Started by ComposerOfAvantGarde, October 14, 2015, 01:37:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Monsieur Croche

Quote from: ComposerOfAvantGarde on January 28, 2016, 09:45:03 PM
I'm about three quarters of the way through the piece now.....and I just called the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra to find out that this composition I'm writing is purely an audition piece from which they will select young composers to commission for concerts next year.

It is utterly fantastic that your local symphony even has such a program and avenue for young composers.

Do your best, as most of us are certain you already do, and here is to the best of luck once it is in the hands of 'the Gods' who determine whose comps merit those commissions  :)
~ I'm all for personal expression; it just has to express something to me. ~

ComposerOfAvantGarde

New update of my ensemble composition on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/composerofavantgarde/work-in-progress-february-2016

I'll put up a pdf soon.

I still think there's some work to be done on the problem section in the opening slow introduction........

Also, I've had a couple of rehearsals of The Sand Timer for a performance on Tuesday. The new lineup of musicians are fantastic and I'm looking forward to the concert on Tuesday. I'll see if I can record a run through...... :)

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

ComposerOfAvantGarde

I changed my entire Soundcloud account because reasons. Little icon under my avatar should lead you to my stuff. I have uploaded my very very first experiment in electronic music (complete n00b here) so it isn't anything I of which I am especially proud. The only thing is that it is my very first foray in musique concrète and I hope to do more down the track. The other thing on there is the very brief third movement of a sinfonia concertante I once composed. Very simple composition, but it the largest scale work I have ever had a performance of so far. :)

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: jessop on July 17, 2016, 06:40:37 PM
I changed my entire Soundcloud account because reasons. Little icon under my avatar should lead you to my stuff. I have uploaded my very very first experiment in electronic music (complete n00b here) so it isn't anything I of which I am especially proud. The only thing is that it is my very first foray in musique concrète and I hope to do more down the track. The other thing on there is the very brief third movement of a sinfonia concertante I once composed. Very simple composition, but it the largest scale work I have ever had a performance of so far. :)

Actually I think the electronic piece the more accomplished of the two, primarily because the rhythms and textures are handled much more subtly. In the Sinfonia excerpt, the Spanish influence with the guitar music sounds overly symmetrical, with all the downbeats falling predictably in unvaried triple meter. (At one point it sounds like you're directly quoting Rodrigo's Concierto de Aranjuez, and the pattern in the first couple of measures is also familiar.)

What else do you have?
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: (poco) Sforzando on July 17, 2016, 07:17:37 PM
Actually I think the electronic piece the more accomplished of the two, primarily because the rhythms and textures are handled much more subtly. In the Sinfonia excerpt, the Spanish influence with the guitar music sounds overly symmetrical, with all the downbeats falling predictably in unvaried triple meter. (At one point it sounds like you're directly quoting Rodrigo's Concierto de Aranjuez, and the pattern in the first couple of measures is also familiar.)

What else do you have?
Yep the orchestral one is basically a musical satire of the Spanish repertoire!

I am trying to get a recording made of a recent composition using techniques of indeterminacy, but I also plan to upload a piece from quite a while ago which was recorded and released by my colleagues who perform as a guitar duo.

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: jessop on July 17, 2016, 07:22:09 PM
Yep the orchestral one is basically a musical satire of the Spanish repertoire!

The problem is then, how is the listener to determine whether something is "satire" or just a derivative composition?
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: (poco) Sforzando on July 17, 2016, 07:24:43 PM
The problem is then, how is the listener to determine whether something is "satire" or just a derivative composition?
By the surrounding movements....which then makes this a problematic movement when heard on its own....  ::)

So I wrote a bit more in the description of the track, hoping not to sound like a justification in defence of the music! :laugh:

Monsieur Croche

Quote from: (poco) Sforzando on July 17, 2016, 07:24:43 PM

When you get the reference(s) and / or simply find it funny/sardonic, etc.

A reaction like that may be due to the fact the music is -- inadvertently -- funny, but that is pretty much 'on the composer,' since listener reaction is a reaction.

(Re: 'references.' There is an inherent danger in relying on references and direct quotes; it anticipates your audience readily knowing those references.)
~ I'm all for personal expression; it just has to express something to me. ~

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: Monsieur Croche on August 10, 2016, 04:29:02 PM
When you get the reference(s) and / or simply find it funny/sardonic, etc.

A reaction like that may be due to the fact the music is -- inadvertently -- funny, but that is pretty much 'on the composer,' since listener reaction is a reaction.

(Re: 'references.' There is an inherent danger in relying on references and direct quotes; it anticipates your audience readily knowing those references.)
Yes and I couldn't agree with you more here. Perhaps this is the danger of having a mindset of being a composer for musicians (my guitar pals in this case) rather than composing 'to an audience.' Most people on first hearing Mozart's Musical Joke today on modern instruments won't understand 'the references' than if they lived in Mozart's day knowing the musical climate and at least a few things about compositional style and technique.

But then again, as you can see from thatfabulousalien's reaction, there will still be people who like it. :)

ComposerOfAvantGarde

I just put up an old piece of mine on soundcloud

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Upcoming works:

Makedonska Rapsodija for guitar quartet to be premiered 2017 by the Melbourne Guitar Quartet (recently finished)

Dreams Within Dreams (electroacoustic)

New work (working title 'Space Between') for flute, harp and percussion

Possible new work TBC for guitar duo to be premiered late 2017

I'll upload Dreams Within Dreams to my soundcloud hopefully in the next few days. I will also try to get a recording up of Makedonska Rapsodija around the time of its premiere.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Ok here is Dreams Within Dreams.
Comments and feedback are more than welcome!

Karl Henning

Quote from: jessop on October 22, 2016, 07:53:16 PM
New work (working title 'Space Between') for flute, harp and percussion

What percussion?  :)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 23, 2016, 03:09:42 AM
What percussion?  :)
Not yet finalised: marimba, bongos, small tuned gongs

ComposerOfAvantGarde

I decided to upload something I recorded in high school, not one of my own compositions, but something I played on guitar

https://soundcloud.com/jessop-maticevski-shumack/shard-by-elliott-carter

EddieRUKiddingVarese

"Everyone is born with genius, but most people only keep it a few minutes"
and I need the knits, the double knits!

bhodges

Quote from: jessop on October 26, 2016, 07:44:12 PM
I decided to upload something I recorded in high school, not one of my own compositions, but something I played on guitar

https://soundcloud.com/jessop-maticevski-shumack/shard-by-elliott-carter

Just listened to this, and it's quite good. (Have heard it a number of times by guitarists in NYC.) It also is a little inspiring to think that high school students (or at least one) are playing Elliott Carter -- gives me hope for humanity.  8)

--Bruce