Scriabin Piano Concerto

Started by George, January 06, 2016, 07:58:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George

Somehow, I don't own this work.

Who are your favorite(s)?

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Drasko

I love Scriabin but never could really get into this piece for some reason, undoubtedly beautiful though it is.

Usual suspects would be Ugorski/Boulez, Ashkenazy/Maazel, Demidenko/Lazarev and Feinberg/Gauk or Neuhaus/Golovanov of historical ones. There is new recording by Sudbin which could be decent.

springrite

The Ashkenazy/Maazel is wonderful.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Wanderer

Hands down, the Demidenko/Lazarev. Demidenko gives a passionate performance (marvelous phrasing and tone) and, more importantly, adheres to the sui generis sensibility that this work demands. Nobody else has reached this level of incandescence yet (and I have heard them all). The CD has a superb Tchaikovsky 1 as a companion piece which still manages to be in my top 5, maybe even top 3.

Mirror Image

I really admire the Postnikova/Rozhdestvensky on Chandos, but also the Ashkenazy/Maazel on Decca. Two stellar performances that I wouldn't want to be without. I haven't heard the Demidenko/Lazarev which Wanderer mentioned. Must seek this one out.

Luke

Definitely the Demidenko for me. And this is a piece I adore.

Turner

I tend to like the Bashkirov/Kondrashin and Ponti/Drewanz - both old and with a not very good sound.

It´s been too long since I last heard Stanislav Neuhaus/Dubrovski and Neuhaus/Golovanov for me to say anything.

I also have Ugorski/Boulez and B-Skoda/Swoboda.

Cato

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

North Star

Another vote for Demidenko & Lazarev.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

kishnevi

I started in with the first CD of this budget box tonight.  The PC is on CD 2, so I will probably listen to it tomorrow.  Oppitz is the soloist.

Performance dates from 1993.

George

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on January 10, 2016, 06:49:41 PM
I started in with the first CD of this budget box tonight.  The PC is on CD 2, so I will probably listen to it tomorrow.  Oppitz is the soloist.

Thanks, Jeffrey! Please let us know what you think of that set?

bhodges

I have only heard Ugorski/Boulez - and like it - though I would be open to other interpretations. Sounds like Demidenko is getting high praise. (Most of the time I am not willing to "listen through" mediocre sound.)

--Bruce

kishnevi

Quote from: George on January 10, 2016, 07:11:58 PM
Thanks, Jeffrey! Please let us know what you think of that set?

CD1....Symphony 1 and Poeme d'Extase....lush to the point of almost but not quite toppling over itself. 

Bear in mind that it had been so long since I listened to the PC that I have no memory of it!  I think I have the Ashkenazy recording and no other.

kishnevi

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on January 10, 2016, 06:49:41 PM

The PC is unexpectedly (in comparison to the symphonies) restrained and meditative. 

George

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on January 11, 2016, 07:11:33 AM
The PC is unexpectedly (in comparison to the symphonies) restrained and meditative.

Thanks again!