Hilding Rosenberg

Started by Dundonnell, August 07, 2007, 03:36:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Happy Birthday Hilding Rosenberg (born 21st June 1892)!

His second and third symphonies with their powerfully redemptive conclusions remain great favourites of mine. A pity that BIS were not able to issue a complete cycle. However, we must be grateful for their release of symphonies number 3 and 6; both fine works.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

San Antone

Very interesting composer.  I have enjoyed his string quartets quite a bit.

vandermolen

Quote from: sanantonio on June 21, 2013, 09:13:42 AM
Very interesting composer.  I have enjoyed his string quartets quite a bit.

Yes, I need to discover those. Do you recommend any one in particular?
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

snyprrr

Quote from: vandermolen on June 22, 2013, 12:51:00 AM

No.4 is the one for non-Rosenbergians. No.5 was dedicated to Sibelius.

No.1: early, dissonant, wildish-Hindemith
No.2:
No.3: fairly 'Pastoral'
Nos.4-6: the mature, representative group
Nos.7-12: all written in 1957!! These are much more biting. I haven't heard Maconchy's, but their reputation for being thorny reminds me of these. 'Harder' than Malipiero,... somewhat Bloch-ish.

vandermolen

Quote from: snyprrr on June 22, 2013, 07:05:03 AM
No.4 is the one for non-Rosenbergians. No.5 was dedicated to Sibelius.

No.1: early, dissonant, wildish-Hindemith
No.2:
No.3: fairly 'Pastoral'
Nos.4-6: the mature, representative group
Nos.7-12: all written in 1957!! These are much more biting. I haven't heard Maconchy's, but their reputation for being thorny reminds me of these. 'Harder' than Malipiero,... somewhat Bloch-ish.
Many thanks for this. Actually I like the Malipiero quartets (there is a set on Brilliant Classics) and Bloch's SQ No. 1 is a work of enormous eloquence and power, so the Rosenberg works look to be of great interest.  I shall look out for No. 4 for starters.

San Antone

Quote from: vandermolen on June 22, 2013, 12:51:00 AM

The Caprice label has recorded the complete set (I think it is complete) with various SQ ensembles and those are the ones I am familiar with.   I haven't listened to them enough to say one is my favorite over the others, but can say that they are in a style which appeals to me a great deal: in that area occupied by Weinberg, Meyer and Hindemith.

I discovered his quartets along with those by Weinberg and Meyer around the same time and all were wonderful discoveries.

vandermolen

Quote from: sanantonio on June 22, 2013, 06:31:55 PM
The Caprice label has recorded the complete set (I think it is complete) with various SQ ensembles and those are the ones I am familiar with.   I haven't listened to them enough to say one is my favorite over the others, but can say that they are in a style which appeals to me a great deal: in that area occupied by Weinberg, Meyer and Hindemith.

I discovered his quartets along with those by Weinberg and Meyer around the same time and all were wonderful discoveries.

Many thanks. Never heard of Meyer but I am an admirer of Weinberg, especially his Piano Quintet.

San Antone

Quote from: vandermolen on June 23, 2013, 12:51:03 AM
Many thanks. Never heard of Meyer but I am an admirer of Weinberg, especially his Piano Quintet.

Here's a link from Amazon.us - Caprice Records is distributed by Naxos, so they should be easy to find ~

[asin]B0002ITAN8[/asin]

It is interesting that the works are not performed by a single string quartet.  There are some that do more than one work, but I'd guess all in all there are 4-5 ensembles represented, maybe more.  I've seen five volumes of the recordings.

Sorry, I am speaking of Krsystof Meyer - he is later, born in 1947 (I think) and his last SQ was written in 2007 (?) or thereabouts.  He has written thirteen so far, and I consider them the best string quartets since Shostakovich.

[asin]B009TBNWBU[/asin]

snyprrr

Quote from: sanantonio on June 22, 2013, 06:31:55 PM

Do listen to No.4 again. That's the most 'normal' one, sounds similar to the last two Hindemith SQs, the two more mature ones (especially the FIRST Eb SQ).

San Antone

I listened to No. 4 last night.  I don't know if I'd call it the "most normal one" and it does not strike me as significantly different in style from the others.  But I still have not spent that much time with these works.  Although, I like what I've heard, a lot, and will continue to revisit them.

vandermolen

Quote from: sanantonio on June 23, 2013, 04:48:29 AM
Here's a link from Amazon.us - Caprice Records is distributed by Naxos, so they should be easy to find ~

[asin]B0002ITAN8[/asin]

It is interesting that the works are not performed by a single string quartet.  There are some that do more than one work, but I'd guess all in all there are 4-5 ensembles represented, maybe more.  I've seen five volumes of the recordings.

Sorry, I am speaking of Krsystof Meyer - he is later, born in 1947 (I think) and his last SQ was written in 2007 (?) or thereabouts.  He has written thirteen so far, and I consider them the best string quartets since Shostakovich.

[asin]B009TBNWBU[/asin]

Thanks so much.

snyprrr

Quote from: sanantonio on June 23, 2013, 06:54:39 AM
I listened to No. 4 last night.  I don't know if I'd call it the "most normal one" and it does not strike me as significantly different in style from the others.  But I still have not spent that much time with these works.  Although, I like what I've heard, a lot, and will continue to revisit them.

Maybe I meant least thorny? Maybe it was No.5? Maybe ME should listen too?, haha!! One of them is a bit smoother melodically, somewhat reminding me of Britten's No.2 in its 'orientalisms'?

pencils

I'm yet to progress to the quartets, although I do have them. I am making my way through the symphonies with utter joy. Really enjoying 5 and 2, in particular.

vandermolen

Quote from: pencils on July 09, 2013, 02:33:40 PM
I'm yet to progress to the quartets, although I do have them. I am making my way through the symphonies with utter joy. Really enjoying 5 and 2, in particular.

2 and 3 are my favourites, for their redemptive endings in particular. I must listen to No 5. No 4 is an epic choral score with some magical moments. The BIS and Phono Suecia discs with symphonies 3 and 6 on are great introductions.

pencils

Rosenberg was recommended to me because i am a big Vagn Holmboe fan (whose first name I still don't know how to pronounce, after all these years), and I was told there are simmilarities, but I have been surprised at the amount of vocal content in them. Don't usually warm to vocal stuff so easily, but these are great.

vandermolen

Quote from: pencils on July 10, 2013, 02:57:05 AM
Rosenberg was recommended to me because i am a big Vagn Holmboe fan (whose first name I still don't know how to pronounce, after all these years), and I was told there are simmilarities, but I have been surprised at the amount of vocal content in them. Don't usually warm to vocal stuff so easily, but these are great.

You may like Tubin too. Do you know his music?

pencils

Eduard Tubin is excellent ! I have only ever met one other person who likes him. I have the BIS set of his symphonies and Kratt  ;D

Mirror Image

Quote from: pencils on July 10, 2013, 09:48:35 AM
Eduard Tubin is excellent ! I have only ever met one other person who likes him. I have the BIS set of his symphonies and Kratt  ;D

Make this another person who likes Tubin! :D Neeme Jarvi's Tubin series is really good but I have yet to hear Arvo Volmer's recordings for the Alba label.

Sean

The Third symphony is derivative in form and content but has a remarkable degree of anger and urgency particularly in the outer movements.

pencils

Enjoyed No.3. In fact, so far I would go 5, 2, 3, 7... Also realised I am missing 9-end of the cycle. I hate incomplete sets... Bah. :(