Piano concertos with orchestral piano

Started by Maestro267, November 23, 2015, 03:45:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maestro267

Something I'm curious about. Are there any piano concertos (or other works for solo piano and orchestra) that include a second piano as part of the orchestral forces?

pjme

I think of Leonard Bernstein's second symphony The age of anxiety. Solo piano + tackpiano (or pianino?) in the orchestra.
There may be more examples...

Execellent performance with Krystian Zimerman and Bernstein / London / Barbican 1986! : https://youtu.be/Q-aU2Se1RHw

Peter

Brian

Peter Dickinson's piano concerto. It's one of those style-mashup type pieces where the musical language keeps twisting and turning, and one of the twists is, an orchestral piano suddenly bursts out into a full-on ragtime piece that's 4 minutes long. Almost unfair to give by far the most fun part to the orchestra member (the soloist tinkles in some dissonant notes around the edges).

Monsieur Croche

Morton Feldman -- Piano & Orchestra, (1975)

A concertante work, nonetheless with the piano soloist distinct as soloist. The piano in the orchestra is sometimes very blended with the orchestra, at other times so fused with the solo piano that any distinct 'two piano sound' is obscured.

The full piece can be found on Youtube in two links.

~ I'm all for personal expression; it just has to express something to me. ~

Dax

Monsieur Croche

CRMS

Bohuslav Martinu wrote 5 piano concerti, none of which I am currently familiar with, but if they are like any of his other works, they will include a piano in the orchestration.

pjme

As far as I could check ( Schott) none of the pîanoconcertos has an orchestral piano.... The very modestly scored concerto for harpsichord however, does have a prominent pianopart. A very lovely score btw.

You Tube : https://youtu.be/kQP-a2lxelQ

P.

EigenUser

Ives 4? Doesn't it require like 4 pianos to perform (one of them being a major solo part)?
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

Mirror Image

Monsieur Croche

Quote from: EigenUser on January 07, 2016, 03:24:08 PM
Ives 4? Doesn't it require like 4 pianos to perform (one of them being a major solo part)?

This symphony is not in any way a concerto, but good call, nonetheless.

From Wiki's list of its instrumentation:
"orchestral piano (4 hands), quarter tone piano (usually realized as two pianos tuned a quarter tone apart), solo piano, organ"

Even if that quarter tone piano was one keyboard [they exist but are extremely rare,] that looks like three separate piano roles, at any rate a minimum of two to cover the normally tuned and the quarter-tone pianos.

Without directly consulting the score it is not known if if the four-hand piano part and solo piano play simultaneously; if those two never sound simultaneously, one piano would be used for both the four-hand and solo parts.

Luke

Quote from: Monsieur Croche on January 10, 2016, 03:04:32 PM
This symphony is not in any way a concerto, but good call, nonetheless.

From Wiki's list of its instrumentation:
"orchestral piano (4 hands), quarter tone piano (usually realized as two pianos tuned a quarter tone apart), solo piano, organ"

Even if that quarter tone piano was one keyboard [those exist, and are extremely rare,] that looks like three separate piano roles, at any rate a minimum of two to cover the normally tuned and the quarter-tone pianos.

Without directly consulting the score to see if the four-hand piano part plays simultaneously with the solo piano; if those two never sound simultaneously, one piano would be used for the four-hand and the solo parts.

Checking out the score, it seems that wouldn't be the case, although it could easily have been. The solo piano is only in the first movement; the orchestral piano (4 hands), the quarter tone piano, the celesta and the organ (and the quarter tone 'ether organ') are only in the other movements. However Ives asked for the solo and orchestral pianos to be different instruments, widely spaced apart. See attached screen-grabs for more. Score available to view here http://issuu.com/scoresondemand/docs/symphony_no_4_perf_ed_47475

Luke

Monsieur Croche

Quote from: Luke on January 10, 2016, 03:43:11 PM
Checking out the score, it seems that wouldn't be the case, although it could easily have been. The solo piano is only in the first movement; the orchestral piano (4 hands), the quarter tone piano, the celesta and the organ (and the quarter tone 'ether organ') are only in the other movements. However Ives asked for the solo and orchestral pianos to be different instruments, widely spaced apart. See attached screen-grabs for more. Score available to view here http://issuu.com/scoresondemand/docs/symphony_no_4_perf_ed_47475

Thanks. Evidently it seems "Ether Organ," is "a reference to one of Leon Theremin's instruments (formerly thought to be the "space controlled" Theremin instrument, but now believed to be his Keyboard Harmonium)." ~ Wiki.