Jewish Composers

Started by San Antone, October 01, 2015, 05:55:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kishnevi

Quote from: amw on October 03, 2015, 02:45:07 PM
Basically that your distant ancestors are likely to have come from the Levant, and you share common genetic features with other Jews. I have no idea why people felt it necessary to do several hundred genetic studies in order to determine whether Jews are ethnically distinct from other groups (basic summary of the results: they are, kinda, though there's been admixture), I mean they probably could have spent some of that time on curing cancer or w/e, but you know.
Political reasons, to refute the people who say we are descended from the Khazars and not the biblical Israelites.
Also, to go looking for "lost tribes" in odd places.  There is an African tribe in Uganda (I think) which has a large number of men who carry a genetic marker found in the Jewish priestly case, the Kohenim...meaning they are apparently direct descendants though the male line of Aaron the first High Priest.

Thread duty
Ignaz Brull
Saloman Jadassohn
Salomone Rossi

First two19th century Germany
Rossi c. 1600 Italy

San Antone

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on October 03, 2015, 06:14:20 PM
Ignaz Brull
Saloman Jadassohn
Salomone Rossi

First two19th century Germany
Rossi c. 1600 Italy

Excellent.  I was trying to remember the 16th century composer, Rossi.  Thanks for posting his name.   Other early Jewish music is from the Sephardic culture.  Jordi Savall has released this recording:

[asin]B00004RBWV[/asin]

kishnevi

I actually started a thread for Rossi
http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,19634.0.html

Searching for the thread brought up another name for this thread....Lukas Foss.

San Antone

I can't believe that Morton Feldman has not been mentioned yet.  Although he was not observant, his Jewishness figured large in his thinking and inspiration.

Some others:
Stefan Wolpe
Kurt Weill
Karl Weigl

kishnevi

Mandryka mentioned Feldman early on, in reply #4.
But no one seems to have mentioned two very obvious ones:  Copland and Bernstein.

And for a whole subcategory, at least two of them mentioned already in this thread
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israeli_composers

Mirror Image

Quote from: sanantonio on October 03, 2015, 07:17:34 PM
I can't believe that Morton Feldman has not been mentioned yet.  Although he was not observant, his Jewishness figured large in his thinking and inspiration.

Some others:
Stefan Wolpe
Kurt Weill
Karl Weigl

But wouldn't these composers qualify as Jewish American composers? I know Feldman definitely does.

Ken B

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 03, 2015, 07:30:35 PM
But wouldn't these composers qualify as Jewish American composers? I know Feldman definitely does.

Not unless his great great great great great grandmother was American.  He's what she was apparently.  ::)

listener

Charles-Valentin ALKAN - did a few song settings in Hebrew but I think the favourite work generally is Le Festin d'Esope, a delightful set of variations for piano.
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Scion7

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on October 03, 2015, 06:14:20 PM
Political reasons, to refute the people who say we are descended from the Khazars

Khazars are Turkic people.  Just because one of the many rulers of the Khazar nation (and therefore, those tribes under his authority) adopted Judaism (the religion) centuries ago didn't make them Jews.  And that was pretty much eradicated a long time ago by the adoption of most of them of Islam.

ANYWAY, to get back to the tunes . . .

Alban Berg
Anton Rubenstein
Aaron Copland
Salomon Jadassohn
Karl Ignaz Weigl

. . . and the list goes on!
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

The new erato

George Gershwin
Irving Berlin
Jerome Kern (Showboat being one of the greatest glories of US music)
Kurt Weill
Carol King (born Klein)

Wieland

Quote from: vandermolen on October 02, 2015, 06:17:41 AM
Me too with Bloch.  :) that early Symphony in C sharp minor has a wonderfully redemptive or doom-laden ending, depending on how you want to look at it. I think that the BIS CD is best but the Naxos and Marco Polo (not the same versions) are excellent too. Schulhoff's 5th Symphony is a terrific score and terribly poignant in view of the circumstances of its creation. If you like Bloch you'll probably enjoy the two Ben-Haim symphonies.

I recently enjoyed two of Ben-Haim's chamber music works, his early string quintet and the later string quartet No. 1.
I have an old CD with his second symphony Kenneth Alwyn conducting that I however haven't heard in many years. The new cpo recording of symphony 1 is on the list.

[asin]B00HFEBXEG[/asin] [asin]B0002G8QFI[/asin]

vandermolen

Quote from: Wieland on October 04, 2015, 03:21:00 AM
I recently enjoyed two of Ben-Haim's chamber music works, his early string quintet and the later string quartet No. 1.
I have an old CD with his second symphony Kenneth Alwyn conducting that I however haven't heard in many years. The new cpo recording of symphony 1 is on the list.

[asin]B00HFEBXEG[/asin] [asin]B0002G8QFI[/asin]
I have the Chandos CD of Ben Haim's chamber music which I like very much, especially 'Two Landscapes'. The CD you posted looks worth exploring. I like both of his symphonies and also have the Kenneth Alwyn recording and a later Botstein download, including dramatic coughing episode. I also like Steinberg's Second Symphony, an interesting and surprising DGG release. He was the teacher of Shostakovich and the 2nd Symphony has a great redemptive ending. I wish there were recordings of his later symphonies. He married the daughter of Rimsky Korsakov.
[asin]B00005LASB[/asin]
[asin]B00CLFYWF6[/asin]
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Wieland

Quote from: vandermolen on October 04, 2015, 03:41:29 AM
I have the Chandos CD of Ben Haim's chamber music which I like very much, especially 'Two Landscapes'. The CD you posted looks worth exploring. I like both of his symphonies and also have the Kenneth Alwyn recording and a later Botstein download, including dramatic coughing episode. I also like Steinberg's Second Symphony, an interesting and surprising DGG release. He was the teacher of Shostakovich and the 2nd Symphony has a great redemptive ending. I wish there were recordings of his later symphonies. He married the daughter of Rimsky Korsakov.
[asin]B00005LASB[/asin]
[asin]B00CLFYWF6[/asin]
Maximilian Steinberg is new to me. However, I just listened to his symphony 4 "Turksib" on youtube which I liked a lot. I have to further explore this composer. Thanks for the suggestion.

San Antone

Quote from: Scion7 on October 04, 2015, 12:27:33 AM
Alban Berg
Anton Rubenstein
Aaron Copland
Salomon Jadassohn
Karl Ignaz Weigl

. . . and the list goes on!

Although Alban Berg was not Jewish, he was persecuted by the Nazis since his music was classified as "degenerate art".

Scion7

Ah, right you are.  My memory failed me.   :(
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

vandermolen

Quote from: Wieland on October 04, 2015, 07:26:56 AM
Maximilian Steinberg is new to me. However, I just listened to his symphony 4 "Turksib" on youtube which I liked a lot. I have to further explore this composer. Thanks for the suggestion.
And thanks for letting me know that his Symphony 4 is on YouTube.  :)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Another CD I enjoy very much:
[asin]B0000C16SJ[/asin]
If you click on the link there are some Amazon reviews.

San Antone

Quote from: vandermolen on October 04, 2015, 11:32:51 AM
Another CD I enjoy very much:
[asin]B0000C16SJ[/asin]
If you click on the link there are some Amazon reviews.

Agreed.  I have the entire collection of the Wellesz symphonies and would wish to also have all of the string quartets.  The Artis Quartett Wien has recorded 3, 4 and 6

[asin]B0018J903U[/asin]

But not the rest. 

vandermolen

Quote from: sanantonio on October 04, 2015, 12:07:01 PM
Agreed.  I have the entire collection of the Wellesz symphonies and would wish to also have all of the string quartets.  The Artis Quartett Wien has recorded 3, 4 and 6

[asin]B0018J903U[/asin]

But not the rest.
How interesting. Which are the best symphonies? I like No.2 'The English' although it does not sound very English at all! It was, I think, a touching tribute to his adopted homeland - a sanctuary away from Nazi persecution. But it is in a more approachable idiom I gather than the later symphonies.

San Antone

Quote from: vandermolen on October 04, 2015, 12:18:36 PM
How interesting. Which are the best symphonies? I like No.2 'The English' although it does not sound very English at all! It was, I think, a touching tribute to his adopted homeland - a sanctuary away from Nazi persecution. But it is in a more approachable idiom I gather than the later symphonies.

It is fairly well accepted that his symphonies can be divided into two groups: 1-4 and 5-9 with the second half of his output exhibiting a different style.  If you like the 2nd, then I would suggest that 3 and 4 would also be enjoyable for you.  However, his later works might be somewhat less to your taste.  I happen to prefer the later works, but enjoy them all.

The disc with 4, 6 and 7 might be a good place for you to try next since it bridges the two stylistic periods.

[asin]B00007J4VB[/asin]