet, basset horn, and piano (Mendelssohn).  The basset horn is really getting a workout these days!  I may actually learning how to play the thing!   ;D We had a good coaching session today with the teacher of the pianist--amazing how much difference a good coach can make in a short time!  Now, if we can just retain what we learned today and add to it. . .   Next week we'll have a coaching session with the teacher of the clarinetist--one of the grand old men of the local clarinet world.  Maybe he can help me find somewhere to breath in the slow movement. . . or teach me circular breathing . . .?  It would come in handy from time to time. 

PaulR

During this semester, I haven't been playing much, due to student teaching and not having a direction to go in, but now that it's over, I would like to try to work on Koussevitsky's "Valse Miniature", the other movements to Weinberg's "Sonata for Double Bass"  (I did movements 3 and 4 from it already on my recital ((Which I am considering putting on youtube)), and Serge Lancen's "Concerto for bass".

hjonkers

Beethoven sonata op.57, Chopin Nocturne op.62/1 and Rachmaninoff ET op.39/8. Lots of work ahead yet... 

Saul

Right now I'm playing Mendelssohn's Spinning Song.

mikkeljs

greg

Go outside and play a video game, you young whippersnappers.

I'm not playing anything, either. Not really interested in performing other peoples' music, anyways (unless I know them). ;D

mikkeljs

Quote from: Greg on June 12, 2010, 02:15:20 PM
Go outside and play a video game, you young whippersnappers.

I'm not playing anything, either. Not really interested in performing other peoples' music, anyways (unless I know them). ;D

But somehow I had ambitions before, at least for performing my own stuff or maybe a Sorabji work someday. But not anymore. I just had my bachelor exam last week, and I got a lower mark than when I got in 3½ years ago. 3½ years hard work for nothing! I was even satisfying with my performance, which is quite rare, and I had looked so much forward to this exam. The reason for the low mark was that I concentrated only on my bad site such as romantic melodic repertoir like Chopin and Brahms. But since I spent all the time working on that, I would expect to have a higher mark. I can´t relate to that mark logically or when I compare with others.  Therefore I have stopped playing completely for now. Only if someone will help me radically (and I already had the best teacher in DK for 3 years), I will play again. My whole picture is turned upside down, so has been just drinking (and composing) for a week. Will probably not practice for a couple of months at least.

greg

Although I don't think one little exam can judge how you are as a pianist... (probably not a good idea to take it too seriously)
But yeah, just take your time and start playing again when you feel like it.  8)