David Hurwitz

Started by Scion7, January 11, 2016, 06:42:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brahmsian

I just listened to his "Do it yourself guide to Renaissance Polyphony" video and enjoyed it. A subject I know absolutely nothing about, but I wanted to see the video to learn a little about this subject.

A great topic for someone with little experience or knowledge about this era of music that so many people overlook (probably even more than the avant-garde stuff).

Leo K.

I am happy to say that thanks to Hurwitz's videos I have gained some more favorite works and composers:

Sibelius - a real REVELATION
Carl Nielsen - WOW
Janacek's Sinfonia (where has this been all my life!)
Villa Lobos complete symphonies- OMG
Shostakovich - YES - a slow burn but now AMAZING
Prokofiev - SUBLIME

Brahmsian

Quote from: Leo K. on February 19, 2021, 11:32:53 AM

Marvelous, infectious work. Isn't it?  :)

71 dB

Quote from: Brian on February 19, 2021, 07:54:27 AM
("I don't like his videos, I don't like his voice, I don't like his opinions, I don't like that other people watch him").

It's completely okay to not like someone's videos, voice or opinions, but to be bothered about other people liking those things is frankly quite stupid.  :-\
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

(poco) Sforzando

Mirror Image, by my count you have posted on this thread 23 times in the last 60 days. I question why you continue to contribute given that all 23 of the posts carry the same message ("I don't like his videos, I don't like his voice, I don't like his opinions, I don't like that other people watch him"). If you feel that way, maybe a more productive and healthy attitude - both for those of us who like to talk about the videos in this thread, and for your own time and energy! - would be to just ignore Hurwitz and ignore this discussion.

Of course, the purpose of this is not to censor you. But your opinion has already been made clear, many times, and surely you would be happier and healthier if you moved on to some other topic. Put it another way. I, like Dave, have a blind spot (perhaps unfortunate) when it comes to Boulez. Would you like me to find the Boulez thread and write 23 posts repeating that I don't like his compositions?

He also introduced us to Samuel Andreyev. That deserves some points.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

not edward

Quote from: (poco) Sforzando on February 19, 2021, 12:05:06 PM
Is this the same Samuel Andreyev who's had a couple of discs of chamber music recently released on Kairos?
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

DavidW

Quote from: Leo K. on February 19, 2021, 11:32:53 AM
I am happy to say that thanks to Hurwitz's videos I have gained some more favorite works and composers:

Sibelius - a real REVELATION
Carl Nielsen - WOW
Villa Lobos complete symphonies- OMG
Shostakovich - YES - a slow burn but now AMAZING
Prokofiev - SUBLIME

Leo were you just not listening to 20th century before?  I'm just asking because these are not exactly esoteric works.

Leo K.

Quote from: DavidW on February 19, 2021, 01:29:52 PM
Leo were you just not listening to 20th century before?  I'm just asking because these are not exactly esoteric works.

I love 20th Century composers but I had a few blind spots, haha :) Also, I knew these were blindspots and I had better get into the conversation!

DavidW

Quote from: Leo K. on February 19, 2021, 01:54:59 PM
Also, I knew these were blindspots and I had better get into the conversation!

Yeah or MI will come after you!

Daverz

Quote from: not edward on February 19, 2021, 12:29:45 PM
Is this the same Samuel Andreyev who's had a couple of discs of chamber music recently released on Kairos?

Yes

https://www.youtube.com/v/WgvDbf3UZrM

Mirror Image

Mirror Image, by my count you have posted on this thread 23 times in the last 60 days. I question why you continue to contribute given that all 23 of the posts carry the same message ("I don't like his videos, I don't like his voice, I don't like his opinions, I don't like that other people watch him"). If you feel that way, maybe a more productive and healthy attitude - both for those of us who like to talk about the videos in this thread, and for your own time and energy! - would be to just ignore Hurwitz and ignore this discussion.

Of course, the purpose of this is not to censor you. But your opinion has already been made clear, many times, and surely you would be happier and healthier if you moved on to some other topic. Put it another way. I, like Dave, have a blind spot (perhaps unfortunate) when it comes to Boulez. Would you like me to find the Boulez thread and write 23 posts repeating that I don't like his compositions?

Point taken, but have you posted a 30 second video telling everyone that Boulez's music is trash? Anyway, if you want to go over to the Boulez thread and trash his music that's your prerogative, but bear in mind, that you don't have as much of an influence as he does. Hurwitz currently has 5.86K subscribers, so that's 5.86K people who might have seen his Boulez video. As you mentioned, my opinion on Hurwitz is well-established at this juncture, but can you honestly say that the Boulez video was in good taste?

Mirror Image

Mirror Image

Quote from: (poco) Sforzando on February 19, 2021, 12:05:06 PM

Hah! The moment I get any kind of kudos from Brian would be a cold day in hell.

Brahmsian

One thing I had not realized was just how many books that David Hurwitz has written.

I am considering maybe getting his book on Dvořák.

Alternatively, does anyone have any recommendations on a good book, comprehensive on Dvořák that is written hopefully in less technical music language, for the layman?

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: OrchestralNut on May 15, 2021, 08:10:17 AM
One thing I had not realized was just how many books that David Hurwitz has written.

Alternatively, does anyone have any recommendations on a good book, comprehensive on Dvořák that is written hopefully in less technical music language, for the layman?
I'd love to hear those too!  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Mirror Image

Quote from: OrchestralNut on May 15, 2021, 08:10:17 AM

I own his book on Shostakovich and, honestly, the whole book just felt like a general overview and didn't go into depth. In other words, I didn't learn anything from it. I suspect his Dvořák is given similar treatment.

kyjo

I generally like Hurwitz, but not his recent obsession with reviewing mega conductor-centric boxes. I find this stuff pretty pointless. I mean, what's the use in getting a 100CD box when you can find better recordings of 80% of the repertoire featured in it (as he himself admits)? My favorite videos of his - naturally - are the one where he spotlights lesser-known composers - but those seem to be becoming fewer and farther between these days.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Daverz

Quote from: kyjo on May 19, 2021, 09:28:43 AM
I generally like Hurwitz, but not his recent obsession with reviewing mega conductor-centric boxes. I find this stuff pretty pointless. I mean, what's the use in getting a 100CD box when you can find better recordings of 80% of the repertoire featured in it (as he himself admits)? My favorite videos of his - naturally - are the one where he spotlights lesser-known composers - but those seem to be becoming fewer and farther between these days.

I really enjoyed the 90 minute review of the 120 CD Ormandy box.  The preceding takedown of the Grammophone review was great, too.

By the way, there are some classic recordings of lesser known composers in that box.

Madiel

90 minute long review?

I could watch the movie in the same amount of time...
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Daverz

Quote from: Madiel on May 19, 2021, 11:09:20 PM
90 minute long review?

I could watch the movie in the same amount of time...

No need to watch it.  It's the kind of thing you listen to while doing housework.