David Hurwitz

Started by Scion7, January 11, 2016, 06:42:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

I also like how coronavirus is making Hurwitz a little crazy. During the mostly glowing "big box" review of the Academy of St Martin-in-the-Fields megabox, he takes a break to observe his cat playing with a toy, and then there's this amusing exchange in the comment section:

Viewer: "This is waaaaaay too much music for me, though even at $160, this is a good deal for the sheer quantity."
Dave: "Oh, come on! What else have you got to do?"

vandermolen

Quote from: Brian on August 06, 2020, 07:20:25 AM
I also like how coronavirus is making Hurwitz a little crazy. During the mostly glowing "big box" review of the Academy of St Martin-in-the-Fields megabox, he takes a break to observe his cat playing with a toy, and then there's this amusing exchange in the comment section:

Viewer: "This is waaaaaay too much music for me, though even at $160, this is a good deal for the sheer quantity."
Dave: "Oh, come on! What else have you got to do?"

Nice!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Enjoyed the Hurwitz Frank Bridge and not too long which is a plus. Laughed out loud at his comments on English music and indeed England itself. As always an element of truth adds to the humour. Hurwitz does know his stuff over a vast repertoire and recordings. I am particularly impressed at his fulsome praise for Sir Charles Groves but less so at failing to mention the profound effect that WW1 had on Bridge's musical style.

https://youtu.be/2z-j1v64e8Q
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Madiel

Quote from: Irons on August 09, 2020, 02:19:10 AM
Enjoyed the Hurwitz Frank Bridge and not too long which is a plus. Laughed out loud at his comments on English music and indeed England itself. As always an element of truth adds to the humour. Hurwitz does know his stuff over a vast repertoire and recordings. I am particularly impressed at his fulsome praise for Sir Charles Groves but less so at failing to mention the profound effect that WW1 had on Bridge's musical style.

Pity it's only about a handful of orchestral works (though his choices make a lot of sense). I think Bridge's best stuff is in chamber music. But he does seem to have a handle on the music he's talking about.

Also... it's a bit creepy when the music is playing.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Todd

Eloquence seems to think David Hurwitz's reviews are worthwhile enough to cite in an email blast.

GMG gripers gonna gripe, though.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Irons

Quote from: Madiel on August 09, 2020, 04:44:09 AM
Pity it's only about a handful of orchestral works (though his choices make a lot of sense). I think Bridge's best stuff is in chamber music. But he does seem to have a handle on the music he's talking about.

Also... it's a bit creepy when the music is playing.

It is. Does he freeze the frame or go very still? His knowledge is impressive but lets face it he ain't no oil painting! Why not fill the screen with the booklet cover of music being played. Anything other then him.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Brian

He freeze frames it, yeah. It's a little unnerving. It's already weird that he stares straight at me when I might be watching the video while, say, using the john  ??? .

MishaK

I've been enjoying his youtube channel immensely. He comes off so much more humorous and thoughtful in video than he does in his writing. (Though his obsession with tam tams persists.)

André

Quote from: MishaK on September 07, 2020, 03:18:43 PM
I've been enjoying his youtube channel immensely. He comes off so much more humorous and thoughtful in video than he does in his writing. (Though his obsession with tam tams persists.)

Coincidentally, I just read a review of his (Gerhard Schjelderup on CPO) and as I read I tried to hear his voice and speech manner in my head. It actually made much more sense that way ! He really gains from being heard, despite his mannerisms.

MishaK

Quote from: André on September 07, 2020, 04:05:15 PM
Coincidentally, I just read a review of his (Gerhard Schjelderup on CPO) and as I read I tried to hear his voice and speech manner in my head. It actually made much more sense that way ! He really gains from being heard, despite his mannerisms.

Yes, I agree. His writings take on a different tone when you know what he actually sounds like in speech. And it's easier to appreciate the sort of wink in the eye when he seemingly completely trashes a recording.

Jo498

I think the voice and mannerisms are often grating but it adds a (intended or unintended) humourous dimension that is lacking in writing. The recent video on Hindemith's Weber Metamorphoses is very nice because Hurwitz dug out the obscure piano 4-hand pieces by Weber that served as material but that hardly anybody has ever heard before.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Daverz

Quote from: Jo498 on September 07, 2020, 11:20:57 PM
I think the voice and mannerisms are often grating but it adds a (intended or unintended) humourous dimension that is lacking in writing. The recent video on Hindemith's Weber Metamorphoses is very nice because Hurwitz dug out the obscure piano 4-hand pieces by Weber that served as material but that hardly anybody has ever heard before.

He also has a video on the works by Domenico Gallo that Stravinsky's Pulcinella is based on.  Very fun to listen to these works having known and loved the Stravinsky for decades.

https://www.youtube.com/v/qXioT4afCrs

Scion7

Quote from: MishaK on September 07, 2020, 09:15:07 PMYes, I agree. His writings take on a different tone when you know what he actually sounds like in speech. And it's easier to appreciate the sort of wink in the eye when he seemingly completely trashes a recording.

On the other hand, a few days in the stocks at Thame wouldn't do him any harm ...

When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on August 09, 2020, 02:19:10 AM

I just watched the Bridge video as a displacement activity from getting on with my school work preparation  ;D.
Thank you Lol for alerting me to it. It was very enjoyable indeed and he is right about Sir Charles Groves who, IMO, conducted the best 'Morning Heroes' (Bliss) on disc (although everyone raves about Andrew Davis) and Bliss's 'A Colour Symphony'. amongst much else. I have the large Groves box which includes the marvellous Bridge tone poems. Hurwitz is also right about how good James Judd's 'Jeremiah Symphony' (Bernstein) is. His comments on England and English music are very funny including the way in which Bridge transformed from an 'uninteresting, late-romantic, pale, English, quasi-pastoral' composer (a representative of the 'Old Boy's Club') to a 'gnarly modernist'. Good to hear him still droning on about Elgar's 'March of the Moghul Emperors' as well. Highly entertaining and informative. I'd have liked to hear him say a bit more about 'Oration'.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on September 08, 2020, 01:48:31 AM
I just watched the Bridge video as a displacement activity from getting on with my school work preparation  ;D.
Thank you Lol for alerting me to it. It was very enjoyable indeed and he is right about Sir Charles Groves who, IMO, conducted the best 'Morning Heroes' (Bliss) on disc (although everyone raves about Andrew Davis) and Bliss's 'A Colour Symphony'. amongst much else. I have the large Groves box which includes the marvellous Bridge tone poems. Hurwitz is also right about how good James Judd's 'Jeremiah Symphony' (Bernstein) is. His comments on England and English music are very funny including the way in which Bridge transformed from an 'uninteresting, late-romantic, pale, English, quasi-pastoral' composer (a representative of the 'Old Boy's Club') to a 'gnarly modernist'. Good to hear him still droning on about Elgar's 'March of the Moghul Emperors' as well. Highly entertaining and informative. I'd liked to hear him say a bit more about 'Oration'.

I know your expertise is channelled to older students Jeffrey, but driving past our village infants school this morning I got an unexpected buzz seeing for the first time for too long kiddies in their uniforms being taken to school by their parents. It felt like a small victory and a big step forward.

Pleased, as I did, you enjoyed the Bridge video. He only scratched the surface of a deep and interesting composer but we are all guilty of that, at least I am! As an American, I thought his judgements were sound and true, more so then many British commentators I think. As I commented he missed out on the WW1 influence on Bridge's music and indeed 'Oration' is a crucial part of that.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on September 08, 2020, 06:53:42 AM
I know your expertise is channelled to older students Jeffrey, but driving past our village infants school this morning I got an unexpected buzz seeing for the first time for too long kiddies in their uniforms being taken to school by their parents. It felt like a small victory and a big step forward.

Pleased, as I did, you enjoyed the Bridge video. He only scratched the surface of a deep and interesting composer but we are all guilty of that, at least I am! As an American, I thought his judgements were sound and true, more so then many British commentators I think. As I commented he missed out on the WW1 influence on Bridge's music and indeed 'Oration' is a crucial part of that.
It must have been touching to see the children returning to school Lol - a bit of normality restored. Last week I had to teach a Year 8 class while (unsuccessfully) attempting to include a pupil isolating at home via video-link with a background notice of continuous drilling going on from the building site outside the windows (which have to be kept open for ventilation purposes). Other than that the lesson went well!  >:D
Yes, it would be good to hear David Hurwitz's views on some of Bridge's chamber music such as the excellent Piano Quintet. I find him a most interesting composer.

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on September 08, 2020, 10:09:08 PM
It must have been touching to see the children returning to school Lol - a bit of normality restored. Last week I had to teach a Year 8 class while (unsuccessfully) attempting to include a pupil isolating at home via video-link with a background notice of continuous drilling going on from the building site outside the windows (which have to be kept open for ventilation purposes). Other than that the lesson went well!  >:D
Yes, it would be good to hear David Hurwitz's views on some of Bridge's chamber music such as the excellent Piano Quintet. I find him a most interesting composer.

The only way I can approach Bridge is as two composers, Jeffrey. The one of "Summer" and the other of the 4th Quartet. I picked up a recording of the Piano Quintet just recently.

Hope for your sake the building work is finished soon as we are in for an "Indian" summer I have read. Thinking of rolling out the barbecue for weekend. 8)

Irons

Fair play to Hurwitz he has the power to surprise. His video talk on complete Nielsen cycles went pretty much as expected with the usual suspects achieving the Hurwitz seal of approval.

Moving on to single symphony recommendations I listened to his survey of the Nielsen "Inextinguishable". Well I never! Didn't see that one coming!!

https://youtu.be/6urJd0hEssc

Daverz

Quote from: Irons on September 10, 2020, 08:30:12 AM
Fair play to Hurwitz he has the power to surprise. His video talk on complete Nielsen cycles went pretty much as expected with the usual suspects achieving the Hurwitz seal of approval.

Moving on to single symphony recommendations I listened to his survey of the Nielsen "Inextinguishable". Well I never! Didn't see that one coming!!

https://youtu.be/6urJd0hEssc

Have to admit that I discounted the later Gibson recordings on Chandos, but this is a cheap download on chandos.net.

https://www.chandos.net/products/catalogue/CHAN%206524

Irons

Quote from: Daverz on September 10, 2020, 12:16:10 PM
Have to admit that I discounted the later Gibson recordings on Chandos, but this is a cheap download on chandos.net.

https://www.chandos.net/products/catalogue/CHAN%206524

Unsuccessfully searched for CD but located a LP on RCA which I have ordered. Be interesting to see if as good Hurwitz says it is.