David Hurwitz

Started by Scion7, January 11, 2016, 06:42:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roasted Swan

Quote from: knight66 on July 17, 2020, 10:56:52 PM
Same here, I watched several and was puzzled at the format. I prefer to read reviews than watch some guy in his den spout. I think he falls into the space we often identify here, which is: If I don't like it, it must be crap. His criticism seems as much about ego and the fun of the put down as knowledge. I read his review of Barbirolli's Mahler 9th last night, he so relishes trashing certain conductors, it's a kind of dishonesty really.

Reading through thIs thread, I learned of his views on lieder. What a tosser. He doesn't get it, doesn't like it, so it must be crap.

Of course, when he does agree with my views, I think he is OK.

Mike

Mike - I completely agree with your view - so you must be right (joke!  :))

knight66

Quote from: Roasted Swan on July 17, 2020, 11:22:07 PM
Mike - I completely agree with your view - so you must be right (joke!  :))

That makes us both right, which is just so satisfying.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Daverz

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 17, 2020, 02:38:29 PM
Well I don't seek Herb-wits out for entertainment, but I don't believe that anyone here who finds him entertaining, is an ass . . . .

Masterful ;)

I enjoy Hurwitz's videos for the most part.  But it has to be admitted that he often purposely expresses himself in a way meant to be annoying or even boorish.   Who can forget "Kathleen Ferrier: England's Greatest Contralto, or Fruit Basket?"

https://www.classicstoday.com/kathleen-ferrier-englands-greatest-contralto-or-fruit-basket/

Herman

Same here, I watched several and was puzzled at the format. I prefer to read reviews than watch some guy in his den spout.

There's also the thing that these youtubes run up to 25 minutes if I recall. Compared to reading a Classics Today review in a couple minutes, that's just a massive waste of time, which you'll never get back, especially if it's just watching a guy laugh at his own jokes.

Jo498

The review videos are not quite that long (but too long already), the longest ones are usually the "repertoire" when he goes through a lot of different recordings. Some of them I found interesting enough. I also like the idea of the "prequels/sequels" of somewhat less famous to more famous works. IIRC the BBC music magazine did have a similar series in the 1990s (the only time I somewhat regularly read it was in the mid-1990s), titled somewhat differently, something like "What to listen to after X?"
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

knight66

Quote from: Herman on July 18, 2020, 01:40:45 AM
There's also the thing that these youtubes run up to 25 minutes if I recall. Compared to reading a Classics Today review in a couple minutes, that's just a massive waste of time, which you'll never get back, especially if it's just watching a guy laugh at his own jokes.

Yes, of course it could be used like radio and You do something else while keeping an ear open. Looking at him is no aesthetic pleasure. But really, listening to him does me no good either.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Wanderer on July 17, 2020, 10:04:37 PM
Likewise. Also, I prefer reading and I find the concept of the "video review" of CD's a spectacularly dim idea, especially if it's just talking and not e.g. playing and commenting on musical examples, in which case the video format would indeed add some actual value instead of just being a waste of time.

It takes nothing away from your point, to appreciate the oxymoron "spectacularly dim" 8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Brian

Quote from: Wanderer on July 17, 2020, 10:04:37 PM
Likewise. Also, I prefer reading and I find the concept of the "video review" of CD's a spectacularly dim idea, especially if it's just talking and not e.g. playing and commenting on musical examples,
In the Elgar video he inserts musical examples played over a freeze-frame of his face. I think I saw a bit of score once, but generally I listen while cleaning house, effectively turning the videos into podcasts. Maybe he should consider podcasts.

Pohjolas Daughter

Of course, when he does agree with my views, I think he is OK.

Mike
Isn't it funny how that works?  ;) ;D

Best,

PD

p.s.  I did quite enjoy what I watched of Rob Cowan's review...the one that Irons had posted a link to earlier.  I have enjoyed reading his reviews in the past and liked how (on YT) he played some samples illustrating his comments too.
Pohjolas Daughter

Mahlerian

I watched his video on the Reger and Pfitzner concertos. I don't particularly like the Reger and don't think I've ever listened to the Pfitzner, though I haven't liked any of the music I've heard by him, but Hurwitz's argument against Reger's use of sonata form struck me as bizarre. If he doesn't think the harmonic language of the concerto is based on tonal conflict and resolution, what does he think it's based on?

(Also, isn't it past time to retire the idea that "sonata form" movements that aren't based on tonality are somehow flawed, after a century of successful examples, starting from La mer at the earliest?)
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

Daverz

I like Pfitzner's Palestrina (Kubelik recording), with the caveat that "like" here means that I ignore the plot and just wallow in the orchestration.  I'm also very fond of his Symphony in C Major, Op. 46.

[asin] B008P76VBW[/asin]

TheGSMoeller

aukhawk

Quote from: Todd on July 17, 2020, 07:16:03 AM
What is it with late middle-aged white dudes and messy stacks of CDs?  Late middle-aged white dudes have heard of downloads and ripping, yes?

You do realise he's just sitting in front of a green backdrop and all that shelving is just a stock photo taken in some junk shop.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on July 19, 2020, 07:29:50 AM
Let's be fair and allow David to speak for himself...

https://www.youtube.com/v/c_f6fkrSfqg&t=149s
Quite interesting to watch that.  Thank you for posting it!  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Mirror Image

Brian

Just watched his good, fun "big box sets we need" video and four of the 11 were already on my list of future box sets I'd have to buy (Ormandy/Columbia, Slatkin/RCA, Markevitch/DG, complete Orpheus Chamber Orchestra). Added a couple more to my list. Killing my hypothetical future budget, Dave!

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Brian on July 23, 2020, 02:16:56 PM
Just watched his good, fun "big box sets we need" video and four of the 11 were already on my list of future box sets I'd have to buy (Ormandy/Columbia, Slatkin/RCA, Markevitch/DG, complete Orpheus Chamber Orchestra). Added a couple more to my list. Killing my hypothetical future budget, Dave!
Dave,

Between this site and youtube, it's like being with Jason sailing on the seas and hearing the sirens calling!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 24, 2020, 03:15:28 AM
Dave,

Between this site and youtube, it's like being with Jason sailing on the seas and hearing the sirens calling!

PD

Verily.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Irons

Not an ass by any means. His grasp on the recordings of Moeran's symphony and the work itself is impressive. He even mentioned the Dilkes recording which in my view the best and not available on CD I believe.

https://youtu.be/wJymxkTi8Vc
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

André

Quote from: Irons on July 28, 2020, 05:41:03 AM
Not an ass by any means. His grasp on the recordings of Moeran's symphony and the work itself is impressive. He even mentioned the Dilkes recording which in my view the best and not available on CD I believe.

https://youtu.be/wJymxkTi8Vc

The Dilkes recording is available on CD, as a used item on the market place. It's my favourite version of the work. I know it through Jeffrey's advocacy  ;).