Ysaye sonatas

Started by XB-70 Valkyrie, November 02, 2015, 09:36:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XB-70 Valkyrie

Some interesting recordings available, including Oscar Shumsky. Any recommendations?

I have Ricardo Odnoposoff playing two of these on LP--wish I could find him playing the others (if he ever recorded them). It would also be interesting to find a compliation/set played by the various violinists to whom they were dedicated (Szigeti, Kreisler, etc.)
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

North Star

I like Zehetmair a lot in these. Several recent ones ought to be interesting: Ibragimova, Weithaas [only the first CD of a series combining them with the Bach S&P] (2015), Yang, Papavrami, Kantorow (2014)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

kishnevi

Quote from: North Star on November 02, 2015, 09:51:46 PM
I like Zehetmair a lot in these. Several recent ones ought to be interesting: Ibragimova, Weithaas [only the first CD of a series combining them with the Bach S&P] (2015), Yang, Papavrami, Kantorow (2014)

I got Zehetmair early on, and recently added Ibragimova, Yang, Papavrami, and Karl Stobbe.    The last four seemed about equal, but I prefer Zehetmair, purely subjectively there.    I would suggest sound samples to help you decide.  Are any on Spotify?

kishnevi

Probing Amazon further, I see a bunch of violinists have recorded the sonatas including Kremer and Kavakos.  Also several I never heard of, including at least three ladies from Japan.

kishnevi

Just ordered a used copy of this

Assuming it is the same recording on the Olympia CD also listed by Amazon, it was recorded in 1976.

North Star

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on November 03, 2015, 06:18:50 PM
Probing Amazon further, I see a bunch of violinists have recorded the sonatas including Kremer and Kavakos.  Also several I never heard of, including at least three ladies from Japan.
I recall really liking what I've heard from the Kavakos recording on the radio a couple of years ago, I should investigate further.

https://www.youtube.com/v/eBvqjkaZsgs

My photographs on Flickr

San Antone

I think very highly of this recording.

Jo498

Has anyone heard Benjamin Schmid (Oehms)? That's one of the cheapest, so I am tempted...
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

North Star

Quote from: Jo498 on November 03, 2015, 11:15:56 PM
Has anyone heard Benjamin Schmid (Oehms)? That's one of the cheapest, so I am tempted...

I would imagine it's a safe bet: "Schmid displays awesome richness of tone and technical facility in Ysaye´s six sonatas." -- The Strad, June 2000.
He is certainly a great musician, based on the Ligeti VC with Lintu & Finnish RSO, but that is much more recent.

My photographs on Flickr

Jo498

Thanks; I had not been aware that the Ysaye with Schmid was so old and still from the "arte nova" days (they put a more recent photograph on the Oehms cover).
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

XB-70 Valkyrie

Ordered the Zehetmair. (I am also a sucker for those beautiful ECM covers.) I am also interested in the Oscar Shumsky and the others mentioned here later on.
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

kishnevi

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on November 03, 2015, 06:30:32 PM
Just ordered a used copy of this

Assuming it is the same recording on the Olympia CD also listed by Amazon, it was recorded in 1976.

Listened to Kremer's recording last night.   Seemed to be on about the same level as Zehetmair, meaning top tier.

Florestan

This is the only recording I have

Alexandru Tomescu is an excellent Romanian violinist, performing on George Enescu´s Stradivarius. If anyone´s interested in hearing the above CD just PM me. As a bonus I offer Paganini´s complete Caprices by the same guy.
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno