2015 Recordings of the Year

Started by Brian, November 09, 2015, 06:52:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

Yes, sadly, it's that time again! We grow old.

MusicWeb asks us to submit a top 5 (or 6 - grade inflation) by November 28. Here are the contenders I'm thinking about right now:

combo of Hildegard, Mehmet Ali Sanlikol, Golijov, and Beethoven by a brilliant Boston chamber orchestra

plus

That last is Vera Gornostaeva playing Schumann, Schubert, and Liszt.

and as if that wasn't enough, a dark horse in Lutoslawski's complete piano music:

Sigh. Decisions, decisions.

A wealth of riches!

Artem

kishnevi

I thought the Kalliwoda was good, but was it that good?
Going through my orders at Arkiv,  I remember these best.

kishnevi

BTW, to show the possibilities here,  of Brian's list the only one I have heard is the Kaliwoda.

Que

Brian, I assume this is a thread focused on new recordings issued in 2015? :)

I guess we're soon going to have our annual favourite purchases of the year as well.... :D

Personally I buy very few "new" recordings...so have little to contribute here...

Q

king ubu

There's always that gap ... with the cut-off date in November, what to do with November and December releases? If you put them with next year's, someone will complain, otherwise they fall in between ... should labels stop releasing music between from October to February (because no one has any money in January anyway)? Just asking ... these yearly round-ups should be done in spring, but then they're there for people to spend (waste?) money at x-mas ...

Anyway, best album to fall into last year's gap was of course - and entirely off topic - D'Angelo and the Vanguard's "Black Messiah" (no relation to Händel, methinks  ;))
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

The new erato

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on November 09, 2015, 07:28:34 PM
BTW, to show the possibilities here,  of Brian's list the only one I have heard is the Kaliwoda.
You're a noobie in this context; I have heard none! Guess I don't trust that reviewer.

Daverz

It's a bit early, and it'll probably take me years to catch up with my 2015 wishlist, but so far:

[asin]B015HNXTTI[/asin]
[asin]B012HPXPOI[/asin]
[asin]B00WCCYCVC[/asin]
[asin]B013FP4CJQ[/asin]
[asin]B00SZ0OO7C[/asin]
[asin]B00R8ILD1W[/asin]
[asin]B00CZ9CN4A[/asin]
[asin]B00QJN34YQ[/asin]
[asin]B00S6WC12E[/asin]
[asin]B00WF5R808[/asin]
[asin]B00TQA5186[/asin]
[asin]B00PO9AG0Q[/asin]
[asin]B00PCCWXPG[/asin]

The new erato

Is that Fine that fine?  :D

I liked the Foss quite a bit.

Daverz

Quote from: The new erato on November 10, 2015, 02:32:21 AM
Is that Fine that fine?  :D

Yes, it's excellent.  Plus points for repertoire.  The only other recordings are as old as I am.

The new erato

Quote from: Daverz on November 10, 2015, 02:37:21 AM
The only other recordings are as old as I am.
Wax cylinders?   :D

Thanks for the answer BTW. Will seriously have to consider that.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Que on November 09, 2015, 10:10:31 PM

I guess we're soon going to have our annual favourite purchases of the year as well.... :D

Personally I buy very few "new" recordings...so have little to contribute here...

Q
I usually have little to contribute as well, though this year two items have really stood out nonetheless (though I assume the box is a reissue - still issued this year).
[asin]B00U2U9VZS[/asin]
[asin]B00PTAU04C[/asin]
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Brian

Just remembered three more!!

Quote from: Que on November 09, 2015, 10:10:31 PM
Yes!

Quote from: Artem on November 09, 2015, 07:17:38 PM
Isn't Schuch 2014?
As king ubu said, since we must submit our nominations during November, Nov.-Dec. releases get lumped into the next year. It works differently with other websites, probably (Gramophone always seems really behind). I wish it were like the Oscars where we pick 'em in February, but the idea is also to provide a handy gift guide...

Jeffrey, Daverz, Neal -
Darn, I forgot about the Ibert, Martinon box, Rachel Barton Pine playing viola d'amore, Jadassohn, and Oregon Symphony "American Range." The Irving Fine set is near the top of my wishlist right now! And so is that Haydn.

2015 seems to have been a good year for us listeners.

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: Daverz on November 10, 2015, 02:02:35 AM
It's a bit early, and it'll probably take me years to catch up with my 2015 wishlist, but so far:

[asin]B00CZ9CN4A[/asin]

That's a good one, despite its pointless title (what does the "American range" have to do with this music?)
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

king ubu

my list of 2015 releases so far ... most of it will need much more time to sink in, so the ones with ratings might change again, too ... also this is only new releases, with reissues I'm even slower (that is, I buy mostly boxed sets and it takes me ages as I usually go by pieces, i.e. taking out all Brahms symphonies and piling them up with other recordings of the same ... remember I'm still a comparative newbie)

Bertrand Cuiller - Rameau: Pièces pour clavecin * * * * *
Philippe Jaroussky - Green: Mélodies françaises sur des poèmes de Verlaine * * * *1/2
Sophie Karthäuser, Ensemble Correspondances, Sébastien Daucé - Lalande: Leçons de Ténèbres * * * *1/2
Olga Peretyatko, Orchestra del Teatro Comunale di Bologna, Alberto Zedda - Rossini! * * * *
Hilary Hahn - Violin Concertos: Mozart 5, Vieuxtemps 4 * * * *
Nuria Rial/Artemandolino - Sospiri d'amanti * * * *
Amandine Beyer/Leila Schayegh - Caldara: Trio Sonatas * * *1/2

La Compagnia del Madrigale - Luca Marenzio: Quinto Libro di Madrigali a sei voci
Purcell Choir/Orfeo Orchestra/György Vashegyi - Rameau: Les Fêtes de Polymnie
Various Artists - Cipriano De Rore: Ancor Che Col Partire
Isabelle Faust, Jean-Guihen Queyras, Alexander Melnikov, Freiburger Barockorchester, Pablo Heras-Casado - Schumann: Violin Concerto
Alexander Melnikov, Isabelle Faust, Jean-Guihen Queyras, Freiburger Barockorchester, Pablo Heras-Casado - Schumann: Piano Concerto
Igor Levit - Bach: Goldberg Variations/Beethoven: Diabelli Variations/Rzewski: The People United Will Never Be Defeated
Karine Deshayes/Ensemble Contraste - Après un rêve
Kim Kashkashian/Sarah Rothenberg/Steven Schick/Houston Chamber Choir/Robert Simpson - Morton Feldman/Erik Satie/John Cage: Rothko Chapel
Kristian Bezuidenhout - Mozart: Keyboard Sonatas, Vol. 7
Grigory Sokolov - The Salzburg Recital

and the new Pappano "Aida", too ... will need some time to really arrive at
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

San Antone

I wholeheartily second the Arensky and Foss recordings and the David Krakauer, Dreams & Prayers, which I haven't heard, but will remedy that forthwith. 

I would strike the Pahud recording on acccount of its cover photograph alone.

;).

Daverz

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on November 10, 2015, 08:07:03 AM
That's a good one, despite its pointless title (what does the "American range" have to do with this music?)

Maybe?

Daverz

Quote from: king ubu on November 10, 2015, 08:25:25 AM
Isabelle Faust, Jean-Guihen Queyras, Alexander Melnikov, Freiburger Barockorchester, Pablo Heras-Casado - Schumann: Violin Concerto

Thought of including this, but I don't like the string tone in the coupled Trio.  She makes a good case for the Schumann concerto. 

Kim Kashkashian/Sarah Rothenberg/Steven Schick/Houston Chamber Choir/Robert Simpson - Morton Feldman/Erik Satie/John Cage: Rothko Chapel

Would love to hear this one.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Turner

I tend to focus on older recordings, or re-issues; therefore I am far behind the breaking news in my buying, but some recent ones that have caught my attention & that I will probably eventually invest in are:

- Ullén in Sorabji 100 Transcendental Etudes, vol. IV /BIS http://www.bis.se/index.php?op=album&aID=BIS-1853

- Bacevicius Piano Ctos etc. /Naxos  http://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp?item_code=8.573282

- Bacewicz String Quartets vol.1 & 2 / Naxos http://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp?item_code=8.572806 +   
  http://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp?item_code=8.572807

Also, the cd re-issue of John McCabe playing Nielsen´s complete piano works, from the fine old Decca LPs http://www.somm-recordings.com/somm/ifield.php?id=229