Early English Instrumental Music

Started by Mandryka, October 27, 2015, 01:42:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

This one has a really lovely thing, a pavan and galliard written for lute by Thomas Morley and arranged for harpsichord by Fedinando Richardson.

(The record is a good one for adjusting the subwoofer volume!)
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

Ferrabosco's solo viol music is really serious contrapuntal stuff, the same sort of seriousness as Vincenzo Galilei's lute music. The performances by Biordi are unsmiling and inexpressive, objective. A very different approach is here

Mandryka

Quote from: Mandryka on October 12, 2021, 11:20:27 PM

Lanvellec, haven't worked out if it's actually for sale yet!

10 breathless in nomines, organ recorded and played in a way which makes it sound like a portative. Bugger!

I'm drying my tears and comforting myself by listening to this

Que

Quote from: Mandryka on October 31, 2021, 12:21:00 AM
10 breathless in nomines, organ recorded and played in a way which makes it sound like a portative. Bugger!

No worries. This is the Bull organ disc you (and ayone else) needs:

Played on an organ in an English church that survived in Normandy. How cool is that!  :D

bioluminescentsquid

Quote from: Mandryka on October 31, 2021, 12:21:00 AM

I'm drying my tears and comforting myself by listening to this

It's out already? I guess for the physical CDs but waiting for it to reach streaming (if it ever will).

That's a shame, the audio samples sounded amazing.

Thilo Muster, I have mixed feelings with. Sometimes feels too straightforward, just like Bates Arauxo. I like Etienne Baillot more consistently.

Mandryka

Quote from: bioluminescentsquid on October 31, 2021, 07:58:46 PM
It's out already? I guess for the physical CDs but waiting for it to reach streaming (if it ever will).

That's a shame, the audio samples sounded amazing.

Yes well I played it again this morning and it sounded much much better, amazing in fact, and it certainly is good to have the in nomines collected together as a cycle. So delete what I said yesterday and buy it. Sorry, but yesterday nothing sounded good. Am I the only person who that happens to? 

By the way, the service from Amazon.fr was exemplary. Delivered within five days from France to the UK, which was two days later than anticipated because it took longer than expected to get through customs. And then this morning I found this email

QuoteBonjour,

Nous avons constaté que votre colis Amazon a été livré en retard. En conséquence, nous avons effectué un remboursement du montant des frais de livraison, soit 3.07 euros, sur le mode de paiement utilisé lors du passage de votre commande.

Mandryka

bioluminescentsquid

Quote from: Mandryka on November 01, 2021, 01:24:38 AM
Have you heard my favourite ?

Yes! Loved the Walsingham variations especially.
Another very successful Walsingham on organ, I might actually like this even more than Rampe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhWbQOHSI48&list=OLAK5uy_nNNNj9lIknQVYzspHWZSLBs_6ODIbOuC4&index=10

Mandryka

Quote from: bioluminescentsquid on November 01, 2021, 01:39:44 AM
Another very successful Walsingham on organ, I might actually like this even more than Rampe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhWbQOHSI48&list=OLAK5uy_nNNNj9lIknQVYzspHWZSLBs_6ODIbOuC4&index=10

Listening now to the Rampe's Christe Redemptor. There used to be a Walsingham Variations by Berben on YouTube using a harpsichord which I thought was outstanding. I'll check that link later, I'm using an iPad right now and it means that YouTube is too full of ads for comfort.

Mandryka

Enjoying this this afternoon. The selection is very reminiscent of the earlier recordings that Colin Tilney made, things like Go from my window, in that the emphasis is on music which is melodious, rather than music which is intricately contrapuntal. Colin Booth's harpsichord playing is noble, nuanced and expressive, and what he does with the music always sounds natural, organic. Well recorded and nice instruments - a good Byrd harpsichord CD for someone who wants just one in their collection, as it were, or for someone who wants to get an earful of what the music is like. 

Mandryka

Quote from: bioluminescentsquid on November 01, 2021, 01:39:44 AM

In fact Berben does a rather amazing Wallsingham on the Lanvellec CD

milk

I'm sure this is not on anyone's radar.

Mandryka

Quote from: Mandryka on June 11, 2016, 11:04:18 PM

Martin Souter plays English music at Knole.

Martin Souter does not seek to thrill or impress or entertain. He uses very little rubato, his basic tempos are often slow and there is little variation in tempo, the registrations are sober. The voicing is transparent and quite lively.  He creates  tension and release despite the complete absence of exuberance, the music is not dead. I'm not sure how he does this - I think it has to do with the way the textures change, the voices accumulate. His style is studied. As a listening experience it is both sweet and stimulating: the adrenaline never flows but he woos you.

Farnaby is treated in the same way as Byrd, who is treated in the same way as Bull. I particularly enjoyed the Byrd G minor Fantasia.

A very similar thing to be said about this. I came across it while exploring recordings of Byrd's Qui Passe, Souter's is unusual because of the elapsed time. The whole CD is interesting and serious, Souter is interesting and serious.

Mandryka

Quote from: Mandryka on August 20, 2022, 11:43:45 PM

Giulia Nuti recorded a CD of French music which I thought was very successful indeed.

16th century Italian virginal, well engineered sound. Attractive selection of English material, played poetically and with modesty. Nuti can play with fiery energy,  and she can play sensually and lyrically.  Once you start to listen, you can't stop. What's not to like? Well, I would say that she plays it with the brio of Italian baroque music, no doubt partly influenced by the instrument. There's nothing mellow here. I think that's not a problem, on the contrary - see what you think.

She says that there was no significant school of English virginal construction. However I note that there are  excellent English instruments in the Ashmolean (the Leversedge virginals) - they sound very different, mellower. 

Booklet here

https://www.highresaudio.com/en/album/view/hrkqd7/giulia-nuti-the-fall-of-the-leaf

Mandryka

For me the great interest of this CD is having all 12 of the In Nomines collected together, so that you can hear them as a cycle. What rich and complex counterpoint! What a distinctive voice Bull has! It goes without saying that the Lanvellec organ is lovely to hear - well recorded.