What are you playing?

Started by Maciek, April 13, 2007, 03:44:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madaboutmahler

Wonderful, Ilaria!

And for me, I am learning to play Brahms' Intermezzo in A Major from the Opus 118 set. Beautiful piece, but quite a challenge...! After that, I wish to try and learn to play the Rach C# Minor prelude. :D (although, it might take quite a while!!!)

Percussion-wise... in the Watford Youth Orchestra, are next concert will include Smetana's Vltava, a modern trumpet concerto and RK's Scheherezade. Really looking forward to it! We shall begin our rehearsals again very soon. And as I am the only percussionist that comes to rehearsals, apart from the timpanist, I get to choose whichever instruments I want.... :D :D :D :D I'll probably do a combination of the cymbals, snare drum and tam tam parts for Scheherezade, and a mixture of everything for the others. Really looking forward to it! :)

Conducting-wise, my chamber orchestra will be start this time next week! We'll be doing Prokofiev's Classical Symphony, and some Sibelius chamber orchestra pieces. :)
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Karl Henning

Quote from: madaboutmahler on April 11, 2012, 03:19:51 AM
Wonderful, Ilaria!

And for me, I am learning to play Brahms' Intermezzo in A Major from the Opus 118 set. Beautiful piece, but quite a challenge...!

Don't you mean, Beautiful piece, and quite a challenge...?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

madaboutmahler

Quote from: karlhenning on April 11, 2012, 03:27:57 AM
Don't you mean, Beautiful piece, and quite a challenge...?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

I suppose I do, Karl. Thank you for the correction! ;)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Karl Henning

Many times, the challenge adds to the music's allure for us geeky performers . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

madaboutmahler

Quote from: karlhenning on April 11, 2012, 03:54:01 AM
Many times, the challenge adds to the music's allure for us geeky performers . . . .

haha :) Practising the piece does uplift me... :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Lisztianwagner

Thank you, Daniel! Good luck for the concert with the Watford Youth Orchestra! :)

For the time being, I will leave out the third movement, Presto Agitato, and I will concentrate on other scores I've studied: Rachmaninov's Prelude in C# Minor and Chopin's Nocturne Op.32.
I might also start studying the harpsichord part of Lunar Glare, it looks very interesting.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on April 11, 2012, 06:24:40 AM
Thank you, Daniel! Good luck for the concert with the Watford Youth Orchestra! :)

For the time being, I will leave out the third movement, Presto Agitato, and I will concentrate on other scores I've studied: Rachmaninov's Prelude in C# Minor and Chopin's Nocturne Op.32.
I might also start studying the harpsichord part of Lunar Glare, it looks very interesting.

Thank you, Ilaria! The concert is in June, if anyone can make it! ;)

Good luck with the Rach! And Chopin is so beautiful and rewarding to play. I still play the Chopin C Minor Nocturne... I just love it so much. :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: madaboutmahler on April 11, 2012, 06:32:01 AM
Thank you, Ilaria! The concert is in June, if anyone can make it! ;)

Good luck with the Rach! And Chopin is so beautiful and rewarding to play. I still play the Chopin C Minor Nocturne... I just love it so much. :)

Thank you, I really love that Rach's Prelude :) Yes, Chopin's piano works are quite hard to play, but they're definitely worth learning, such beautiful, brilliant music!
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Lisztianwagner

Just finished practising:

Sergei Rachmaninov
Prelude in C # Minor, Op.3 No.2

canninator

Just starting, Bach 'Prelude, Fugue, and Allegro' BWV 998. A mountain to climb but the view from the summit should be spectacular  :)

Lisztianwagner

This evening:

Fryderyk Chopin
Prelude No.7

Sergei Rachmaninov
Prelude in C # Minor, Op.3 No.2

madaboutmahler

How are you finding the Rachmaninov, Ilaria?

I have also started practising it, and it's not as difficult as I initially thought. I think I have all the notes now, I just need to concentrate on getting the middle section up to speed! :)

Yesterday, in my piano lesson, my teacher and I discussed what I may want to play next. She suggested to me pieces like Prokofiev's 3rd Sonata, Ravel's Miroirs and Beethoven's Appassionata! Going to be doing a bit of Schumann next, but after that I would particularly like to start on those! :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: madaboutmahler on May 13, 2012, 03:13:51 AM
How are you finding the Rachmaninov, Ilaria?

I have also started practising it, and it's not as difficult as I initially thought. I think I have all the notes now, I just need to concentrate on getting the middle section up to speed! :)

Yesterday, in my piano lesson, my teacher and I discussed what I may want to play next. She suggested to me pieces like Prokofiev's 3rd Sonata, Ravel's Miroirs and Beethoven's Appassionata! Going to be doing a bit of Schumann next, but after that I would particularly like to start on those! :)

The same for me, Rach's Prelude is not as difficult as I thought; I've been able to play the Lento and the Tempo Primo sections quite well, but I can't still perform the Agitato as fast as I should do. I hope to become a fine interpreter of Rachmaninov soon, like my model Vladimir Ashkenazy! ;)

Oh, those are wonderful pieces, Beethoven's Appassionata is in my list too, good luck! After Rachmaninov, I think I will finally start practising Chopin's Nocturne Op.32, so excited to begin! ;D

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on May 13, 2012, 03:59:43 AM
The same for me, Rach's Prelude is not as difficult as I thought; I've been able to play the Lento and the Tempo Primo sections quite well, but I can't still perform the Agitato as fast as I should do. I hope to become a fine interpreter of Rachmaninov soon, like my model Vladimir Ashkenazy! ;)

Oh, those are wonderful pieces, Beethoven's Appassionata is in my list too, good luck! After Rachmaninov, I think I will finally start practising Chopin's Nocturne Op.32, so excited to begin! ;D

Yes, I can perform the opening lento now. I can do the Agitato slowly, and am now working on getting it to a better tempo. I can normally do the Tempo Primo, with a few wrong notes though! ;)

Enjoy the Chopin Nocturne, I have played the first of the Opus 32 as well. Really beautiful to play. I still play the C Minor one from Opus 48 very often. It is a very special piece to me and I never want to stop playing it! :)

Thank you, Ilaria! Good luck to you too! :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: madaboutmahler on May 13, 2012, 04:09:03 AM
Yes, I can perform the opening lento now. I can do the Agitato slowly, and am now working on getting it to a better tempo. I can normally do the Tempo Primo, with a few wrong notes though! ;)

Enjoy the Chopin Nocturne, I have played the first of the Opus 32 as well. Really beautiful to play. I still play the C Minor one from Opus 48 very often. It is a very special piece to me and I never want to stop playing it! :)

Thank you, Ilaria! Good luck to you too! :)

Haha, sure, me too; although that Prelude is not as hard to play as many of the other Rachmaninov's compositions, it's not very easy anyway. ;)

Thank you, Daniel :) I haven't started practising the Nocturne at the keyboard yet, but I studied the score rather deeply, both reading it and listening to Ashkenazy/Barenboim/Pollini playing it, such a beautiful, splendid piece! I adore the C minor Op.48 too, I would really like to play it after Op.32.

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on May 13, 2012, 05:14:56 AM
Haha, sure, me too; although that Prelude is not as hard to play as many of the other Rachmaninov's compositions, it's not very easy anyway. ;)

Thank you, Daniel :) I haven't started practising the Nocturne at the keyboard yet, but I studied the score rather deeply, both reading it and listening to Ashkenazy/Barenboim/Pollini playing it, such a beautiful, splendid piece! I adore the C minor Op.48 too, I would really like to play it after Op.32.

Yes, I thought of it as a good piece to start off as a Rachmaninov player. Not the most difficult, but still a challenge! My teacher seems to like the idea of me playing Rachmaninov, so hopefully I'll be playing more of the Preludes and maybe the Etudes Tableaux soon.

The Chopin Nocturnes are certainly all beautiful! :) I hope you enjoy playing it when you start it. Great that you want to learn the C Minor Op.48 too, a very rewarding, special piece to play! :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Lisztianwagner

At the keyboard, just finished playing:

Ludwig van Beethoven
Piano Sonata No.14

I. Adagio sostenuto

Such passionate, beautiful music! ;D

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on June 20, 2012, 12:00:15 PM
At the keyboard, just finished playing:

Ludwig van Beethoven
Piano Sonata No.14

I. Adagio sostenuto

Such passionate, beautiful music! ;D

Wonderful, Ilaria. A beautiful piece to play. It's been at least a year since I last played that movement.... must get the score out again sometime soon! :)

For me, apart from still regularly playing Brahms' A Major Intermezzo Opus 118, Rach C# Minor Prelude, and a short Scarlatti sonata I can not quite remember the number of, I have started to learn some of Ravel's Miroirs, starting with Alborada del Gracioso. Brilliant fun, but very very difficult... ! I have barely got past the first page so far...

Alongside Miroirs, my teacher and I are planning some more Rach preludes and the Beethoven Appassionata to be my next long term projects. Might be a while though... :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: madaboutmahler on June 20, 2012, 02:00:02 PM
Wonderful, Ilaria. A beautiful piece to play. It's been at least a year since I last played that movement.... must get the score out again sometime soon! :)

For me, apart from still regularly playing Brahms' A Major Intermezzo Opus 118, Rach C# Minor Prelude, and a short Scarlatti sonata I can not quite remember the number of, I have started to learn some of Ravel's Miroirs, starting with Alborada del Gracioso. Brilliant fun, but very very difficult... ! I have barely got past the first page so far...

Alongside Miroirs, my teacher and I are planning some more Rach preludes and the Beethoven Appassionata to be my next long term projects. Might be a while though... :)

The Moonlight Sonata (1st and 2nd movement) is quite special for me, it is one of the first pieces I learnt playing. :)

I haven't looked at the piano score of Alborada del Gracioso yet, though thinking of the music, I can certainly imagine it is very difficult! For me, since I will have school exams soon, I haven't got enough time to learn many new compositions, so I'm continuing to practise Rach C# Minor Prelude and Chopin's Nocturne Op.32/1; plus Mahler's Urlicht from the 2nd Symphony. ;)

What a beautiful project! The Appassionata is one of my favourite Beethoven's sonatas, so enchanting, and of course, Rach's preludes are outstanding! Good luck with them if you start studying these piece! :)