What are you playing?

Started by Maciek, April 13, 2007, 03:44:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

I quit...

http://www.youtube.com/v/t-CjLfu9zCk

Obviously, these guys aren't well known or at least I don't think they are, but I think they display a great gift and they play this music just as naturally as they breathe.

ibanezmonster

Hmm... I might have to learn some of that.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Greg on January 03, 2012, 08:27:09 PM
Hmm... I might have to learn some of that.

I would but I suffer from CPADT (Can't Play A Damn Thing). :D

ibanezmonster

I accidentally modified my post about which instruments I'm learning...  ::)

High notes are very difficult on both instruments. I play a wooden recorder now, since I don't like the feel of the cheap, plastic ones that we played in elementary school. The tone quality is nice, but it seems that the high notes have a very limited dynamic range- you simply can't produce them under forte, and the lowest notes seem to not work over mf.
Okay, now that I can play the high notes, I'm wondering wtf is up with the fingering charts. All you have to do to produce a note an octave higher is to 3/4 cover the bottom hole (goes up to the D above the treble staff). The fingerings for the Baroque system aren't even in tune, but maybe it's supposed to be like that?

canninator

How strange, I never noticed this thread before but it looks as though it doesn't get a lot of traffic.

Now playing the Sarabande from J.S. Bach Lute suite in C minor (BWV 997) (transposed to A minor)

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

canninator

Quote from: karlhenning on January 06, 2012, 03:59:09 AM
Are you a lutenist?

No, a guitarist hence the transposition to A minor in standard tuning. Playing the C minor suite on a regular guitar can be done with unusual tunings and/or a capo. Transposing is preferable for two reasons 1) You get lots of nice open strings so you can design a fingering with a great legato sound. The open string on a capo'd guitar is much less resonant. 2) Transposing means you can play in an overall lower register (as opposed to when you have a capo) so you are closer to the intended natural sound of the lute.

My teacher is a professional lutenist (as well as guitarist) and has often tried to get me to play the lute but I have thus far resisted. I still play a lot of lute repertoire, just not on the instrument it was intended for!

Karl Henning

Then, too, a lot of music works very nicely in guitar transcription : )
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Lisztianwagner

Johann Strauss II -  Tik-Tak Polka op. 365, transcription for solo piano.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

canninator

for this evening

Villa-Lobos: Prelude No.1
Fernando Sor Op 31 No 23

and, as ever, some Carcassi Op 60 studies

madaboutmahler

Finally, I can play the Chopin C Minor Nocturne! After many months of practice! :) Not quite perfect, but I am so happy that it finally sounds more as it should! Also playing a piece from the Handel D Minor Keyboard Suite.
Next piece to learn will be the Brahms A Major Intermezzo OP.18, one of my favourite piano pieces of all time!

Percussion wise, the orchestra I am in (Watford Youth Orchestra) is preparing to perform Scheherezade :D I shall be going along to rehearsals soon. :)

Chamber music wise,

I have a new duet partner! She is amazing!!!!!!! :D We started off playing Salut d'amour together (you can see where this is going...) and I am also transcribing Scheherezade for us to play, and also some Dvorak Slavonic Dances and pieces from Prokofiev R+J. She also wants to do the Bartok Romanian Folk Dances and Brahms A Major sonata with me. :) She likes Mahler too, so am just in the process of finding some Mahler that is romantic (not too difficult in that respect...) that could be transcribed for violin and piano... Also, so inspired by her that I shall be writing a violin sonata for her. :)
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: madaboutmahler on February 03, 2012, 01:58:28 PM
Finally, I can play the Chopin C Minor Nocturne!

Do you mean Nocturne Op.48? There's more than one piece in that key.....
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on February 03, 2012, 02:12:20 PM
Do you mean Nocturne Op.48? There's more than one piece in that key.....

Yes, I do! Thank you, Ilaria. :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: madaboutmahler on February 04, 2012, 09:02:13 AM
Yes, I do! Thank you, Ilaria. :)

That's wonderful, this work is quite hard to play! ;D
Among the pieces I've been studying, there's also a Chopin's nocturne...Op.32 No.1 :)

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on February 04, 2012, 11:11:20 AM
That's wonderful, this work is quite hard to play! ;D
Among the pieces I've been studying, there's also a Chopin's nocturne...Op.32 No.1 :)

Not just quite hard!!!!! So difficult... or it was so difficult... I think it sounds rather good now. :)

Beautiful piece! I love playing Chopin!
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: madaboutmahler on February 04, 2012, 01:21:58 PM
Not just quite hard!!!!! So difficult... or it was so difficult... I think it sounds rather good now. :)

Beautiful piece! I love playing Chopin!

Haha, very good. :)

Me too, I really love playing Chopin! His music is not simple to be performed at all, but it's so enchanting, so passionate!

canninator

A Sunday night Mazurka, Adelita by Tarrega

canninator

First time playing for today, Sarabande for guitar, FP179 by Francis Poulenc. Lovely! Later, if I have time, Quatres Pieces Breve by Frank Martin (a work in progress).

canninator

For a bit of fun, Segoviana by Darius Milhaud. Score doesn't look too bad but no fingerlings.

Lisztianwagner

Just finished playing:

Ludwig van Beethoven
Piano Sonata No.14

I. Adagio sostenuto
II. Allegretto

I'm very happy I'm finally able to play the two first movements of Beethoven's Sonata in a very good "Ashkenazy-style". ;D