Six favourite eighth symphonies

Started by vandermolen, November 27, 2015, 07:36:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kyjo

The competition here is less fierce than with lower numbers...

Atterberg
Beethoven
Bruckner
Dvorak
Holmboe (a definite stand-out amongst lesser-known 8ths)
Lajtha
Nordgren (or Lloyd)
Vaughan Williams
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Florestan

Beethoven
Schubert
Dvorak
Shostakovich

Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

Daverz

Quote from: vandermolen on March 28, 2021, 12:12:43 AM
Why? Do you mean the symphony itself or the performance?

I forgot the symphony.  Though I admit I prefer tend to prefer Homlboe's smaller scale works like the chamber symphonies and concertos.

vandermolen

Quote from: Daverz on March 28, 2021, 12:56:02 PM
I forgot the symphony.  Though I admit I prefer tend to prefer Homlboe's smaller scale works like the chamber symphonies and concertos.
Oh, I'm with you now. I need to get to know those chamber symphonies.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Vaughan Williams and Dvorak's ....for starters.

Been enjoying this lovely performance of Dvorak's:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQTgC1KeIcI
The opening of this symphony always brings me joy and makes me smile.   :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 30, 2021, 05:50:52 AM
Vaughan Williams and Dvorak's ....for starters.

Been enjoying this lovely performance of Dvorak's:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQTgC1KeIcI
The opening of this symphony always brings me joy and makes me smile.   :)

PD
That is my favourite Dvorak symphony. Unfortunately his house/museum was closed when I walked past it on a visit to Prague.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on March 30, 2021, 11:09:48 PM
That is my favourite Dvorak symphony. Unfortunately his house/museum was closed when I walked past it on a visit to Prague.
Oh, bummer!  I'd love to see it too!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 31, 2021, 05:42:39 AM
Oh, bummer!  I'd love to see it too!

PD

Here it is PD:

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on March 31, 2021, 01:23:33 PM
Here it is PD:

What a beautiful home!  One of the things on my "bucket list" is to visit Prague---and hopefully hear some concerts there too.  :)

How long were you there for Jeffrey and what kinds of things did you do/see?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Florestan

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 01, 2021, 04:28:01 AMOne of the things on my "bucket list" is to visit Prague---and hopefully hear some concerts there too.  :)

I liked Prague even better than Vienna.  ;)
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

Christo

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Florestan

Quote from: Christo on April 01, 2021, 06:34:42 AM
Me too!

Cool, Johan!

One of the reasons I liked Prague better than Vienna is that Vltava flows straight through the city, while in Vienna I was shocked to discover that the Danube is actually quite far away from the city center.

The other one is the funicular.

And generally, I felt Prague to have a much more romantic, mysterious, even mystical feeling, than Vienna. That is not to say that I dislike Vienna, far from it.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: vandermolen on March 26, 2021, 12:39:08 AM
NOW EIGHT ARE ALLOWED

Havergal Brian
Vaughan Williams
Dvorak
Bruckner
Mahler
Lloyd
Haydn ("Le soir")
Beethoven

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Florestan

vandermolen

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 01, 2021, 07:02:28 AM
Havergal Brian
Vaughan Williams
Dvorak
Bruckner
Mahler
Lloyd
Haydn ("Le soir")
Beethoven

Sarge
Great choices (for me) Sarge! I'd forgotten about the Lloyd, which was the first one to appear on a Lyrita LP. It created quite a stir: