What are your thoughts on social media?

Started by Philo, October 10, 2015, 10:28:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Super Blood Moon on January 06, 2016, 04:36:37 AM
This MN Dave sounds like quite an interesting chap.

Gurn, you only have to read the first 140!

Sure, and that brings me up to mid-January. What did he do the rest of the year?  :D

I know, they are going to hide it. My worry is that it won't be very long before everyone is using 9,999 characters and still posting a picture of the text of the rest of what they wanted to say.

Actually, I favor an increase, just not that big of one. 1000 is more than enough!

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Karl Henning

Tweeps with logorrhea? Oh, the horror . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Super Blood Moon

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 06, 2016, 04:58:10 AM
Sure, and that brings me up to mid-January. What did he do the rest of the year?  :D

I know, they are going to hide it. My worry is that it won't be very long before everyone is using 9,999 characters and still posting a picture of the text of the rest of what they wanted to say.

Actually, I favor an increase, just not that big of one. 1000 is more than enough!

8)

Well, this is why we have lists on Twitter.

Super Blood Moon

I see long posts on Facebook and I skip right over them. :D

Karl Henning

I read some.

But only the ones worth reading.  Like about Haydn.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Super Blood Moon

Now all these wannabe writers can put their short stories on Twitter!

:(

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: karlhenning on January 06, 2016, 05:32:15 AM
I read some.

But only the ones worth reading.  Like about Haydn.

Well, it isn't a subject which is worn out, like the screeds on Jeremy Corbyn... ::)  :D

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Brian

Quote from: Todd on January 05, 2016, 07:44:25 PM
Looks like Twitter is in for some minor changes . . .

What?! Ugh. NO. I'm with Gurn on this one - the brevity is what makes it fun to write and not-shitty to read. I don't want to read everyone's 10,000 character essays about what they had for lunch.

The problem is, what's good for corporate bottom lines is rarely, if ever, what customers actually want. We just want to enjoy Twitter. But they want to expand its reach and make a ton of money, and the way we all enjoy Twitter isn't profitable at all.

Todd

Quote from: Brian on January 06, 2016, 06:03:08 AMThe problem is, what's good for corporate bottom lines is rarely, if ever, what customers actually want.

Indeed.  McDonald's all day breakfast is the exception, not the rule.

Now is the time for an enterprising tech firm to try to step into the space and try to, well, eat Twitter's lunch.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Parsifal

Quote from: Brian on January 06, 2016, 06:03:08 AM
What?! Ugh. NO. I'm with Gurn on this one - the brevity is what makes it fun to write and not-shitty to read. I don't want to read everyone's 10,000 character essays about what they had for lunch.

The problem is, what's good for corporate bottom lines is rarely, if ever, what customers actually want. We just want to enjoy Twitter. But they want to expand its reach and make a ton of money, and the way we all enjoy Twitter isn't profitable at all.

As I understand it, the size of a tweet itself does not change. The capability of a tweet to have a sort of attachment will be added.

I never really got involved in twitter, but I was put off when tweets began to be composed of a string of hashtags.  The one time I recently looked at twitter was when Donald Trump's tweets got publicity for being offensive. I was disappointed to find that to find an offensive tweet you had to wade through dozens of Donald Trump tweets that were just boring.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Scarpia on January 06, 2016, 07:30:21 AM
As I understand it, the size of a tweet itself does not change. The capability of a tweet to have a sort of attachment will be added.

I never really got involved in twitter, but I was put off when tweets began to be composed of a string of hashtags.  The one time I recently looked at twitter was when Donald Trump's tweets got publicity for being offensive. I was disappointed to find that to find an offensive tweet you had to wade through dozens of Donald Trump tweets that were just boring.

Not exactly that, Scarpia, it is more like someone can write 10,000 characters, but when you look at your timeline you will only see the first 140 characters so the tweet will look as it does now unless you click on it to expand it to full size. If you think 140 leaves too much room for hashtags, wait till you see what 10,000 will do!  ::)

8)

Super Blood Moon

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 06, 2016, 08:12:18 AM
If you think 140 leaves too much room for hashtags, wait till you see what 10,000 will do!  ::)

Ugh.

Karl Henning

Gurn drew an Ugh from MN Dave!  He wins the Internets!   8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

knight66

I go on and off Twitter. I like the existing limitation and can see that if expanded, fire wars will become even more obnoxious. I also don't have time to read pretty much anyone's 10k stream of consciousness. I may be ducking out again if things go the way I expect them to.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Pohjolas Daughter

A question for you folks regarding Instagram:  do you have to create an account on Instagram in order to watch someone's live video?  Coming up in a little over 30 minutes, Andy Murray and Novak Djokovic are due to have a live video answering tennis fans' questions and I would like to watch it.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter