David Hurwitz

Started by Scion7, January 11, 2016, 06:42:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daverz

Don't click below if you don't want spoilers.  Here a list of Dave's picks for the ideal Mozart Piano Concertos (for 1 piano):

https://bit.ly/3jWARnO

Florestan

Quote from: Daverz on October 14, 2020, 04:24:04 AM
Don't click below if you don't want spoilers.  Here a list of Dave's picks for the ideal Mozart Piano Concertos (for 1 piano):

I suppose this was meant as some kind of a joke.

Anyway, I like Hurwitz first and foremost because in an age of complete and total crelativism he has strong convictions and is not afraid of expressing them or making value judgments based on them.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Daverz

Quote from: Florestan on October 14, 2020, 04:40:09 AM
I suppose this was meant as some kind of a joke.

Anyway, I like Hurwitz first and foremost because in an age of complete and total crelativism he has strong convictions and is not afraid of expressing them or making value judgments based on them.

No, why do you think it was a joke?  I made the list from his video and thought I'd share it.  But since some feel that discovery is part of the videos, I didn't just paste it in.

Brian

Quote from: Daverz on October 14, 2020, 04:24:04 AM

He is doing that thing that some GMGers do in the Polling board, where he only picks each pianist for one single piece. That definitely makes something like the Mozart concertos darn near impossible (and certainly not ideal). But I guess it makes the videos a lot more interesting than if it was the same three people doing 9 concertos each or whatever.

Florestan

Quote from: Daverz on October 14, 2020, 08:58:10 AM
No, why do you think it was a joke? 

Because when I first clicked the link a few hours ago what I got was very different from what I get now. Too bad I didn't save that image. I'm puzzled.  ???

Daverz

Quote from: Brian on October 14, 2020, 08:59:28 AM
He is doing that thing that some GMGers do in the Polling board, where he only picks each pianist for one single piece. That definitely makes something like the Mozart concertos darn near impossible (and certainly not ideal). But I guess it makes the videos a lot more interesting than if it was the same three people doing 9 concertos each or whatever.

"Ideal" was not an ideal way of describing what he's trying to do, which is show the range of what's available for these works by not repeating soloist or conductor. 

Madiel

An even less appropriate adjective would be "practical". Or "cheap".
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Jo498

I don't find this strategy very plausible in the case of Mozart piano concerti as it might be with Brahms or Mahler symphonies. Even in these cases "ideal" is obviously not always compatible with the constraint to never repeat conductors/orchestras.
In the case of the Mozart it also shows that even with Distler's help Hurwitz is not in his "element" as he would be with Sibelius or Bruckner. (Which is only natural, one would have to be a real Mozart concerto nut to have and compare a dozen or more recordings of eg. KV 238 or 413, I feel that I am fairly close to being such a nut and have only about 3-4 recordings of such lesser known pieces). So the justifications for the particular choices are often pretty thin. And the practical aspect also speaks against it for the dozen less frequently recorded concerti. Sure, wit spotify and used discs one can probably find even #5 or #11 with Barenboim or Bilson without buying the respective complete box.

Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Florestan

Quote from: Florestan on October 14, 2020, 09:04:52 AM
Because when I first clicked the link a few hours ago what I got was very different from what I get now. Too bad I didn't save that image. I'm puzzled.  ???

I clicked the link right now and this is what I got, the same image I got before calling it some sort of joke.

I have no idea what was/is going on.

Brian

Quote from: Madiel on October 15, 2020, 12:58:51 AM
An even less appropriate adjective would be "practical". Or "cheap".
Oh stuff like that is purely for nerds who are bored during quarantine, not beginners going shopping. (Unless you count making a streaming playlist - then it makes sense.)

Madiel

Quote from: Brian on October 15, 2020, 04:58:37 AM
Oh stuff like that is purely for nerds who are bored during quarantine, not beginners going shopping. (Unless you count making a streaming playlist - then it makes sense.)

It's true that streaming makes it possible. Not that an old stick-in-the-mud like me considers that possibility, and I certainly don't get the impression that Mr Hurwitz is a streaming kind of guy. What on earth would he wave in front of the camera?
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Brian

Daverz

Here's the "ideal" Strauss tone poems list at pastebin again:

https://www.paste.org/111207

Daverz

Quote from: Florestan on October 15, 2020, 02:00:59 AM
I clicked the link right now and this is what I got, the same image I got before calling it some sort of joke.

I have no idea what was/is going on.

Maybe they think I'm a spammer? 

Florestan

Quote from: Daverz on October 15, 2020, 05:21:08 AM
Maybe they think I'm a spammer?

Beats me.

I was as puzzled as you when seeing that.

staxomega

Quote from: Daverz on October 15, 2020, 05:19:11 AM

Have you tried posting them in the comments of the video? I wonder if he would delete them.

I often see people make lists on Youtube and these usually have loads of likes putting them at the top of the page. One fitness/weight lifting guy I used to watch loved that monetization money and the sound of his own voice and would make these unnecessary 20+ minute videos for a few minutes worth of content. Someone would have a list of what he was talking about shortly after the video went up.

Brian

Quote from: hvbias on October 16, 2020, 04:58:00 AM
Have you tried posting them in the comments of the video? I wonder if he would delete them.
Putting the time stamps so that people can fast forward could be a compromise. ("Tod und Verklarung comes up at 18:15" or whatever)

(poco) Sforzando

Ooooh, I've gotta get that Ormandy Dance of the Seven Veils right now!
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

Wanderer

Aus Italien: Ashkenazy/Cleveland (brief mention of Muti/Berlin on
Philips or Decca)
Macbeth: Neeme Jarvi
Don Juan: Szell/Cleveland
Death and Tranfiguration: Dohnanyi/Vienna (or Karajan digital)
Til Eulenspiegel: Haitink/Concertgebouw
Also Sprach Zarathrustra: Karajan/Berlin/DG analog
Ein Heldenleben: Reiner/Chicago
Don Quixote: Tortelier/Kempe/Berlin (an earlier stereo recording than
the one with SKD)
Dance of the 7 Veils: Ormandy
Sinfonia Domestica: Maazel/DG
Ein Alpensonfie: Solti/Bavarian Radio
Metamorphosen: Suitner/SKD

5: Levin/Hogwood
6: Ashkenazy/Philharmonia (Decca)
8: Kempff/Leitner (DG)
9: Andsnes (Warner)
11: Bilson/Gardiner
12: Zacharias/Maksymiuk (Warner)
13: Perahia (Sony)
14: R. Serkin/Schneider (Sony)
15: Casadesus/Szell (Sony)
16: P. Serkin/Schneider (Sony)
17: Schiff/Vegh (Decca)
18: Anda (DG)
19: Haskil/Fricsay (DG, Decca)
20: Brendel/Mackerras (Decca)
21: Annie Fischer/Sawallish (EMI/Warner)
22: Buchbinder (Profil)
23: Moravec/Marriner (Hänssler)
24: Uchida/Tate (Decca)
25: Fleisher/Szell (Sony)
26: Vasary (DG)
27: Richard Goode/Orpheus Chamber Orchestra (Nonesuch)

Thank you.
Seriously, this is the type of post that the thread should be all about - and that clown's youtube page should have zero traffic coming from here. As it is, it feels more like a sickly vortex of obsession with an insufferable wannabe classical music Kardashian - where the medium and the narcissistic image becomes more important than the message (the obvious reason why, as mentioned above, a list of recordings is not included in each video's description).
Isn't there a feature in the forum's software to be able to exclude selected threads such as this from the "new posts" page?  :D

Florestan

Quote from: Wanderer on October 16, 2020, 09:11:16 AM
Thank you.
Seriously, this is the type of post that the thread should be all about - and that clown's youtube page should have zero traffic coming from here. As it is, it feels more like a sickly vortex of obsession with an insufferable wannabe classical music Kardashian - where the medium and the narcissistic image becomes more important than the message (the obvious reason why, as mentioned above, a list of recordings is not included in each video's description).
Isn't there a feature in the forum's software to be able to exclude selected threads such as this from the "new posts" page?  :D

Aren't you a bit too harsh, Tasos? After all, nobody (Hurwitz least of all) forces you to watch his videos, or to take them seriously. He has his opinions, convictions and biases, like we all do. For all his flaws, he genuinely loves music and he's fun (at least for me). I don't always agree with him but I think one could do much worse than watching his YT videos.