2015 Recordings of the Year

Started by Brian, November 09, 2015, 06:52:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

king ubu

Quote from: Daverz on November 10, 2015, 10:07:38 AM
Thought of including this, but I don't like the string tone in the coupled Trio.  She makes a good case for the Schumann concerto. 
I think so, too, but the concert hasn't fully clicked with me yet ... the list posted is that of all 2015 new releases I've bought so far, not of the best ones ... but as I buy what I want to get, I hope there won't be any big clinkers in it. Also I forgot a few, it seems (the two Cavalli discs by Pluhar and Alarcon, Campra's "Tancrède" by Schneebeli - all three sounded good on first listen). The best ones would be the ones on top of the list ...

Quote from: Daverz on November 10, 2015, 10:07:38 AM
Would love to hear this one.
Just got it a couple of days ago, but hope to play it soon (though I'm awaiting delivery of the monstrous new Dylan box and I'll be busy with other things this weekend, starting with the Dylan concert on Friday night ...)
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Sergeant Rock

My Top 5

Bruckner Symphony No.4, Honeck conducting the Pittsburgh

Nielsen Symphony Nos. 1 & 3, Oramo conducting the Royal Stockholm (released in Dec 2014 but I'm including it since these lists always come out early, before the end of the year)

Schumann Violin Concerto and Piano Trio op.110

Bach Partitas 1, 2 & 6 played by Edna Stern

Havergal Brian Symphony Nos. 6, 28, 29, 31, Walker conducting the New Russian State SO
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Mirror Image

I'm going to have to think about this one... (in Arnold Schwarzenegger voice) I'll be back. 8)

bhodges

Two Nielsen sets come to mind: Davis/LSO and Gilbert/NYPO, which Daverz noted. The Davis/LSO set was released earlier individually, but the complete box was released earlier this year.

Quote from: Daverz on November 10, 2015, 02:02:35 AM
[asin]B00WF5R808[/asin]

Nielsen: Symphonies Nos. 1-6 (Sir Colin Davis/LSO)

[asin]B00SKFJETK[/asin]

And Sarge's choice I completely agree with: not only a very fine Bruckner 4th, but one of the finest recent Bruckner recordings I've heard.

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on November 10, 2015, 11:21:56 AM

Bruckner Symphony No.4, Honeck conducting the Pittsburgh

--Bruce

Artem

If we're including last year, that disk would definitely be on my list of favorites.
Quote from: Brian on November 09, 2015, 06:52:35 PM

From this year I'd go with the following CD:
[asin]B00QJH5U94[/asin]

PeterWillem

ritter

Those that come to mind in my case (and that barely made the November issue date mark):

[asin]B013CPTZAA[/asin]
[asin]B01543CMX0[/asin]

And on the reissue front:

[asin]B00UW6AFXO[/asin]

TheGSMoeller

Looking back at my 2015 purchases about 80% were recordings from previous years and 20% were from this year. Perhaps someone will start a 2015 Purchases of the Year. Also, could we just go ahead now and announce that Honeck/Pitts' Bruckner 4th receives the GMG Best Orchestral Recording of the Year?
In any case, here are my tops for 2015 in random order...

[asin]B00SAGBE8S[/asin]
[asin]B00TISVGXA[/asin]
[asin]B00PXA1KV0[/asin]
[asin]B00R4VU7J2[/asin]

Artem

kishnevi

Quote from: Artem on November 15, 2015, 10:09:05 AM
This looks very interesting and goes straight into wish list.

I put a couple of La Reverdie CDs on my list after seeing that post.

Brian

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on November 15, 2015, 03:02:21 AMAlso, could we just go ahead now and announce that Honeck/Pitts' Bruckner 4th receives the GMG Best Orchestral Recording of the Year?

Not until you've all heard their new Beethoven!!!!!!

...but yeah, probably.  8)

Daverz

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on November 15, 2015, 03:02:21 AM
Also, could we just go ahead now and announce that Honeck/Pitts' Bruckner 4th receives the GMG Best Orchestral Recording of the Year?

[asin]B00R4VU7J2[/asin]

I also have it (HDTracks download), but haven't quite made up my mind about it.

jlaurson

Brian

Here is my final list of 6, as submitted to MusicWeb...

[asin]B015OPM7G0[/asin]

jlaurson

Fresh from Forbes:

DEC 9, 2015
The 10 Best Classical Recordings Of 2015 (New Releases)

It's fair to say to say that such "Best-Of" lists are inherently daft if one clings too
literally to the idea of "Best." Still, I have been making "Best of the Year" lists for
classical music since 2004, when working at Tower Records gave me a splendid
oversight (occasionally insight) of the new releases and of the re-releases that
hit the classical music market. Since then, I've kept tabs on the market as much
as possible. (The 2014 Forbes list for new recordings can be found here, the one
for re-issues here.)

(The entire list on Amazon for CDs and mp3s (incomplete) can be found here.
The complete-as-possible Spotify playlist here. Links to iTunes (where available)
and the high-fidelity streaming/download platform Qobuz are provided individually.)

Making these lists is a subjective affair, aided only by massive exposure and
hopefully good ears and a discriminating, if personal taste. But then "10 CDs
that, all caveats duly noted, I consider to have been outstanding in 2015"
does not make for a sexy headline. You get the point. The built-in hyperbole
of the phrase is a tool to understand what this is about, not symbolic of
illusions of grandeur on part of the author. Because the market lends itself to
it, I distinguish between new releases and re-releases. This is the Top 10 of
the former, the Top 10 of the re-issues will follow. Let's get right to it:...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jenslaurson/2015/12/09/the-10-best-classical-recordings-of-2015-new-releases/

GuybrushThreepwood

Just found the following list through the Harmonia Mundi Facebook page. IMHO both Bach recordings from the mentioned label (Britten Sinfonia with the Goldberg and Staeier with the harpsichord concertos) are true contenders for the prize.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/classical-music/best-new-albums/

Cato

Quote from: The new erato on November 10, 2015, 02:32:21 AM
Is that Fine that fine?  :D

Quote from: Daverz on November 10, 2015, 02:37:21 AM
Yes, it's excellent.  Plus points for repertoire.  The only other recordings are as old as I am.

I recall an article in the Wall Street Journal lamenting the neglect of Fine, so this fills a large hole in the available recordings.

National Public Radio issued this top 10: a Heinrich Biber Missa Salsburgensis which has more parts than the Tallis Spem seems to be an all-around favorite.

http://www.npr.org/sections/deceptivecadence/2015/12/17/459871725/our-10-favorite-classical-albums-of-2015?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=classical&utm_term=music&utm_content=2044
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

BitPerfectRichard

Actually, I don't know how you can possibly propose something unless you've heard all the ones you didn't vote for!
"I did play all the right notes ... just not in the right order!"  -  Eric Morecambe