David Hurwitz

Started by Scion7, January 11, 2016, 06:42:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Florestan on March 30, 2024, 11:55:19 AMMy money's on HER-wits (ts pronounced as in tsar, the equivalent of German z).

He invariably introduces himself with his full name at the start of each video, in case you didn't recognize him.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Luke on March 29, 2024, 07:10:03 AM*swooning with jealousy*

(I don't have a printed copy of Don at all, I'm looking at a scan; as physical objects i have a couple of Improvisations, Le marteau sans maitre and Le soleil des eaux.

The score of Tombeau is only $120 in USD.

ritter

Quote from: (poco) Sforzando on March 30, 2024, 01:02:19 PMThe score of Tombeau is only $120 in USD.
...and worth every penny!  :)

Just chipping in to say that I too regard Pli selon pli as Boulez's absolute masterpiece. A work of rarefied, intense beauty, and one that never ceases to amaze me.

Luke

Oh well in that case, put me down for 5

Todd

Quote from: DavidW on March 30, 2024, 08:42:05 AMIt doesn't make any sense to compare to a youtuber in a much more popular subject.

The YouTuber I cited is not popular.  David Hurwitz is less popular than an unpopular YouTuber.  That's the point.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Daverz

Maybe it's time for a Hurwitz Derangement Syndrome thread.  The bitchfest is getting as tiresome as a bad Hurwitz video.

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: Daverz on March 30, 2024, 03:09:24 PMMaybe it's time for a Hurwitz Derangement Syndrome thread.  The bitchfest is getting as tiresome as a bad Hurwitz video.

To counter the bitchfest, I will point out that I've gotten some good recommendations from Hurwitz. Also, occasionally he writes something interesting or makes a worthwhile point.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

DavidW

btw I've moved the second digression to the first digression's thread in the diner.

DavidW

Quote from: Daverz on March 30, 2024, 03:09:24 PMMaybe it's time for a Hurwitz Derangement Syndrome thread.  The bitchfest is getting as tiresome as a bad Hurwitz video.

Well I mean this is it!  It started that way and has always been that way.  I think really we need a "Hurwitz fan club" for people to just discuss his reviews without the old argument coming up.

Mookalafalas

Quote from: DavidW on March 30, 2024, 05:00:51 PMWell I mean this is it!  It started that way and has always been that way.  I think really we need a "Hurwitz fan club" for people to just discuss his reviews without the old argument coming up.
I'm not crazy about joining a "Hurwitz fan club," but I think it's the only way to make this thread viable.
It's all good...

Karl Henning

Could it be as simple as re-titling this thread?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on March 30, 2024, 03:31:39 PMTo counter the bitchfest, I will point out that I've gotten some good recommendations from Hurwitz. Also, occasionally he writes something interesting or makes a worthwhile point.

Unquestionably so. Perhaps to counter all the bitchfest, I should make a list of all kinds of things from Hurwitz I admire. (I just don't want him to get a swelled head.)

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: DavidW on March 30, 2024, 04:59:07 PMbtw I've moved the second digression to the first digression's thread in the diner.

And where will you move the third digression>

LKB

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on March 30, 2024, 03:31:39 PMTo counter the bitchfest, I will point out that I've gotten some good recommendations from Hurwitz. Also, occasionally he writes something interesting or makes a worthwhile point.

Time for my favorite couplet again:

Accidents happen.
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

DavidW

Quote from: Karl Henning on March 30, 2024, 05:11:19 PMCould it be as simple as re-titling this thread?

The Cult of Hurwitz! :P  ;D  ;D

DavidW

(poco) Sforzando

Lest you think David Hurwitz's attitude towards Mäkelä isn't informed by some degree of personal vindictiveness:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rh3lWkEsFH8

Roasted Swan

Quote from: (poco) Sforzando on April 03, 2024, 07:37:49 AMLest you think David Hurwitz's attitude towards Mäkelä isn't informed by some degree of personal vindictiveness:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rh3lWkEsFH8

At a single stroke any claims of objectivity or considered critical thought go out of the window with this prime example of ugly bitching - can it be called anything else?  I have no idea if Makela will be great or a failure but at least give the guy a chance!  The appointment is - in part at least - made with the co-operation of the players who are no fools and won't tolerate a nobody on the rostrum.  Yes a nice recording contract helps of course but players won't tolerate mediocrity.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Roasted Swan on April 03, 2024, 12:34:31 PMAt a single stroke any claims of objectivity or considered critical thought go out of the window with this prime example of ugly bitching - can it be called anything else?  I have no idea if Makela will be great or a failure but at least give the guy a chance!  The appointment is - in part at least - made with the co-operation of the players who are no fools and won't tolerate a nobody on the rostrum.  Yes a nice recording contract helps of course but players won't tolerate mediocrity.
No, indeed. That he has won the admiration of the band counts for a very great deal.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot