Ives's Universe Symphony

Started by snyprrr, September 30, 2015, 07:33:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snyprrr

Just heard the Centaur/Austin on YT. I liked it. It's kind of quiet in the opening.

There are three recordings:

1) Centaur/Austin realization

2) ***** /Reinhard realization

3) ColLegno/Austin realization

They all liked the Reinhard, though one said that it's "unrelendingly loud", whereas the Centaur was quite dynamic, and I also heard good things about the ColLegno, which I guess is 'live'.

Tell me, what's the scoop here? I know what you're going to say...

Maestro267

snyprrr

Quote from: Maestro267 on October 04, 2015, 06:17:12 AM
Why the five asterisks?

space for unknown rec. company,.... and here I thought I was going to get sound financial investing tips!!!!! >:D

I can't believe no one wants to clear this up... please... anyone???????????????????????

snyprrr

i ORDERED THE cENTAUR FOR A PENNY\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\whoops

Some say the Reinhard is "almost unrelentingly loud".... the Centaur centainly has a nice 'misterioso' quality to it,.... I'm not sure I want to hear this as unrelentingly loud.... anyone????

snyprrr

Just made it through the Centaur recording. WOW! What a piece!! 38 minutes, half of which is basically a percussion ensemble solo, with flute. Then the orchestra comes in. And, the whole thing does literally sound like a "Universe" Symphony,- the distant stars in the beginning, turning into massive clusters--- it may the most perfect "Modern" piece I've ever heard, so right as to what it's portraying.

whew--

\anyone??????

Mirror Image

Which recording of this work do you suggest I check out, snyprrr?

snyprrr

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 12, 2015, 07:33:27 AM
Which recording of this work do you suggest I check out, snyprrr?

Apparently, the two 'realizations', by Austin and Reinhard, are quite different in effect- check out the Amazon Reviews,... I don't know,... I've only heard the Centaur... maybe on YT??,...

either way, it's a massive work,... sooooo many notes,... boggling,....

TheGSMoeller

I've heard both Reinhard and Austin's realizations. I've also never really spent too much time listening to these, or at least not compared to Ives' completed works. But there are facsinating moments in both versions, especially with the percussion parts. I'm sure my lack of interest is a direct result of my phobia of "unfinished" works being "realized" by other composers. But admiring Ives as I do I did make a point to listen to and read about this insane work.   
But here is an article about both Reinhard and Austin, followed by a link to some detailed info on Ives' scores, scroll down to the bottom and there are even a few examples of the Universe Symphony directly from the score.

http://www.stereosociety.com/ivesVV960604.shtml

http://drs.library.yale.edu/HLTransformer/HLTransServlet?stylename=yul.ead2002.xhtml.xsl&pid=music:mss.0014.1&query=&clear-stylesheet-cache=yes&hlon=yes&big=y&adv=&filter=&hitPageStart=&sortFields=&view=c01_1#s1

snyprrr

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on October 12, 2015, 04:48:00 PM
I've heard both Reinhard and Austin's realizations. I've also never really spent too much time listening to these, or at least not compared to Ives' completed works. But there are facsinating moments in both versions, especially with the percussion parts. I'm sure my lack of interest is a direct result of my phobia of "unfinished" works being "realized" by other composers. But admiring Ives as I do I did make a point to listen to and read about this insane work.   
But here is an article about both Reinhard and Austin, followed by a link to some detailed info on Ives' scores, scroll down to the bottom and there are even a few examples of the Universe Symphony directly from the score.

http://www.stereosociety.com/ivesVV960604.shtml

http://drs.library.yale.edu/HLTransformer/HLTransServlet?stylename=yul.ead2002.xhtml.xsl&pid=music:mss.0014.1&query=&clear-stylesheet-cache=yes&hlon=yes&big=y&adv=&filter=&hitPageStart=&sortFields=&view=c01_1#s1

duuude... sweeet!

ComposerOfAvantGarde

For someone who is new to Ives' Universe Symphony, which version would be recommended as an introduction to it?

Cato

Quote from: ComposerOfAvantGarde on October 14, 2015, 04:36:24 PM
For someone who is new to Ives' Universe Symphony, which version would be recommended as an introduction to it?

Reinhard's completion is seen as the better choice.  Reinhard is also something of an evangelist for quarter-tone/microtonal music.
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Cato on October 14, 2015, 05:06:14 PM
Reinhard's completion is seen as the better choice.  Reinhard is also something of an evangelist for quarter-tone/microtonal music.

And I believe Reinhard was even given approval from the Ives Society for his realization.

Not that it seals the deal, but it's something  ;D

Ken B

This would be the single Ives piece with the least fraction of actual Ives in it, right? Must give it a listen.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Ken B on October 14, 2015, 06:29:21 PM
This would be the single Ives piece with the least fraction of actual Ives in it, right? Must give it a listen.

You have a point, Ken;D But be warned, you might find some fragments or sketches during these works that were composed by Ives.