David Hurwitz

Started by Scion7, January 11, 2016, 06:42:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irons

Quote from: André on July 28, 2020, 06:40:38 AM
The Dilkes recording is available on CD, as a used item on the market place. It's my favourite version of the work. I know it through Jeffrey's advocacy  ;).

Excellent. Thanks for correction.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Symphonic Addict

I've been rather unfair with this gent. I've been watching several of his videos and I've changed my mind about him. His stuff is informative, insightful and has a huge touch of good humour. But above all I admire his enthusiasm and certain impudence to share his knowledge and tastes. It's rather infectious, isn't it? I don't stumble upon people who have that spark to convey that authentic passion about classical music. I really admire that, and, of course, I feel fully identified with that behavior. And what about when he hums a tune while explaining? Very hilarious! I don't share many of his views on recordings and works, though, but I've found many of his reviews and comparisons spot on.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

Quote from: André on July 28, 2020, 06:40:38 AM
The Dilkes recording is available on CD, as a used item on the market place. It's my favourite version of the work. I know it through Jeffrey's advocacy  ;).
That recording had a huge impact on me when I bought the LP in the Record Dept. of Harrods when I worked there in my university summer holidays.

I recently watched and greatly enjoyed Mr Hurwitz's tribute to the conductor Maurice Abravanel and the Utah SO on the Vanguard label, focusing on CDs of music by Milhaud, Varese VW, Satie and Honegger.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

ritter

Quote from: vandermolen on July 30, 2020, 03:36:30 AM
...I recently watched and greatly enjoyed Mr Hurwitz's tribute to the conductor Maurice Abravanel and the Utah SO on the Vanguard label, focusing on CDs of music by Milhaud, Varese VW, Satie and Honegger.
+1....and as proof thereof, https://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,21529.msg1309253.html#msg1309253

:)

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

mc ukrneal

Can we please change the name of this thread to something less insulting? Just taking out the offending word would be the bare minimum. Thank you.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Jo498

Hurwitz has a bunch of pet peeves and oddball favorites and he uses especially the former to provoke people (create traffic). It's been like that on ClassicsToday for a long time. Some of his bêtes noires are Rattle, Furtwängler, Horenstein, Norrington (and to a lesser extent historically oriented musicians in general), historical recordings, Lieder and the fans of all these artists or genres. Some of his obsessions are percussion, especially tamtam and string vibrato.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Christo

Quote from: mc ukrneal on July 30, 2020, 03:47:11 AM
Can we please change the name of this thread to something less insulting? Just taking out the offending word would be the bare minimum. Thank you.
+1
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: mc ukrneal on July 30, 2020, 03:47:11 AM

Quote from: Christo on July 30, 2020, 04:56:33 AM
+1

+2
Pohjolas Daughter

Todd

The thread title as-is gets more clicks.  I suspect Mr Hurwitz would be fine with it if he paid any attention to this site.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Brian

Quote from: Todd on July 30, 2020, 06:36:27 AM
The thread title as-is gets more clicks.  I suspect Mr Hurwitz would be fine with it if he paid any attention to this site.
He'd probably find this whole thread quite amusing (especially the edited/removed first post). Maybe we should forward it.

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on July 29, 2020, 06:13:52 PM
I've been rather unfair with this gent. I've been watching several of his videos and I've changed my mind about him. His stuff is informative, insightful and has a huge touch of good humour. But above all I admire his enthusiasm and certain impudence to share his knowledge and tastes. It's rather infectious, isn't it? I don't stumble upon people who have that spark to convey that authentic passion about classical music. I really admire that, and, of course, I feel fully identified with that behavior. And what about when he hums a tune while explaining? Very hilarious! I don't share many of his views on recordings and works, though, but I've found many of his reviews and comparisons spot on.
Welcome to the club!

TheGSMoeller

Hurwitz has more pages in his thread than Alban Berg's.

And his videos continue to be a great watch. I also found out a few years ago that a book I bought back in high school, around 1993, titled Beethoven or Bust was written by Hurwitz. I believe it was his first book too.

Pohjolas Daughter

I noticed a little while ago that someone has adjusted the thread's name.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 30, 2020, 08:02:44 AM
I noticed a little while ago that someone has adjusted the thread's name.  :)

PD
For which I offer my thanks!
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

vandermolen

Quote from: Jo498 on July 30, 2020, 03:52:59 AM
Hurwitz has a bunch of pet peeves and oddball favorites and he uses especially the former to provoke people (create traffic). It's been like that on ClassicsToday for a long time. Some of his bêtes noires are Rattle, Furtwängler, Horenstein, Norrington (and to a lesser extent historically oriented musicians in general), historical recordings, Lieder and the fans of all these artists or genres. Some of his obsessions are percussion, especially tamtam and string vibrato.
I very much agree with him about Rattle and Norrington but totally disagree with his verdict on Horenstein and Furtwangler.

j winter

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on July 29, 2020, 06:13:52 PM

I would largely agree with this.  I definitely don't agree with all of his picks, but he's definitely knowledgeable and IMO the videos are worth the time if the repertoire under discussion is of interest.  I've watched quite a few and enjoyed them.

As Hurwitz himself points out in one of videos, it can be very difficult sometimes to convey a sense of humor in writing -- a statement that might seem simplistic or needlessly argumentative in print can come across very differently when you can hear the tone of his voice and see the twinkle in his eye.  I suspect the same thing happens quite often on this forum actually -- a lot of the misunderstandings and arguments we get into would probably never happen if we were in the same room, or could at least see and hear the cues that contribute to a good conversation... alas, there are inevitable downsides to a text-based format such as this...  :-\
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

TheGSMoeller

I see posters here saying they don't agree with Hurwitz 100% of the time, and that includes me saying that as well. But I've also never read, or watched, a critic of any art form that I agreed with 100% of the time, I don't see that being possible. I really enjoy reading negative reviews, or criticisms, that I don't agree with, or those that have a different opinion of mine. It helps me to experience the piece from a side I may have missed, or ignored. Or it could even confirm my opinion. Of course I would need more than a "I just didn't like it" review to make it worth it.
When shopping I often find myself seeking out negative reviews of that product, or service, more than I do the positive reviews. Anyone else find themselves doing this?

vandermolen

Quote from: j winter on July 30, 2020, 11:43:12 AM
I would largely agree with this.  I definitely don't agree with all of his picks, but he's definitely knowledgeable and IMO the videos are worth the time if the repertoire under discussion is of interest.  I've watched quite a few and enjoyed them.

As Hurwitz himself points out in one of videos, it can be very difficult sometimes to convey a sense of humor in writing -- a statement that might seem simplistic or needlessly argumentative in print can come across very differently when you can hear the tone of his voice and see the twinkle in his eye.  I suspect the same thing happens quite often on this forum actually -- a lot of the misunderstandings and arguments we get into would probably never happen if we were in the same room, or could at least see and hear the cues that contribute to a good conversation... alas, there are inevitable downsides to a text-based format such as this...  :-\
Very good point about text-based communications.

André

Quote from: vandermolen on July 30, 2020, 10:55:46 AM
I very much agree with him about Rattle and Norrington but totally disagree with his verdict on Horenstein and Furtwangler.

Exactly.

Karl Henning

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on July 30, 2020, 12:09:20 PM
I see posters here saying they don't agree with Hurwitz 100% of the time, and that includes me saying that as well. But I've also never read, or watched, a critic of any art form that I agreed with 100% of the time, I don't see that being possible. I really enjoy reading negative reviews, or criticisms, that I don't agree with, or those that have a different opinion of mine. It helps me to experience the piece from a side I may have missed, or ignored. Or it could even confirm my opinion. Of course I would need more than a "I just didn't like it" review to make it worth it.
When shopping I often find myself seeking out negative reviews of that product, or service, more than I do the positive reviews. Anyone else find themselves doing this?

Good sense!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot