Is This Really a Part-Time Pianist???

Started by Holden, January 13, 2023, 03:34:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holden

Cheers

Holden

Brian

All positive thoughts. His Beethoven/Liszt Eroica is astonishing, one of the satisfying experiences with that symphony I've had in years. In addition to the sheer skill, it's so intelligently planned out.

An extraordinary talent.

Wanderer

Quote from: Holden on January 13, 2023, 03:34:08 PMThoughts anybody? I am mightily impressed with both his technical skill and also his musicianship.

Also, his repertoire choices. Others have already recorded the Beethoven/Liszt transcriptions with equally successful results, but his is the first commercial recording of this particular Mozart/Alkan trascription and its weird, magnificent cadenzas! I have been waiting for someone to record it for more than 20 years. I do hope he'll include the other gargantuan Alkan transcription, that of the first movement of Beethoven's Third Piano Concerto, in one of his next projects. Perhaps along with another Beethoven/Liszt symphony. That would be a magnificent companion project. And I hope he records more Alkan in general.

Todd

The dude plays a solo transcription of D940.  Well.  I mean, come on, how nuts is that?

There are some other part-timers with ability out there.  John Kane was pianist turned accomplished accountant who records and performs core rep.  He's not up to Wee's level.  Naida Cole briefly recorded for Decca and toured, but then she became a doctor.  Her two albums are very good.  My understanding is that she still gives the occasional fundraiser concert or recital, but I don't know if she has kept up her earlier standard of playing.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

relm1

So, he's just a classic overachiever.  Probably had years of piano practice before he started law school and was already at pro level proficiency.  I'd imagine he'll eventually choose one over the other.  "The man who chases two rabbits catches neither."

Todd

Quote from: relm1 on January 14, 2023, 06:03:58 AMSo, he's just a classic overachiever.  Probably had years of piano practice before he started law school and was already at pro level proficiency.  I'd imagine he'll eventually choose one over the other.  "The man who chases two rabbits catches neither."

His website header says Paul Wee Pianist & Barrister, so he is evidently proud of his accomplishments in both fields.  Maybe he gives one up.

Brian

My suspicion is that being a touring virtuoso is substantially less profitable than a career in law, and easier to sustain as a hobby, than the other way around. Certainly the business of making recordings is not a money maker for most performers.

Quote from: Wanderer on January 14, 2023, 01:03:48 AMthis particular Mozart/Alkan trascription and its weird, magnificent cadenzas!
Oh goodness yes. When the first cadenza started I stared at my speaker as if aliens were possessing it!

Todd

Quote from: Brian on January 14, 2023, 06:22:03 AMMy suspicion is that being a touring virtuoso is substantially less profitable than a career in law, and easier to sustain as a hobby, than the other way around.

This is true.  Does Wee even tour?  A few extraordinary pianists gave up the touring life and made recordings from time to time, though typically they made money teaching or staying more local.  Michel Block comes to mind.

Brian

Quote from: Todd on January 14, 2023, 06:26:23 AMDoes Wee even tour?
Good point - I haven't had time to click Holden's links yet but the only Wee videos I have seen are solo concerts in London. Part of me cynically wondered if he gives concerts and posts them on YouTube just to prove that this is not a Joyce Hatto situation.

Todd

Quote from: Brian on January 14, 2023, 06:36:37 AMGood point - I haven't had time to click Holden's links yet but the only Wee videos I have seen are solo concerts in London.

If one lives in London - or New York, Berlin, or Paris - touring is not really needed for a performing career. 

Quote from: Brian on January 14, 2023, 06:36:37 AMPart of me cynically wondered if he gives concerts and posts them on YouTube just to prove that this is not a Joyce Hatto situation.

Not a bad idea.

Mandryka

Quote from: Wanderer on January 14, 2023, 01:03:48 AMOh goodness yes. When the first cadenza started I stared at my speaker as if aliens were possessing it!

Well I like music from Mars, so I listened to that track.

Is this guy a special musician really? I mean, I could hear the metronome in quite a bit of the first movement -- you can't hear metronomes if the musician is good. And I didn't sense much special from the point of view of timbre or phrasing or dynamics - boots on piano almost -- very good boot technique clearly.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darĂ¼ber muss man schweigen