Kubelik's Mahler cycle on DG, Should I replace with recent remaster?

Started by TonyM, March 19, 2023, 01:24:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TonyM

Hi.
My first post here, though I've been stalking for some time.

Forgive me if this has been answered (I've searched but not found anything conclusive -- so please link a discussion if necessary): do i replace my original '90s big box DG cycle with the more recent 2018 remaster. I have a nice Naim system so do appreciate clarity and detail in my recordings.

Amy input valued.
Thanks.

Spotted Horses

I have the "collectors edition" (4637382) and noticed that a hi-rez download of the Kubelik/Mahler was available on Presto Classical web site. Out of curiosity I downloaded the 9th symphony in the new hi-rez master and compared with the CD (actually my rip to a flac file). I heard no difference. Speaking only for myself, I saw no need to update to the new masters.

This is the one I have:

I'm not certain about the Mahler, but typically the bargain collectors editions are based on previous releases without remastering.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

TonyM

Quote from: Spotted Horses on March 19, 2023, 10:12:41 PMI have the "collectors edition" (4637382) and noticed that a hi-rez download of the Kubelik/Mahler was available on Presto Classical web site. Out of curiosity I downloaded the 9th symphony in the new hi-rez master and compared with the CD (actually my rip to a flac file). I heard no difference. Speaking only for myself, I saw no need to update to the new masters.

This is the one I have:

Many thanks indeed for your response.
I pulled the trigger anyway... SQ aside the replicated slipcases are a nice touch. I'll begin listening and comparing this evening.

Spotted Horses

Quote from: TonyM on March 21, 2023, 09:38:30 AMMany thanks indeed for your response.
I pulled the trigger anyway... SQ aside the replicated slipcases are a nice touch. I'll begin listening and comparing this evening.

Getting rid of colossal obsolete packaging has its advantage. It turns out that I eventually got the Kubelik complete DG edition, so I presumably have new masters in there anyway, although I have not gotten to the Mahler.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Brian

Welcome to the board, Tony, and I guess now you can report back and answer your own question!

By the way, I remember visiting York a decade ago and they had a cafe and lunch spot in the old town entirely themed around classical music, with sheet music for wallpaper.

DavidW

Tony, be on the watch out for the Audite Das Lied (i.e. outside of your box).  It has Janet Baker and it is a magnificent performance.

Jo498

I was about to mention this live LvdE. It has no parallel in the DG box as Kubelik didn't record it for them. And the combination of Kubelik with Kmentt and Baker is one of the strongest on records.

There are also some listeners who prefer (at least some of) the Audite live recordings (recorded around the same time as the DG studio, usually a bit later, I think) to the DG studio but I could never be bothered to get any of them beyond Das Lied.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

TonyM

Quote from: Brian on March 21, 2023, 09:51:31 AMWelcome to the board, Tony, and I guess now you can report back and answer your own question!

By the way, I remember visiting York a decade ago and they had a cafe and lunch spot in the old town entirely themed around classical music, with sheet music for wallpaper.

Thank you Brian!

Ah man, Cafe Concerto, on High Petergate... One of my favourite places over the last 25 years but a victim of lockdowns I believe and sadly closed recently. The old show tunes on the walls were just as interesting as the stuff discussed here. Lovely staff too.

Come back when possible!

TonyM

Quote from: DavidW on March 21, 2023, 11:15:53 AMTony, be on the watch out for the Audite Das Lied ...

Thanks David! A few of the Audite recordings do seem to find favour with renowned Mahlerites (just working my way through the late Tony Duggan's comprehensive, and very readable, synopses of recordings.