David Hurwitz

Started by Scion7, January 11, 2016, 06:42:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daverz

Quote from: Irons on September 10, 2020, 01:08:32 PM
Unsuccessfully searched for CD but located a LP on RCA which I have ordered. Be interesting to see if as good Hurwitz says it is.

Chandos will burn CDRs:

Available only as a playable CDR
Add this CDR to your basket and we'll burn the complete album in your basket to a CDR disc and send it you.
This is limited to single complete albums under 76 minutes only.
Can be played on any normal CD player, home, car or computer.
Please note: This is not an original CD manufactured by the label. Booklets and inlays are not included but can be downloaded from the media section (where available).

Irons

Quote from: Daverz on September 10, 2020, 02:45:20 PM
Chandos will burn CDRs:

Available only as a playable CDR
Add this CDR to your basket and we'll burn the complete album in your basket to a CDR disc and send it you.
This is limited to single complete albums under 76 minutes only.
Can be played on any normal CD player, home, car or computer.
Please note: This is not an original CD manufactured by the label. Booklets and inlays are not included but can be downloaded from the media section (where available).

As far as recordings go I live in the dark age with the LP being my favoured mode of music carrier. I did sample Gibson's Nielsen 4 from the link you posted. If vinyl had not been available I may well have followed your suggestion and that would have been a first!
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Florestan

You're gonna love this, guys. The discussion is about Mozart's String Quintets.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Scion7

Typical. Whenever he puts something down, it's best to check out the recording, chop-chop, because it is probably smashing.
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Pohjolas Daughter

Looks like he had a change of mind?  Perhaps newer ones have edged them out?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Madiel

Shock, horror. Different opinions 16 years apart.

Also, given that old Classics Today reviews didn't have names attached, was the old one definitely him?
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Brian

I watched his enthusiastic recommendation of Anton Reicha fugues yesterday and was fascinated by the musical examples which he played and which I streamed afterwards. Reicha's big thing was that you could write a fugue any way you want, on any theme you want, with the voices in any key you want, as long as the result sounds good.

Well, this morning I had a dream about it  ;D and dream composed a fugue on "Gnomus" from Pictures at an Exhibition. It sounds pretty gnarly but it works?! and cracks me up  ;D

Florestan

Quote from: Madiel on October 08, 2020, 06:09:11 AM
Shock, horror. Different opinions 16 years apart.

Also, given that old Classics Today reviews didn't have names attached, was the old one definitely him?

It was.

https://www.classicstoday.com/review/review-10314/

Anyway, this volte face reminded me of our dear John (Mirror Image).  :D

vandermolen

Quote from: Daverz on September 10, 2020, 12:16:10 PM
Have to admit that I discounted the later Gibson recordings on Chandos, but this is a cheap download on chandos.net.

https://www.chandos.net/products/catalogue/CHAN%206524
I liked Gibson's Nielsen and Sibelius recordings very much as well as his underrated VW Symphony No.5 and Walton Symphony No.1
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Jo498

I think one should also keep in mind that classical chamber music is not exactly Hurwitz' forte so he probably bothers only for specific reviews to check or double check. This can be both an explanation for changes of mind and for automatically mentioning some standard rec without really remembering it well.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Florestan

Don't get me wrong, guys: the more I watch his videos, the more I like him. It's just that that memory slip was too funny to let it go unnoticed.  :D

Brian

The beginning of this one is really ... unforgettable.  ;D ;D ;D

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Brian on October 09, 2020, 10:15:08 AM
:laugh: Thank you for posting that Brian.  I had a good laugh (much needed these days).  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Brian on October 09, 2020, 10:15:08 AM

Almost as funny is when he hits the tam-tam.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

Florestan

I really, really, really love this guy. He sings the praises of Boccherini and Mendelssohn, he takes Handel over Bach, Dvorak over Brahms*, )Mahler over Bruckner and --- quite unexpectedly for me --- loves Chopin. He has a great sense of humor and an uncanny physical resemblance to one of my favorite Romanian writers (who happens to be Jewish too --- albeit a convert to Orthodox Christianity). Truly a man after my own heart. Way to go, Dave!

* when it comes to symphonies, Dvorak wins hands down in my book --- also he was a much better tunesmith than Brahms

ritter

...but he doesn't understand Boulez!   >:( ::)

I suppose you'd say "and he doesn't like Boulez" as a plus, Andrei;D

Good day to you, Sir.

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on October 10, 2020, 08:26:18 AM
...but he doesn't understand Boulez!   >:( ::)

I suppose you'd say "and he doesn't like Boulez" as a plus, Andrei;D

You bet!

Good day to you, Sir.

Muy buenas tardes,  señor don Rafael!

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Florestan on October 10, 2020, 08:13:45 AM
I really, really, really love this guy. He sings the praises of Boccherini and Mendelssohn, he takes Handel over Bach, Dvorak over Brahms*, )Mahler over Bruckner and --- quite unexpectedly for me --- loves Chopin. He has a great sense of humor and an uncanny physical resemblance to one of my favorite Romanian writers (who happens to be Jewish too --- albeit a convert to Orthodox Christianity). Truly a man after my own heart. Way to go, Dave!

* when it comes to symphonies, Dvorak wins hands down in my book --- also he was a much better tunesmith than Brahms

Which proves that humour is an especailly personal thing as I find Hurwitz's "humour" of the worst kind of bar-room bore type.  All a little too pleased with themselves and laughing at their own wit and insight.  Literally about as unfunny as I can find anybody or anything......

Florestan

Quote from: Roasted Swan on October 10, 2020, 08:41:23 AM
Which proves that humour is an especailly personal thing as I find Hurwitz's "humour" of the worst kind of bar-room bore type.  All a little too pleased with themselves and laughing at their own wit and insight.  Literally about as unfunny as I can find anybody or anything......

Ain't the infinite diversity of human nature just marvelous? I mean, if everybody, everywhere, everytime would like exactly the same sort of things, humor included, the world would be such an unbearable bore...  :D

Christo

I find him always funny and good-humoured.
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948