What are you playing?

Started by Maciek, April 13, 2007, 03:44:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikkeljs

Quote from: Greg on June 14, 2010, 04:47:34 AM
Although I don't think one little exam can judge how you are as a pianist... (probably not a good idea to take it too seriously)
But yeah, just take your time and start playing again when you feel like it.  8)

Thanks for the support.  :) Hopefully I will start practicing again one day. In that case I will dedicate all the practicing to a Sorabji work. Perhabs the Opus Archimagicum, and then I could maybe study and record it bit by bit, so I don´t have to prepare a huge program. Just need some advice how to put recordings together.

But so far I can´t think about piano without getting sad and angry, so it´s impossible for me to work at the moment.

PaulR

So, after a couple of lessons, I am definitely getting Koussevitsky's Valse Miniature prepared, and Vanhal Concerto in E Maj,  prepared for a possible audition for grad school. Will be a fun summer!

mikkeljs

After a whole month without practicing, I feel soon ready to work again. Have decided to study and record Sorabjis 2nd Symphony for piano, large orchestra, organ, chorus and soloists, which in fact seems to be a fusion between a piano work and the mentioned. It´s written as a piano solo work and it seems that Sorabji didn´t intented to orchestrate it at all. The work should be as hard to play as the most difficult by Sorabji, and since other unperformed pieces have a greater popularity among Sorabji entusiasts, I hope that I can have this project for myself for many years.

As I usually spent 80-90% of the practicing time for preparing a united execution of a longer program, I would like to record it bit by bit, to save the time. Have been working a little on Opus Archimagicum today, but Im afraid if Tellef Johnson will be done with it first, so I decided to go for the 2nd Symphony KSS51.

rappy

Just played Schubert D.894, 1st movement in concert, here's the live recording from today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXRShI2HOkE

Enjoy :)

Philoctetes

Quote from: rappy on December 17, 2010, 04:10:21 PM
Just played Schubert D.894, 1st movement in concert, here's the live recording from today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXRShI2HOkE

Enjoy :)

Thanks for posting that.  :)

rappy

And now an improvisated waltz on a "microtonal" piano! :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXnTtqTlltE

music4ever

I just found a really beautiful piano piece by Beethoven; I heard of it somewhere because it was quite spectacular that some Australian guy (yes thats right: not Austrian!!) found it in a library in 2008! In the booklet of the first edition they write  that this is for sure the last piece Beethoven wrote for the piano. It's really such a nice piece, in a way really strange (opens whith a augmented chord) and the part in the middle is not easy because of the thirds. I live in Italy and when I played it the first time I had this geat feeling that probably now I'm the first person in my country to play this music from Beethoven! Questo e stato meraviglioso!
The publisher of this piece is a german company who run a website called Inter-Note. The link to the piece that I really recommend to you is here: http://inter-note.com/nvd/result.jsp?query=Klavierst%C3%BCck+%28%22Bagatelle%22%29+mit+kritischem+Bericht+

emma84

Ravel, Rachmaninov, Chopin, Tchaikovsky.

Muzition

I'm currently working on two unaccompanied clarinet pieces by Koechlin.

DavidW

Quote from: Muzition on September 08, 2011, 05:11:17 PM

Boy MI is going to freak out when he sees this! :D

bwv 1080

http://www.youtube.com/v/9c2IsbIi9Hg

Early 19th century banjo piece

transcribed by Frank Converse in the 1860s who wrote:

The first banjo I ever heard was in the hands of a colored man--a bright mulatto--whose name I have forgotten. He frequently visited Elmira and the neighboring villages, playing and singing and passing his hat for collections. His repertoire was not very extensive, but, with his comicalities, sufficed to gain him a living. I cannot say that I learned anything from his execution, which, though amusing, was limited to the thumb and first finger,--pulling or picking the strings with both. He was quite conceited as to his abilities (pardonable in banjo players, I believe), and to impress his listeners with a due appreciation of them, he would announce that such a trifling circumstance as the banjo being out of tune caused him no inconvenience and so, with a seemingly careless fumbling of the pegs, he would disarrange the tuning--fro de banjo out a tune, he said--but merely pitching the second string a semitone higher.

The following morceaux, which I still recall, was his piece de resistance with the instrument frod out a tune, and thinking it may amuse your readers, I give it.

Mirror Image

Quote from: DavidW on September 08, 2011, 07:17:12 PM
Boy MI is going to freak out when he sees this! :D

No, I'm not freaking out. I already knew she was working on them. She's a friend of mine on Facebook.

karlhenning

Quote from: Muzition on September 08, 2011, 05:11:17 PM

Which? Are they public domain? Published? Your fellow clarinetists want to know!

Thread duty:

My own Irreplaceable Doodles (clarinet unaccompanied), as part of a benefit concert here in Boston this Tuesday evening.

karlhenning

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 08, 2011, 09:17:55 PM
No, I'm not freaking out. I already knew she was working on them. She's a friend of mine on Facebook.

Ah-ha! I could be connecting dots . . . .

TheGSMoeller

Friend of mine just asked me to write a piece in the style of Baroque for an app-video game he is designing. So I am hearing the small amount I've finished over and over.

karlhenning

[ cross post ]

Tonight, my own Irreplaceable Doodles as part of this event:

PaulR

Currently playing for solo:  2nd movement of Vanhal Bass Concerto, Bouree 1 and 2 from Bach's 3rd cello suite

Currently playing for orchestra:  Pieces by David Lang, Amy Beth Kirsten, and Ingram Marshall.

Lisztianwagner

Just finished playing now:

Ludwig van Beethoven, Piano Sonata No.14 in C# minor "Moonlight"
Gustav Mahler, Symphony No.1 "Titan", piano transcription of the third movement

Ilaria
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Muzition

The Gondoliers by Gilbert and Sullivan.