David Hurwitz

Started by Scion7, January 11, 2016, 06:42:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: kyjo on July 15, 2020, 05:39:32 PM
Did you listen past the first movement? ;) It's definitely the weakest of the four; the remaining three are much stronger IMO, especially the middle two. The boisterous scherzo is really catchy and the intimate slow movement quite lovely.

Rafael's tastes are very different to ours, so I don't have high expectations he is going to change his mind about the Pfitzner.  ;)
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

Quote from: MusicTurner on July 15, 2020, 05:07:44 AM
   Concerning the Pettersson video review, there was a serious flaw though. The entertaining impromptu style, with only some key points apparently having been rehearsed, also meant that he disclosed himself not knowing how many symphonies P had composed; he suddenly guessed about maybe '11-12', when the reality is 16, plus an unfinished one, plus a symphonic movement.

If you are to review a composer of a bunch of major symphonies, including characterizing the composer and recommending symphonies ahead of the others, you at least have to know how many that were composed, & something about the later ones ... This was just disappointing.
Yes. I agree. That's a fair point. It hardly takes complex research skills to work out how many symphonies Pettersson composed!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

ritter

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on July 15, 2020, 07:34:14 PM
Rafael's tastes are very different to ours, so I don't have high expectations he is going to change his mind about the Pfitzner.  ;)
I think you are right, Cesar:D

Irons

I have watched a couple. The Elgar 2 is OK even if I didn't agree with his assessment of Barbirolli. I enjoyed the one on the Beethoven piano concertos but his talk on Holst band music is so boring I gave up.

Something very similar but with a different style of delivery   https://youtu.be/z-okey4m_gA
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Todd

What is it with late middle-aged white dudes and messy stacks of CDs?  Late middle-aged white dudes have heard of downloads and ripping, yes?
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Biffo

Quote from: Todd on July 17, 2020, 07:16:03 AM
What is it with late middle-aged white dudes and messy stacks of CDs?  Late middle-aged white dudes have heard of downloads and ripping, yes?

Yes, and this one has also heard of streaming. I download and stream. Ripping is a waste of time as far as I am concerned. Perhaps I am just a natural hoarder and can't bear to part with LPs, CDs etc.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on July 17, 2020, 07:00:12 AM
I have watched a couple. The Elgar 2 is OK even if I didn't agree with his assessment of Barbirolli. I enjoyed the one on the Beethoven piano concertos but his talk on Holst band music is so boring I gave up.

Something very similar but with a different style of delivery   https://youtu.be/z-okey4m_gA
Cool!  I didn't know that he was doing online video reviews!  Listened to part of it.  Loved it when he talked about playing some Bartok for some kids who came in there want some pop music, but left with the Bartok and his subsequent comment about that!   ;D

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

I was just thinking (and was going to add onto my posting) that I'm dying to see what goodies he has in there...CDs, books...and, yes, maybe downloads too?   :D

Wondering what record labels are doing these days in terms of sending out promos?  I'd imagine that there would be a way to allow certain people to download a copy for free in order to review it?  Also, it would save on postage!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Florestan

This thread should be renamed "Anyone whom I disagree with is an ass...."

Or better still "Anyone whom I disagree with and I can't simply ignore is an ass...."
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

vandermolen

Speaking for myself I much prefer hard copy CDs.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on July 17, 2020, 12:53:56 PM
Jeffrey,

Is there a way which you could get a free download should you wish to review something for a record company?  Do they give you that option?

PD

p.s.  Just saw friend today (the one good at building things) and mentioned again about shelving.  Lumber prices have apparently gone up as well as scarcity too for the time being, but I'd like to price some things out.  Have you had to have extra CD/LP shelving built for your home?
Pohjolas Daughter

Brian

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 17, 2020, 12:40:02 PM
Wondering what record labels are doing these days in terms of sending out promos?  I'd imagine that there would be a way to allow certain people to download a copy for free in order to review it?  Also, it would save on postage!

PD
As a former amateur critic - Naxos has switched to all online promo copies for labels it distributes. Critics get 8 full album downloads per month and they can request more after 8, or specially request a physical copy. BIS also allows critics to download high res files, using a payment box which is endearingly called "Free for testing purposes."

Hurwitz has occasionally mentioned in reviews when he purchased his copy, usually of an import from Italy or Japan which isn't sold in the US.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on July 17, 2020, 12:53:56 PM

+ 1

I still love the CD medium and I don't really see this changing.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Florestan on July 17, 2020, 12:45:43 PM
This thread should be renamed "Anyone whom I disagree with is an ass...."

Or better still "Anyone whom I disagree with and I can't simply ignore is an ass...."

Well I don't seek Herb-wits out for entertainment, but I don't believe that anyone here who finds him entertaining, is an ass . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Madiel

Videos. Visual. Try holding a download or stream in your hand. Of course CDs are a better visual.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Brian on July 17, 2020, 02:26:15 PM
As a former amateur critic - Naxos has switched to all online promo copies for labels it distributes. Critics get 8 full album downloads per month and they can request more after 8, or specially request a physical copy. BIS also allows critics to download high res files, using a payment box which is endearingly called "Free for testing purposes."

Hurwitz has occasionally mentioned in reviews when he purchased his copy, usually of an import from Italy or Japan which isn't sold in the US.
Thanks for the info Brian; I had suspected that.  Hope that they still keep manufacturing CDs for quite a while longer, but it's not looking good.

Best wishes,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Todd

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 17, 2020, 02:44:01 PM
Thanks for the info Brian; I had suspected that.  Hope that they still keep manufacturing CDs for quite a while longer, but it's not looking good.

Best wishes,

PD

People have been predicting the demise of physical media since Napster hit the scene.  I have been promised a paperless office for even longer.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Todd on July 17, 2020, 02:49:01 PM

People have been predicting the demise of physical media since Napster hit the scene.  I have been promised a paperless office for even longer.
lol  We'll see...of course now vinyl is taking off (again)!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Wanderer

Quote from: Old San Antone on July 15, 2020, 04:11:28 PM
I don't follow his blog, nor do I place any importance on his reviews.

Likewise. Also, I prefer reading and I find the concept of the "video review" of CD's a spectacularly dim idea, especially if it's just talking and not e.g. playing and commenting on musical examples, in which case the video format would indeed add some actual value instead of just being a waste of time.

knight66

Quote from: Wanderer on July 17, 2020, 10:04:37 PM
Likewise. Also, I prefer reading and I find the concept of the "video review" of CD's a spectacularly dim idea, especially if it's just talking and not e.g. playing and commenting on musical examples, in which case the video format would indeed add some actual value instead of just being a waste of time.

Same here, I watched several and was puzzled at the format. I prefer to read reviews than watch some guy in his den spout. I think he falls into the space we often identify here, which is: If I don't like it, it must be crap. His criticism seems as much about ego and the fun of the put down as knowledge. I read his review of Barbirolli's Mahler 9th last night, he so relishes trashing certain conductors, it's a kind of dishonesty really.

Reading through thIs thread, I learned of his views on lieder. What a tosser. He doesn't get it, doesn't like it, so it must be crap.

Of course, when he does agree with my views, I think he is OK.

Mike

DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.