What are you playing?

Started by Maciek, April 13, 2007, 03:44:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisztianwagner

Just finished playing  :)

Ludwig van Beethoven, Piano Sonata No.9 - Rondò: Allegro comodo

Ilaria
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Muzition

I'm playing 3 of my own pieces on bass clarinet today, and another 3 of my own pieces on Bb clarinet tomorrow.

madaboutmahler

Playing a nice variety of things.

My piano teacher at the Junior Department at the Royal Academy of Music has set me the ambitious task of learning Chopin's C Minor Nocturne. Have been attempting it in the last few weeks and it is getting better!

In the piano trio I formed with friends of mine, in which I am playing the cello, we are attempting Beethoven's D Major 'Ghost' Trio, great piece but very difficult! Also, I am transcribing some pieces from Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker to play in the trio as well which would be great fun!

Also attempting to play some of my own compositions on the piano, which is proving rather difficult! Especially my 'Romance for piano'!
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Lisztianwagner

A bit of Chopin:

Prelude Op. 28 No. 7
Valse Op. 64 No. 1 "Petit Chien"

The waltz is a rather difficult to play, but very beautiful :)

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

ibanezmonster

http://www.youtube.com/v/b9RJXWxth5g
Contrary to how it may sound, the "rhythm guitar"/"riffs" (not sure you can call it that) are actually harder to play than the lead solos, mainly because the string skipping is insane.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Muzition on October 22, 2011, 08:06:08 AM
I'm playing 3 of my own pieces on bass clarinet today, and another 3 of my own pieces on Bb clarinet tomorrow.

How'd they go?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mn Dave

I'd like to play my guitar but in our home it is not possible.  :'(

madaboutmahler

Of to a rehearsal with the Misbourne Symphony Orchestra now - the Holst Planets suite. I shall be playing the organ part! :) The concert is next Saturday, and will also contain one of my own pieces which the MSO commissioned from me. If you just happen to be in the Buckinghamshire area of England next week, please come along!  ;)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: madaboutmahler on November 06, 2011, 04:35:34 AM
Of to a rehearsal with the Misbourne Symphony Orchestra now - the Holst Planets suite. I shall be playing the organ part! :)

What a masterpiece, it must very exciting to play in it :) I know The Planets is also scored for organ, but which movements include that instrument? I'm afraid I can't hear its sound clearly.....

Best wishes for the concert! :)

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on November 06, 2011, 07:04:58 AM
What a masterpiece, it must very exciting to play in it :) I know The Planets is also scored for organ, but which movements include that instrument? I'm afraid I can't hear its sound clearly.....

Best wishes for the concert! :)

Certainly! The organ features quite a lot in Mars, has the melody along with lower strings at the end of Saturn, has a massive solo glissando in Uranus (which you should certainly check out Mackerras' performance on youtube for!) and one held pedal for a short while just before the choir enters in Neptune. :) The rest of the time in the piece, I can just sit back and enjoy watching the rest of the orchestra - in which many friends of mine play! :)

Thank you Ilaria!
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: madaboutmahler on November 06, 2011, 09:12:29 AM
Certainly! The organ features quite a lot in Mars, has the melody along with lower strings at the end of Saturn, has a massive solo glissando in Uranus (which you should certainly check out Mackerras' performance on youtube for!) and one held pedal for a short while just before the choir enters in Neptune. :) The rest of the time in the piece, I can just sit back and enjoy watching the rest of the orchestra - in which many friends of mine play! :)

Thank you Ilaria!

Thanks for the explanation :)

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on November 06, 2011, 09:31:00 AM
Thanks for the explanation :)

My pleasure, Ilaria! :)

One of the performances when the organ is most present is BBCPO/Mackerras which was a live Proms performance around 2 years ago. You can listen here on youtube, listen to that amazing glissando at the climax of Uranus! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGfwxpuY2jY

:o ;D
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: madaboutmahler on November 06, 2011, 09:38:48 AM
My pleasure, Ilaria! :)

One of the performances when the organ is most present is BBCPO/Mackerras which was a live Proms performance around 2 years ago. You can listen here on youtube, listen to that amazing glissando at the climax of Uranus! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGfwxpuY2jY

:o ;D

Thank you for the link Daniel, Uranus is one of my favourite movements of The Planets, along with Venus and Jupiter (although I love all the sections); I listened to it very carefully, now I've finally caught the organ part :)
Now I'm doing the same with Karajan's recording ;)

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on November 06, 2011, 09:50:48 AM
Thank you for the link Daniel, Uranus is one of my favourite movements of The Planets, along with Venus and Jupiter (although I love all the sections); I listened to it very carefully, now I've finally caught the organ part :)
Now I'm doing the same with Karajan's recording ;)

My pleasure, Ilaria. Glad you found the organ in that movement! :) We nearly share the favourite movements, mine are Venus, Uranus and Neptune. But like you, I absolutely love all the movements, The Planets is such an amazing masterpiece! Make sure to take part in my latest poll about it! ;)
Enjoy the Karajan - great recording!
I should really find another recording of the Planets! I have been listening to the same one for years now...
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Lisztianwagner

I've been trying to make a piano arragement of Holst's "Two Songs without Words", Country Song :) Rather funny, but as I haven't got the original score for orchestra, I have to play the keyboard by ear....

Mirror Image

At one point, a couple of nights ago, I thought I played a melody or musical phrase from Shostakovich's 8th symphony. It turns out it wasn't exactly a musical quote, but it was pretty damn near close to it. 8)

ibanezmonster

accidentally modified...

Mirror Image

It looks like I'm heading into a Gospel direction (for now) as I have a friend who is really into this music and wants to get together and form a band. I can't imagine me playing Gospel music at all, but I guess, wanting to be a versatile guitarist, I'll have to give this music a chance. There's still some music I haven't tried to play: funk (though I've played R&B a good bit), Christian rock, any kind of World music (Indian, African, Chinese, etc.), and Latin (there's a wide array of music in this genre). I would love to get better at flamenco. I love Spanish guitar so much, but I'm afraid that I haven't acquired their unique sense of rhythm yet. Very difficult music to play.

ibanezmonster

Gospel should be pretty easy to learn. Flamenco, on the other hand... not so much. I knew a guy who played it, but I don't play any stuff (rarely do I ever even pick with my fingers).

Mirror Image

Quote from: Greg on January 03, 2012, 03:58:59 PM
Gospel should be pretty easy to learn. Flamenco, on the other hand... not so much. I knew a guy who played it, but I don't play any stuff (rarely do I ever even pick with my fingers).

I don't think this guy who is asking me to play Gospel music with him realizes that I'm, essentially, a jazz influenced player. When I told him, I'm really into alternate chord voicings and the textural aspects of guitar, I don't think he full realized what I was saying. :) Oh well, he'll find out.

Flamenco is a b**** to play. I'm having a hard time as, like you, I hardly have used my fingers to pick strings. I just like the articulation I get with a pick more than a finger, but I could always buy fingerpicks.