Mahler Cycle Berlin

Started by Sergeant Rock, April 13, 2007, 05:03:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bunny

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 17, 2007, 02:08:28 PM
Thanks for pointing this out, Bunny.

Sarge

I've had such great experiences hearing Barenboim conduct Mahler that this purchase is a no-brainer for me. ;D

MishaK

Quote from: Bunny on April 17, 2007, 06:19:08 PM
I've had such great experiences hearing Barenboim conduct Mahler that this purchase is a no-brainer for me. ;D

Prompted by your post, I just listened to Barenboim's M9 again. What a wonderful way to end the day. I keep marveling at how much character the Sk Berlin's woodwinds have. This recording is a real gem.

MishaK

Sarge,

You'll be delighted to know that I just discovered that recordings of the broadcasts of the Boulez Mahler 8 and Barenboim/Quasthoff Rückert Lieder and Mahler 7 that you heard live have been uploaded on operashare.

Bunny

Quote from: O Mensch on April 17, 2007, 07:57:49 PM
Prompted by your post, I just listened to Barenboim's M9 again. What a wonderful way to end the day. I keep marveling at how much character the Sk Berlin's woodwinds have. This recording is a real gem.

I keep hearing such wonderful things about this, that I am just consumed with antipation waiting for the cd to arrive.  I didn't order through Caiman or Amazon, so I really don't understand quite what's keeping it. >:(

I've been told that Barenboim didn't split the violins for this, but apparently it hasn't interfered with the way people are enjoying it.

from the new world

Quote from: O Mensch on April 17, 2007, 07:57:49 PM

Indeed, the SK Berlin has a very distinct sound under Barenboim and the sonority of the strings during the last movement is quite special. Though I do wonder if there wasn't an error made at the end of the first movement. One note sticks out like a sore thumb.

bhodges

Here's a nice piece on the Mahler Eighth performance by Anne Ozorio on MusicWeb.

Boulez conducts Mahler: Symphony No. 8

--Bruce

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: O Mensch on April 20, 2007, 06:40:04 AM
Sarge,

You'll be delighted to know that I just discovered that recordings of the broadcasts of the Boulez Mahler 8 and Barenboim/Quasthoff Rückert Lieder and Mahler 7 that you heard live have been uploaded on operashare.

Thanks, O.

Edit: Joined the group, found the 8th....downloading now.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: bhodges on April 20, 2007, 10:08:18 AM
Here's a nice piece on the Mahler Eighth performance by Anne Ozorio on MusicWeb.

Boulez conducts Mahler: Symphony No. 8

--Bruce

Great find, Bruce. I searched for reviews last week but couldn't find any. I'm looking forward to reading this.

Sarge

not edward

Bringing this back to report that the Mahler 8 you attended was indeed preparation for a studio recording. From the DG website:

Artists:
Sopranos: Twyla Robinson · Erin Wall · Adriane Queiroz
Altos: Michelle DeYoung · Simone Schröder
Tenor: Johan Botha
Baritone: Hanno Müller-Brachmann
Bass: Robert Holl
Choirs: Chor der Staatsoper Berlin · Rundfunkchor Berlin · Aurelius Sängerknaben Calw
Chorus masters: Eberhard Friedrich · Johannes Sorg
Orchestra: Staatskapelle Berlin
Conductor: Pierre Boulez

Repertoire:
Gustav Mahler (1860-1911): Symphonie Nr. 8 in zwei Sätzen für großes Orchester, acht Solisten, zwei gemischte Chöre und Knabenchor

Recording Information:
Recording: Berlin (Jesus-Christus-Kirche), 04/2007
Executive Producers: Valérie Gross & Ute Fesquet
Project Coordinator: Matthias Spindler
Producer: Christian Gansch
Recording Engineers (Tonmeister): Ulrich Vette & Hans-Ulrich Bastin
Assistant Engineer: Wolf-Dieter Karwatky
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: edward on April 28, 2007, 07:21:54 AM
Bringing this back to report that the Mahler 8 you attended was indeed preparation for a studio recording. From the DG website:

Thanks for bringing this to my attention, Edward.

Sarge