What are you playing?

Started by Maciek, April 13, 2007, 03:44:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisztianwagner

Just finished playing:

J. S. Bach
Minuet in G major
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

madaboutmahler

Yesterday, we had our first WYO rehearsal since last term's amazing concert of Scheherezade. I was so excited about it, and was so happy to see everyone again, play the instruments again, and find out what we would be playing! :D For our upcoming winter concert, we're doing a slightly lighter concert, doing Saint-Saens Danse Macabre, some Dvorak Slavonic Dances, possibly the Mozart Clarinet Concerto, and Brahms' Haydn Variations to finish. We started the Danse Macabre and the Haydn Variations yesterday. So much fun to play! Triangle for the Brahms, and then juggling the xylophone, cymbals, triangle and bass drum parts for the Danse Macabre. I love the xylo part in particular! Felt so great to be back at the orchestra, I love it so much! :)

In terms of solo, I'm playing Granados' Orientale on the cello. And on the piano, recently started learning the Aufschwung from Schumann's Fantasiestucke Opus 12. :)

Looking forward to the new Academy term starting next week! :)
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Mirror Image

Quote from: madaboutmahler on September 15, 2012, 07:16:43 AM
Yesterday, we had our first WYO rehearsal since last term's amazing concert of Scheherezade. I was so excited about it, and was so happy to see everyone again, play the instruments again, and find out what we would be playing! :D For our upcoming winter concert, we're doing a slightly lighter concert, doing Saint-Saens Danse Macabre, some Dvorak Slavonic Dances, possibly the Mozart Clarinet Concerto, and Brahms' Haydn Variations to finish. We started the Danse Macabre and the Haydn Variations yesterday. So much fun to play! Triangle for the Brahms, and then juggling the xylophone, cymbals, triangle and bass drum parts for the Danse Macabre. I love the xylo part in particular! Felt so great to be back at the orchestra, I love it so much! :)

In terms of solo, I'm playing Granados' Orientale on the cello. And on the piano, recently started learning the Aufschwung from Schumann's Fantasiestucke Opus 12. :)

Looking forward to the new Academy term starting next week! :)

This is great, Daniel. Playing with an orchestra will give you a better understanding of the inner mechanics of how an orchestra functions. It will also give you a better insight into composing for an orchestra.

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 15, 2012, 07:41:10 AM
This is great, Daniel. Playing with an orchestra will give you a better understanding of the inner mechanics of how an orchestra functions. It will also give you a better insight into composing for an orchestra.
Certainly, John! I have learnt so much already. :) Added to that, it's just so so so so much fun, I love every second of it. :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: madaboutmahler on September 15, 2012, 07:16:43 AM

That sounds a wonderful programme; I would really like to listen to your performances, especially Dvorak's Slavonic Dances and Mozart's Clarinet Concerto. :) Good luck with the Granados and the Schumann!

Just finished practising:
Sergei Rachmaninov
Prelude in C# minor

I enjoyed playing this piece very much, I haven't played it for quite alittle time since I've concentrated on improving Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

madaboutmahler

Thank you, Ilaria! It's so much fun! :)
Hope the Rachmaninov is going well! :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: madaboutmahler on September 15, 2012, 11:15:35 AM
Thank you, Ilaria! It's so much fun! :)
Hope the Rachmaninov is going well! :)

Quite well, thank you! :)
What about Alborada del gracioso? I remember you started learning it........

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on September 15, 2012, 11:54:44 AM
Quite well, thank you! :)
What about Alborada del gracioso? I remember you started learning it........
Glad to hear that! Good luck with continuing it! How are you doing with the Agitato middle passage? I remember when performing it at a school music event, my hands were shaking so much from nerves that it was even more difficult to play accurately!! I was happy with the performance in the end though, and luckily the audience seemed to enjoy it! :)

I think I'm going to return to that in a while.... it's very...very..difficult!  ;D I might try to learn some of the other Miroirs first. :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: madaboutmahler on September 15, 2012, 12:00:22 PM
Glad to hear that! Good luck with continuing it! How are you doing with the Agitato middle passage? I remember when performing it at a school music event, my hands were shaking so much from nerves that it was even more difficult to play accurately!! I was happy with the performance in the end though, and luckily the audience seemed to enjoy it! :)

I think I'm going to return to that in a while.... it's very...very..difficult!  ;D I might try to learn some of the other Miroirs first. :)

Thank you! I've become faster in that passage, although not as quick as I should be yet. Haha, yes, I can imagine, the Agitato is....how can I say....the most critical point (or at least one of the most critical); maybe should I take example from Harpo Marx? ;)

I certainly understand; technically, that one is a very challenging work! About the other Miroirs, my favourites are Noctuelles and La vallée des cloches, though I absolutely love the entire set.

http://www.youtube.com/v/MoTyDD0C93U

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on September 15, 2012, 12:20:33 PM
Thank you! I've become faster in that passage, although not as quick as I should be yet. Haha, yes, I can imagine, the Agitato is....how can I say....the most critical point (or at least one of the most critical); maybe should I take example from Harpo Marx? ;)

I certainly understand; technically, that one is a very challenging work! About the other Miroirs, my favourites are Noctuelles and La vallée des cloches, though I absolutely love the entire set.

http://www.youtube.com/v/MoTyDD0C93U
It certainly is a great part of the work, and certainly great fun to play! :) haha, that was a very enjoyable video! However, I am glad these things didn't happen to me in my school performance of it! ;)

It certainly is! Can barely get past the first page.... I will come back to it though, I would really like to play it. I do love the whole of Miroirs, one of my favourite piano works of all time! :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: madaboutmahler on September 15, 2012, 01:16:12 PM
It certainly is a great part of the work, and certainly great fun to play! :) haha, that was a very enjoyable video! However, I am glad these things didn't happen to me in my school performance of it! ;)

It certainly is! Can barely get past the first page.... I will come back to it though, I would really like to play it. I do love the whole of Miroirs, one of my favourite piano works of all time! :)

Absolutely, Rach's prelude is simply amazing! Haha, I'm pleased you liked the video; that wasn't completely stage illusion, because, concerning the Marx brothers, both Chico amd Harpo Marx were excellent musicians (no instrument for Groucho), and they often played music in their films. :)

Mine also, such thrilling, beautifully atmospheric music! ;D I can share the feeling, I would like to play Alborada del gracioso (as well as the other Miroirs) too; Ravel's music is too enchanting!! :)

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on September 15, 2012, 01:46:40 PM
Absolutely, Rach's prelude is simply amazing! Haha, I'm pleased you liked the video; that wasn't completely stage illusion, because, concerning the Marx brothers, both Chico amd Harpo Marx were excellent musicians (no instrument for Groucho), and they often played music in their films. :)

Mine also, such thrilling, beautifully atmospheric music! ;D I can share the feeling, I would like to play Alborada del gracioso (as well as the other Miroirs) too; Ravel's music is too enchanting!! :)

Certainly!

We found out and started rehearsing two more of our (WYO) pieces for the December concert today: Berlioz's Le carnival romane, and Copland's Rodeo dance. :D Such great fun to play both of them! I love WYO so much! :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Lisztianwagner

Started studying this:

Ludwig van Beethoven
Piano Sonata No.21 'Waldstein'

II - Introduzione: molto adagio

Such beautiful music, I really love playing Beethoven. :)

Lisztianwagner

Robert Schumann
Kinderszenen

No.1: Von fremden Ländern und Menschen.

ibanezmonster

The beginning of Beethoven's op.24 Violin Sonata. On mandolin.  8)

One day I'll figure out how to play that violin hanging on my wall.
Mandolin is such an easy instrument to play. The only thing I have to "learn" is where all the notes are- more like just a process of getting used to where they are, which in reality won't take too much effort. And I enjoy the agility of the instrument; it's easy to play behind your back, on the ground, over your head, etc.

Lisztianwagner

Started studying:

Erik Satie
Gnossienne No.1

Beautiful piece of music!

Karl Henning

That it is! Have fun, Ilaria!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Lisztianwagner

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on May 13, 2013, 07:57:36 AM
Started studying:

Erik Satie
Gnossienne No.1

Beautiful piece of music!

Wonderful, Ilaria!

Playing in the percussion section for Elgar Gerontius last Saturday was absolutely amazing. It was glorious to be part of, and it was certainly a very emotional experience. Amazing piece! :)

This term in youth orchestra we will have our concerts, the first being 'The Planets', and then the second is Copland's Fanfare for the Common Man and Shosty 5. So so so so excited, it's so much brilliant fun! :D

On piano, learning more Brahms late piano music. And on cello, Faure's Elegie, and also the Elgar Cello Concerto! (the latter being a very long term project ;) )
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: madaboutmahler on May 15, 2013, 06:19:14 AM
Wonderful, Ilaria!

Playing in the percussion section for Elgar Gerontius last Saturday was absolutely amazing. It was glorious to be part of, and it was certainly a very emotional experience. Amazing piece! :)

This term in youth orchestra we will have our concerts, the first being 'The Planets', and then the second is Copland's Fanfare for the Common Man and Shosty 5. So so so so excited, it's so much brilliant fun! :D

On piano, learning more Brahms late piano music. And on cello, Faure's Elegie, and also the Elgar Cello Concerto! (the latter being a very long term project ;) )

Thank you, Daniel!

That's great, Elgar's Dream of Gerontius is definitely a stunning work, congratulations! :)
How nice, I haven't listened to Copland's Fanfare yet, but The Planets and Shosty No.5 are masterpieces, it is enough not to make those concerts be missed! Are you going to play in the percussion section again? :) I love playing the glockenspiel or the xylophone in the Holst.

Sounds an amazing project, good luck! :)