David Hurwitz

Started by Scion7, January 11, 2016, 06:42:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Karl Henning on October 10, 2023, 05:30:04 AMOf course. Just a point of clarification on my side, it is no question of being offended by any opinion he expresses. I express opinions all the time, and my opinion of Hurwitz is that he is largely an ass in whose opinions I take no interest.

There are almost 8 billion people on this planet in whose opinions you take no interest. What sets Hurwitz apart? Is it that too many other people take interest in his unworthy opinions? :)
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

71 dB

Quote from: Spotted Horses on October 14, 2023, 07:55:43 AMThere are almost 8 billion people on this planet in whose opinions you take no interest. What sets Hurwitz apart? Is it that too many other people take interest in his unworthy opinions? :)

Most of those 8 billion people do not express their opinions via a Youtube channel making them viewable to anyone with an internet connection.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Spotted Horses

Quote from: 71 dB on October 14, 2023, 08:24:04 AMMost of those 8 billion people do not express their opinions via a Youtube channel making them viewable to anyone with an internet connection.

Ok, only 51 million YouTube channels that I take no interest in.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

71 dB

Quote from: Spotted Horses on October 14, 2023, 08:26:22 AMOk, only 51 million YouTube channels that I take no interest in.

I bet you'd be interested in thousands of those channels if you had time to watch them (and get hooked).

Spotted Horses

Quote from: 71 dB on October 14, 2023, 08:30:13 AMI bet you'd be interested in thousands of those channels if you had time to watch them (and get hooked).

I have become familiar with a few. I can recommend Handyman Hal and Kids Crew. Also a few dedicated to robot vacuum cleaners, in case you'd like to see a video with two dozen (at least) robot vacuum cleaners competing to clean up confetti from a woman's bedroom floor. I don't find myself railing against any of them. :)

Karl Henning

Quote from: 71 dB on October 14, 2023, 07:48:13 AMWould you Karl say he comes out as an ass in this video? Furthermore, do you disagree and in what way with what he says in this video?

I appreciate the question. I beg to be excused from the exercise. 
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: Spotted Horses on October 14, 2023, 07:55:43 AMThere are almost 8 billion people on this planet in whose opinions you take no interest. What sets Hurwitz apart? Is it that too many other people take interest in his unworthy opinions? :)
Anyone who finds value in his opinions is at liberty. 
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

71 dB

Quote from: Spotted Horses on October 14, 2023, 08:43:21 AMI have become familiar with a few. I can recommend Handyman Hal and Kids Crew. Also a few dedicated to robot vacuum cleaners, in case you'd like to see a video with two dozen (at least) robot vacuum cleaners competing to clean up confetti from a woman's bedroom floor. I don't find myself railing against any of them. :)

Thanks but I have found enought to keep me busy. For tonight I have at least these:

David Bennett Piano: Bohemian Rhapsody in 9 different scales - 14:01
Daiki Yoshikawa: I Learned How To Make Finnish Salmon Soup and Cinnamon Rolls - 13:13
The Proper People: Exploring an Abandoned Mall Frozen in Time - 28:59
Dar The Traveler: Duolingo Nordic Countries Languages Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland - 52:03

In an hour I assume this will be published (prediction):

Jules Reacts: The X Files 3x21 Avatar Reaction | First Time Watching - ~25 min
EDIT: Yes, it happened as I predicted! (24:53)

I feel like people produce and publish interesting Youtube videos faster than I am able to watch.

(poco) Sforzando

A much more impressive YouTube commentator on classical music:
https://www.youtube.com/c/ClassicalNerd

Just turn to his video on Elliott Carter for a start.

These guys are a lot of fun too, and totally unpretentious:
https://www.youtube.com/@twosetviolin

None of this Hurwitzian "look at me show off how many compact discs I've bought."
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

Madiel

Quote from: (poco) Sforzando on October 14, 2023, 12:25:14 PMA much more impressive YouTube commentator on classical music:

None of this Hurwitzian "look at me show off how many compact discs I've bought."

I was with you until that last line. Partly because it's stupid to criticise a professional reviewer for having lots of discs, and partly because it's especially stupid to do so here in GMG where there are people who would own more copies of a work than Hurwitz does.

Also, while I appreciate the other channels, it is very quickly obvious that they are not reviewing recordings.. He is a reviewer, not a "commentator on classical music". These are not replacements.

Both of these make me think you don't actually understand what Hurwitz is doing. But especially the comment about how many CDs he has.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: (poco) Sforzando on October 14, 2023, 12:25:14 PMA much more impressive YouTube commentator on classical music:

Will have to check out your links.  I'm trying to remember one by someone who was a professional musician (and is employed in a classical orchestra).

I did just watch one video that D.H. did on Penderecki (also *Gerhard and Tippett which I'll probably watch those segments at some time).  I did appreciate most of his comments and musical samples that he gave.  He has some other ones on Penderecki (whom he had met and attended concerts with him conducting).  I hadn't realized that Cannes also had classical music awards and what position he had there too.  It was interesting for me to learn more about Penderecki and how his style changed over time.

*Don't know his music at all and I probably should also explore more Tippett.  I like some of the works that I've heard by Tippett, but was turned off by others of his.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Madiel on October 14, 2023, 12:49:51 PMI was with you until that last line. Partly because it's stupid to criticise a professional reviewer for having lots of discs, and partly because it's especially stupid to do so here in GMG where there are people who would own more copies of a work than Hurwitz does.

Also, while I appreciate the other channels, it is very quickly obvious that they are not reviewing recordings.. He is a reviewer, not a "commentator on classical music". These are not replacements.

Both of these make me think you don't actually understand what Hurwitz is doing. But especially the comment about how many CDs he has.

Thank you for telling me how stupid I am. Twice. I was unaware. But I think I understand what Hurwitz is doing quite well, and it goes beyond reviewing recordings. If I had time or energy or interest, I would go into more detail, but it emphatically includes being a "commentator on classical music" in addition to being a record reviewer. And the endless need to acquire more stuff, so much that he scarcely knows all he has, and to show off to his fawning audience how much stuff he has, is part of a culture where conspicuous consumption is threatening to overwhelm musical values.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

Madiel

Quote from: (poco) Sforzando on October 14, 2023, 01:41:34 PMAnd the endless need to acquire more stuff, so much that he scarcely knows all he has, and to show off to his fawning audience how much stuff he has, is part of a culture where conspicuous consumption is threatening to overwhelm musical values.

Well again, I see enough of that on GMG. And I would argue that the only people who might have a reasonable need for having so many copies of the same music are professional reviewers.

By the way I said that certain actions were stupid, not you personally.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Florestan

Quote from: Madiel on October 14, 2023, 05:32:59 PMWell again, I see enough of that on GMG.

Indeed, it's one of the GMG trademarks. And it's not even a bad thing in itself. If one deeply loves a piece of music or a composer, it's not uncommon, nor unnatural, to own multiple versions of the same work.

QuoteAnd I would argue that the only people who might have a reasonable need for having so many copies of the same music are professional reviewers.

Plus, there is a high probability that Hurwitz, as a professional reviewer of high profile, received many of those copies for free.

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Florestan

Quote from: Madiel on October 14, 2023, 12:49:51 PMin GMG where there are people who would own more copies of a work than Hurwitz does.

;D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Madiel

Quote from: Florestan on October 15, 2023, 12:14:33 AMPlus, there is a high probability that Hurwitz, as a professional reviewer of high profile, received many of those copies for free.

Yes. I half-thought of adding that point but didn't, thanks for mentioning it.

DavidW

Quote from: Spotted Horses on October 14, 2023, 08:26:22 AMOk, only 51 million YouTube channels that I take no interest in.

Sometimes I'm shocked by how incredibly deep and wide YT content is.  There are millions of uploads every day.  Last night when I was looking up reviews for a movie I just watched I accidentally stumbled upon a corner that I've never seen before.

71 dB

Thanks for the suggestion! I watched the 80 minutes Elgar video.  :D

Madiel

Quote from: DavidW on October 15, 2023, 02:04:07 PMBut the difference is that Steve is highly unlikely to pan a book without considering what the author's motivations were.

I don't really get how there's an equivalent when reviewing music performances, not compositions.

EDIT: And if this has anything to do with HIP, I will start showing you all of the places where this is as inaccurate as your memory of Herreweghe reviews.

Florestan

I think that, if each and every GMG member vowed not to make one single purchase anymore until they will have listened to all recordings they own and have not listened to yet, the sales of classical music recordings would plummet catastrophically and not rise again for a few long years.  ;D