Author Topic: Six symphonies where the final movement is the best.  (Read 13040 times)

Offline Symphonic Addict

• Veteran member
Re: Six symphonies where the final movement is the best.
« Reply #80 on: July 18, 2021, 03:37:10 PM »
Let's see...

Raid 1
Braga Santos 4
Hindemith Mathis der Maler
Atterberg 3
Glière 3
Brahms 4
Give us something else; give us something new; for Heaven's sake give us something bad, so long as we feel we are alive and active and not just passive admirers of tradition!

Carl Nielsen

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
Re: Six symphonies where the final movement is the best.
« Reply #81 on: July 19, 2021, 12:14:22 PM »
One thing I am struggling with from your list is RVW Sea Symphony.  Not because the final movement isn't wonderful but part of what makes it so wonderful is it's the powerful and transcendent culmination of what preceded it. It's such a natural and mature transition from the other works that I see it as the culmination of the other movements, something very rare.  Not that it isn't the best but it's even greater when heard in its contextual totality.
I see what you mean - it's just that I think that the finale contains the best music and I wouldn't want to hear it out of context. Very much agree with Cesar about Gliere's Third Symphony.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).