The Symphony No.11 Thread

Started by snyprrr, September 19, 2015, 04:08:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snyprrr

I just struck me that all the No.11s I've heard have had something different and special going for them. Of course, the Thread Title is just to draw you in, but, what are some 11s you like. Right off the top I can think of

Shostakovich
Pettersson
Harris
Myaskovsky

I was thinking someone would chime in that Langaard's was the "worst", but, I haven't heard it. What are some more 11s? Brian...

Scion7

Probably this should be bumped to the General Discussion section rather than Composer.   $:)
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

snyprrr

Quote from: Scion7 on September 19, 2015, 04:11:04 PM
Probably this should be bumped to the General Discussion section rather than Composer.   $:)

it's an eyesore, lol!!! :laugh: ok, well, anyhow,- what are your thoughts whilst they fix it?

Scion7

Dunno - maybe Shostakovich's No.11?  (hello, MI)

When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

ibanezmonster

Mirror Image

Quote from: Scion7 on September 19, 2015, 04:55:07 PM
Dunno - maybe Shostakovich's No.11?  (hello, MI)

The 11th from Shostakovich is a marvelous work --- full on Soviet angst (the way I like it). ;) IMHO, 11 is such a strange number because there aren't that many composers who made it past 11. I don't know maybe Aho? I know Raff made it to 11 and, of course, Havergal Brian and Myaskovsky.

lescamil

I happen to really enjoy Aho's 11th. Maybe Hovhaness? Haydn? It's a weird topic, indeed. A better one would be "worst symphony no. 1," which is what I thought it said first.
Want to chat about classical music on IRC? Go to:

irc.psigenix.net
#concerthall

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,19772.0.html

-------------------------------------

Check out my YouTube page:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jre58591

vandermolen

Quote from: snyprrr on September 19, 2015, 04:08:25 PM
I just struck me that all the No.11s I've heard have had something different and special going for them. Of course, the Thread Title is just to draw you in, but, what are some 11s you like. Right off the top I can think of

Shostakovich
Pettersson
Harris
Myaskovsky

I was thinking someone would chime in that Langaard's was the "worst", but, I haven't heard it. What are some more 11s? Brian...
I like all of these but don't know the Pettersson. Hovhaness's Symphony 11 'All Men are Brothers' is one of my favourites of his cycle of symphonies. Coincidentally I have the Harris in front of me to play. I love the Miaskovsky and Shostakovich.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Dax

Henry Cowell's 11th Symphony Seven rituals of music is pretty good!

Christo

Modern composers op 11 or more symphonies that come to mind are Eduard Tubin, Edmund Rubbra, Robert Simpson, David Diamond, Heitor Villa-Lobos, Alexander Moyzes, Wilfred Josephs, John Fernström, Vagn Holmboe, Darius Milhaud, Cláudio Santoro, Dmitri Shostakovich, Roy Harris, Arthur Meulemans, Henk Badings, Kalevi Aho, Rued Langgaard, Alan Petterson, Mieczyslaw Weinberg, Jānis Ivanovs, Julius Röntgen, Nikolai Myaskovsky, Havergal Brian, Alan Hovhaness, Derek Bourgeois, Leif Segerstam. I think I know less than half of their Elevenths - and why should I want to know the worst of them all?
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Maestro267

Why the misleading thread title?

snyprrr

Quote from: Maestro267 on September 20, 2015, 04:47:58 AM
Why the misleading thread title?

Oy ::),... I thooought it would be fun- you know, like the stuff kids have: fun,... but, no, the GMG Geritol Army will have none of the fun,... sometimes I think it's 'Are You Being Served' around here! :laugh:

Quote from: Christo on September 20, 2015, 03:28:01 AM
Modern composers op 11 or more symphonies that come to mind are Eduard Tubin, Edmund Rubbra, Robert Simpson, David Diamond, Heitor Villa-Lobos, Alexander Moyzes, Wilfred Josephs, John Fernström, Vagn Holmboe, Darius Milhaud, Cláudio Santoro, Dmitri Shostakovich, Roy Harris, Arthur Meulemans, Henk Badings, Kalevi Aho, Rued Langgaard, Alan Petterson, Mieczyslaw Weinberg, Jānis Ivanovs, Julius Röntgen, Nikolai Myaskovsky, Havergal Brian, Alan Hovhaness, Derek Bourgeois, Leif Segerstam. I think I know less than half of their Elevenths - and why should I want to know the worst of them all?

OK,... at least you get credit for effortm,,, HA!, that's quite a list, no? Some esteemed company,... I forgot about Rubbra...

Quote from: snyprrr on September 19, 2015, 04:08:25 PM

Shostakovich
Pettersson
Harris
Myaskovsky

yes, please tell ME WHAT YOU LIIIIIIIIKE

IT'S.ALL.GOOD. >:D (pounds table)

vandermolen

The Shostakovich has a wonderfully doom laden and atmospheric opening movement and a terrific conclusion. The Miaskovsky has a great slow movement. The two melodic middle movements were made into a separate work with a version for brass band and a version for strings.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Christo

Quote from: snyprrr on September 20, 2015, 02:01:27 PMOK,... at least you get credit for effortm,,, HA!, that's quite a list, no? Some esteemed company,... I forgot about Rubbra...

And I forgot Henry Cowell. And no doubt many more, but Cowell was actually mentioned in the post before that I read - but forgot to take into account. Any more suggestions BTW?
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Christo

A serious candidate 'worst Eleventh' may be expected soon to come from Philip Glass - at least that's what I get from Brian's over-underwhelmed review of Glass'ss Tenth, on Musicweb: http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2015/Aug/Glass_sy10_OMM0101.htm  ;D

snyprrr

Quote from: Christo on September 21, 2015, 11:03:29 AM
A serious candidate 'worst Eleventh' may be expected soon to come from Philip Glass - at least that's what I get from Brian's over-underwhelmed review of Glass'ss Tenth, on Musicweb: http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2015/Aug/Glass_sy10_OMM0101.htm  ;D
http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/Smileys/akyhne/sad.gif

I just threw up a little in my mouth :( Glass renders this Thread obsolete. :'(

Maestro267

Quote from: snyprrr on September 20, 2015, 02:01:27 PM
Oy ::),... I thooought it would be fun- you know, like the stuff kids have: fun,... but, no, the GMG Geritol Army will have none of the fun,... sometimes I think it's 'Are You Being Served' around here! :laugh:

How is naming a thread the exact opposite of its intended purpose "fun"?

Anyway, to keep this on topic. Shostakovich's is the only 11th I've heard, so I guess that wins by default. It is definitely my favourite of his 15 symphonies though. The first one I really got into. I love its drama, its orchestration and the fact it plays without pause, so the drama never stops. Also, the ending, with the clash between minor and major and neither's ability to win out, is incredible!

cilgwyn

Quote from: Dax on September 20, 2015, 01:31:25 AM
Henry Cowell's 11th Symphony Seven rituals of music is pretty good!
While this thread is still here!!

I made a cd-r of the Lousville recordings of Henry Cowell symphonies without the 'Hymn and Fuguing Tune No 3' (I kept 'Ongaku'). First time I've enjoyed these symphonies. In fact,I really did enjoy them this time. The atmospheric old mono recordings help. No 11 is the one with those wierd,spooky clumping sounds,if I remember correctly?!! Great with the lights dipped! ??? ;D (Getting rid of that 'Hymn and Fuguing Tune' really helped! The worst piece of music on the cd.)

Did anyone mention Havergal Brian's Eleventh Symphony. I love the serenity of that first movement.The Pope performance,never commercially released,but available for download at the AMF Forum,is the one to hear.

Regarding,Langgaard's Eleventh. I actually do enjoy this one when I'm in the right mood. Crass at first listen;but put it on repeat,and if you listen to it enough it can 'click'! The whole idea of it is so completely demented . Only Langgard could come up with something like that.

snyprrr

Quote from: cilgwyn on September 23, 2015, 05:58:59 AM
While this thread is still here!!

This Thread NEEDS you! I nominate you as Thread Custodian! Otherwise...

Quote from: Maestro267 on September 23, 2015, 01:49:46 AM
How is naming a thread the exact opposite of its intended purpose "fun"?

LOL!

1) Shosty NEEDS Stokowski here- do you have it? Get it noooow!!

2) cilgwyn- please either just school mnd?....e on the Cowell Symphonies here, or meet me in the Cowell Thread? I need to get these straight in my head. Do you have A