vandermolen

Did I do this already?    ::)

Vaughan Williams
Rautavaara 'The Journey'
Rubbra
Atterberg
Pettersson
Glazunov
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

jochanaan

Perhaps you did, but, anyway:

Beethoven
Bruckner
Schubert
Shostakovich
And, greatest of all:
Mahler "of a Thousand" (In "unpopular opinions" category, but it's my opinion and I'm sticking to it! ;D )

(I know that's only five, and the Schubert is Unfinished; but with Bruckner, Shostakovich and Mahler in the tally, they're equivalent to at least six "normal" symphonies! :laugh: )
Imagination + discipline = creativity

jochanaan

Someday when I have time I will listen to the complete Vaughan Williams cycle. 8)

Christo

Vaughan Williams
Holmboe
Tubin
Shostakovich
Tournemire
Brian
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Dee Sharp

Schubert
Shostakovich
Dvorak
Mahler
Beethoven
Miaskovsky

Green Destiny

Can't think of 6 :o - my choices:

Bruckner
Vaughan Williams
Shostakovich
Dvorak

Sergeant Rock

Havergal Brian
Vaughan Williams
Dvorak
Bruckner
Mahler
Lloyd
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Mirror Image

Only two come immediately to mind:

Vaughan Williams
Shostakovich

The rest I'll have to think about as there are many composers who didn't make it this far (numerically speaking of course). :)

TheGSMoeller

Haydn
Beethoven
Bruckner
Schnittke
Glass

And of course... Mahler! His 8th is a gorgeous masterpiece.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on November 27, 2015, 04:01:49 PM
Haydn
Beethoven
Bruckner
Schnittke
Glass

And of course... Mahler! His 8th is a gorgeous masterpiece.

Nice to see Glass mentioned! His 8th may just be my favourite of all his orchestral music.

What would I list....

Glass
Bruckner
Shostakovich
Schubert
Vaughan Williams
Mahler

bhodges

(Posting again after making a note: never post when tired.  8))

In alpha order:

Beethoven
Bruckner
Dvorak
Mahler
Schnittke
Shostakovich

Except for Vaughan Williams, I haven't heard most of the Eighths on Jeffrey and Christo's lists (and would like to, at some point).

--Bruce

Brian

Alphabetical

Atterberg
BEETHOVEN
DVORAK
G. Lloyd
Schubert "Great C Major"

...and I must confess that when I search my 2015 listening log for "Symphony No. 8," the only other results are Haydn 80-89!

vandermolen

Thanks to all for the interesting replies.  :) I must listen to the Glass which I don't know. The slow movement of Miaskovsky's 8th Symphony is one of his finest. I like the Tubin but prefer 1-5 + 10. The Tournemire is great, his last one I think. Had my list said 'greatest' I would have definitely included Bruckner, Schubert 'Unfinished', Shostakovich and Dvorak. Ashamed to say that I hardly know the Mahler but hear the epic No.3 in concert a couple of months ago which was a great experience. Agree about George Lloyd too. No.8 is one of the best. Today I have been thoroughly enjoying his valedictory 12th Symphony which is rather Baxian. Oh yes, the Holmboe is great - my introduction to his music on a Turnabout LP (a performance never released on CD as far as I'm aware).
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Maestro267

Mahler
Shostakovich
Brian
Vaughan Williams
Bruckner
Rubbra

jochanaan

Quote from: Brian on November 28, 2015, 06:35:57 AM...Schubert "Great C Major"...
From the "useless trivia" department: Schubert's Great C Major is actually his #7 or #9, depending on who you ask. :) Schubert's Eighth, by most accounts, is the Unfinished. $:)

Brian

Quote from: jochanaan on November 28, 2015, 05:03:14 PM
From the "useless trivia" department: Schubert's Great C Major is actually his #7 or #9, depending on who you ask. :) Schubert's Eighth, by most accounts, is the Unfinished. $:)
Now now, we already had a poll about this!! ;)

ComposerOfAvantGarde

I go by both counting systems for Schubert, thus in my post I do certainly mean both the Unfinished and Great C major symphonies :P

amw

Quote from: Brewski on November 28, 2015, 06:15:33 AM
Beethoven
Bruckner
Dvořák
Mahler Schubert D944
Schnittke
Shostakovich Schubert D759
That's not cheating right?

ComposerOfAvantGarde

vandermolen

Quote from: Brian on November 28, 2015, 06:35:57 AM
Alphabetical

Atterberg
BEETHOVEN
DVORAK
G. Lloyd
Schubert "Great C Major"

...and I must confess that when I search my 2015 listening log for "Symphony No. 8," the only other results are Haydn 80-89!
Nice to see another vote for Atterberg. The slow movement is my favourite in all his symphonies.