What are you playing?

Started by Maciek, April 13, 2007, 03:44:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on June 20, 2012, 02:29:14 PM
The Moonlight Sonata (1st and 2nd movement) is quite special for me, it is one of the first pieces I learnt playing. :)

I haven't looked at the piano score of Alborada del Gracioso yet, though thinking of the music, I can certainly imagine it is very difficult! For me, since I will have school exams soon, I haven't got enough time to learn many new compositions, so I'm continuing to practise Rach C# Minor Prelude and Chopin's Nocturne Op.32/1; plus Mahler's Urlicht from the 2nd Symphony. ;)

What a beautiful project! The Appassionata is one of my favourite Beethoven's sonatas, so enchanting, and of course, Rach's preludes are outstanding! Good luck with them if you start studying these piece! :)

:)
It really is very difficult, however, it is extremely fun to attempt to play! I hope to be able to play the whole piece in a few months. My exam period is also over, but I am extremely worn out with coursework, which should hopefully be over in a few weeks. Then I can concentrate completely on new works and my listening pile! :)
How are you getting along with the Rach C# Minor? Ah, wonderful! :)
One of mine too, thank you, Ilaria! Good luck to you too! :)
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Karl Henning

Speaking strictly as a non-pianist, Alborada del gracioso is a blast : )
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

madaboutmahler

Quote from: karlhenning on June 21, 2012, 03:41:44 AM

It's such a brilliant, fun piece! :D
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: karlhenning on June 21, 2012, 03:41:44 AM
Quote from: madaboutmahler on June 21, 2012, 05:07:53 AM
It's such a brilliant, fun piece! :D

I agree, it's so enchanting and expressive! ;D
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Cogluotobusisletmesi

I'm currently working on Rolf Riehm's "Toccata Orpheus" for solo guitar. It is a highly unusual piece full of extended techniques...one could almost call it a multimedia performance due to the choreography involved!

I'm also working on Elliott Carter's "Shard" on the side. I am enjoying it quite a bit so far.

Karl Henning

Sang these in the choir a couple of weeks ago (music written for the First Church Boston choir by Larry Thomas Bell):

http://www.youtube.com/v/Ohc0ahm_TpQ
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Lisztianwagner

A friend of mine asked me to take a look at his Andante for piano; the score arrived yesterday evening, can't wait to start studying the piece! ;D
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

madaboutmahler

Playing the Rach C# Minor Prelude in a school music event tommorow, very excited but nervous! Hoping it will go well! :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: madaboutmahler on July 10, 2012, 02:21:25 PM
Playing the Rach C# Minor Prelude in a school music event tommorow, very excited but nervous! Hoping it will go well! :)

How wonderful, good luck, Daniel! :)

madaboutmahler

— Ludwig van Beethoven

madaboutmahler

Quote from: madaboutmahler on July 10, 2012, 02:21:25 PM

That was such a great, uplifting and happy evening!!!! Had so much fun! :) :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

PaulR

I have to pick something for my seating auditions in late August.  I've been thinking of Bloch's Meditation Hebraique, or Schubert's Arpeggione Sonata first movement, or doing something I've already done, like a transcription of the Adagio from Shostakovich's Second Ballet Suite.  Whatever I pick, I need to pick soon.

Mirror Image

Right now, I'm trying to re-learn a 20-minute work I wrote titled Painless Objections. There's so many chords to learn again!!!! There are probably 40+ chords in this piece. Also, I don't have the same equipment I did when I wrote this 11 years ago, so the overall sound has changed. Interestingly enough, I came up with this piece a month before 9/11. The general mood is quite ominous so it's quite fascinating that this piece was written to express this kind of feeling.

madaboutmahler

Really looking forward to playing the Brahms A Major Intermezzo (Opus 118) at the school prizegiving today! :) A bit nervous as always, but am very excited! :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

madaboutmahler

Quote from: madaboutmahler on July 19, 2012, 09:35:08 AM
Really looking forward to playing the Brahms A Major Intermezzo (Opus 118) at the school prizegiving today! :) A bit nervous as always, but am very excited! :)

Was such a wonderful evening - was really pleased with my performance and the audience seemed to love it! It feels so wonderful when people comes up to you after the performance and compliment it! :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

liuzerus87

Quote from: madaboutmahler on July 19, 2012, 01:54:04 PM
Was such a wonderful evening - was really pleased with my performance and the audience seemed to love it! It feels so wonderful when people comes up to you after the performance and compliment it! :)

What a great piece. So simple sounding at first, yet so rewarding.

I gave that piece a go myself about a year ago, but my voicing in the middle sections was not nearly good enough.

Good on you for performing it.

madaboutmahler

Quote from: liuzerus87 on July 19, 2012, 03:30:30 PM
What a great piece. So simple sounding at first, yet so rewarding.

I gave that piece a go myself about a year ago, but my voicing in the middle sections was not nearly good enough.

Good on you for performing it.

Yes, and I agree, it's certainly a very rewarding piece to play. Thank you very much! :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Lisztianwagner

Just finished playing:

Karl Henning
Mirage - Piano part

Very enchanting piece. :)

Karl Henning

Thank you, indeed, Ilaria!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: karlhenning on July 24, 2012, 08:59:16 AM
Thank you, indeed, Ilaria!

My pleasure, Karl! I'll start studying the Cello Sonatina soon as well.