David Hurwitz

Started by Scion7, January 11, 2016, 06:42:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: Herman on July 15, 2020, 09:46:17 AM
How deep you find his knowledge kind of depends on your own knowledge.

As others have noted, he says a lot of ignorant things.

Yeah, I don't subscribe to the Hurwitz fan club and never have liked him since I started to seriously dive into this music. His opinion isn't any more viable or important than my own. It's pretty sickening the amount of people that kiss his ass and shower him with superlatives. The man has done NOTHING. He's just a man with an opinion.

Karl Henning

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on July 15, 2020, 09:59:54 AM
Great review, Karl! Well done.
And look at you cleverly grabbing clicks from a thread dedicated to hating on Hurwitz. But be careful, become too controversial and we might start a new thread about you  8)

Damn it, I knew the risks!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 15, 2020, 10:06:13 AM
Damn it, I knew the risks!

And Karl, your review, on the other hand, was informative and actually was enjoyable to read even if I'm not particularly interested in the repertoire that you were reviewing.

Florestan

Quote from: Herman on July 15, 2020, 09:46:17 AM
How deep you find his knowledge kind of depends on your own knowledge.

As others have noted, he says a lot of ignorant things.

There is a Zen story which applies exactly to you and the Hurwitzer.

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 15, 2020, 10:05:42 AM
It's pretty sickening the amount of people that kiss his ass and shower him with superlatives. The man has done NOTHING. He's just a man with an opinion.

John, you seem outraged. It's alright to not like him or his criticism, but don't let it get to you too much.  :)

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: kyjo on July 15, 2020, 09:02:45 AM
+1 Regardless of whether or not I agree with his opinions, I find his videos enormously entertaining (I legitimately laugh out loud quite frequently during them) and his enthusiasm for music is so infectious. Not to mention he has so much knowledge of and enthusiasm for both the standard repertoire and lesser-known music (mainly orchestral, that is, but understandable since he's a percussionist). :)

Yeah, he never forgets to mention the tam-tam, if there's a part for it.

Otherwise - he's just a guy who's listened to a ton of recordings, has his own prejudices and blind spots, and is fairly upfront about them. As such, he's as useful or not as most critics.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

ritter

I am one of those who enjoy the Hurwitz videos. Many times I don't agree with what he says, other times I don't give a damn about what he says (in the sense that I won't watch a video on a piece/composer/artist/recording I have no interest in), but other times there is informative stuff in his speeches, and they tend to be entertaining (bad jokes and all).

The man has gained some points with me recently, though  ;): I listened to the Pfitzner Piano Concerto once (some 25 years ago), and the thought of it still gives me shivers. One of the ugliest pieces of music by a (kinda) major composer I've ever encountered.   ::)

Brian

Quote from: Christo on July 15, 2020, 04:39:47 AM
I'm one who actually loves the Hurwitzer's videos on Youtube very much & all criticism of it leaves me cold.  :)
I enjoy them. I don't watch regularly, but Monday listened to his Elgar and Zubin Mehta videos and a couple others while cleaning the bathroom. They're fun, and some of the people here are taking them waaaay too seriously. :)

Brian

The man has done NOTHING.
He's a former orchestral musician who arranged American premieres of a number of big European works like George Lloyd symphonies.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on July 15, 2020, 10:39:28 AM
He's a former orchestral musician who arranged American premieres of a number of big European works like George Lloyd symphonies.

And, yet, I still stand by my initial comment.

Archaic Torso of Apollo

It's pretty sickening the amount of people that kiss his ass and shower him with superlatives.

Who, for instance?

He's also written some guidebooks to some big-name composers (Mahler and Haydn, maybe others). You can like these books or not, but I think they count as "something."
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Todd

Quote from: Brian on July 15, 2020, 10:37:34 AMThey're fun, and some of the people here are taking them waaaay too seriously.

This.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on July 15, 2020, 10:11:04 AM
John, you seem outraged. It's alright to not like him or his criticism, but don't let it get to you too much.  :)

I'm not outraged just more puzzled that people put so much stock into his opinion.

ritter

I don't really think people put much stock in his opinions, they're simply entertained by him (that's my case, at least).

Good day, John!

Mirror Image

Quote from: ritter on July 15, 2020, 11:38:31 AM
I don't really think people put much stock in his opinions, they're simply entertained by him (that's my case, at least).

Good day, John!

I sure hope that's the case. G'day to you as well, Rafael. 8)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on July 15, 2020, 10:44:47 AM

He's also written some guidebooks to some big-name composers (Mahler and Haydn, maybe others). You can like these books or not, but I think they count as "something."

Indeed.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

kyjo

Well, he's certainly got my respect for that! :)

And yeah, a lot of folks here are taking him wayyyy too seriously. Music is, of course, so subjective and we can't get offended whenever someone has a different opinion of it than we do. Yes, he has strong opinions, but he nowhere does he state (to my knowledge) that his opinion is the last word or that it's above anyone else's. He's simply another music lover sharing his thoughts.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Karl Henning

Quote from: Old San Antone on July 15, 2020, 04:11:28 PM
I don't follow his blog, nor do I place any importance on his reviews.  But, he is an ass.   :laugh:

Word.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mirror Image

Quote from: Old San Antone on July 15, 2020, 04:11:28 PM
I don't follow his blog, nor do I place any importance on his reviews.  But, he is an ass.   :laugh:

Absolutely. ;D

kyjo

Quote from: ritter on July 15, 2020, 10:32:30 AM
The man has gained some points with me recently, though  ;): I listened to the Pfitzner Piano Concerto once (some 25 years ago), and the thought of it still gives me shivers. One of the ugliest pieces of music by a (kinda) major composer I've ever encountered.   ::)

Did you listen past the first movement? ;) It's definitely the weakest of the four; the remaining three are much stronger IMO, especially the middle two. The boisterous scherzo is really catchy and the intimate slow movement quite lovely.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff