David Hurwitz

Started by Scion7, January 11, 2016, 06:42:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

Quote from: Herman on October 19, 2020, 12:26:38 AM
Disagree.

I could imagine just listening to music without worrying what this clown constantly laughing at his own old-man jokes says is a much better way to spend one's time.

Who says I worry?
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

aukhawk

Quote from: (poco) Sforzando on October 16, 2020, 08:00:29 AM
Ooooh, I've gotta get that Ormandy Dance of the Seven Veils right now!

That's an image that's not going to go away easily ...

Todd

Quote from: Florestan on October 19, 2020, 12:37:02 AM
Who says I worry?

Note that Hurwitz is younger than Herman.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Daverz

Quote from: (poco) Sforzando on October 16, 2020, 08:00:29 AM
Ooooh, I've gotta get that Ormandy Dance of the Seven Veils right now!

The best Dance of the Seven Veils was by Maria Ewing.

MN Dave

What do you watch on YouTube when you're not watching the Hurwitzer?
"The effect of music is so very much more powerful and penetrating than is that of the other arts, for these others speak only of the shadow, but music of the essence." — Arthur Schopenhauer

vandermolen

Quote from: Daverz on October 19, 2020, 12:46:58 PM
The best Dance of the Seven Veils was by Maria Ewing.

I met her as she was the mother of a girl that I once taught (the actress Rebecca Hall).
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

staxomega

Can anyone elaborate on Hurwitz's insistence that they used vibrato in baroque/early classical era? I have heard him mention it once maybe twice but I don't think I caught any elaboration why he thinks this other than some comment about academics being idiots. I do listen to these in the car and sometimes my screaming flat 6 does drown out his squeaking  0:). I've tried searching and came up with nothing.

It's fine to have opinions and if he personally likes vibrato in that era more power to him, but I'm more curious as his proclamation was stated as a fact.

Biffo

Quote from: hvbias on October 30, 2020, 07:07:59 AM
Can anyone elaborate on Hurwitz's insistence that they used vibrato in baroque/early classical era? I have heard him mention it once maybe twice but I don't think I caught any elaboration why he thinks this other than some comment about academics being idiots. I do listen to these in the car and sometimes my screaming flat 6 does drown out his squeaking  0:). I've tried searching and came up with nothing.

It's fine to have opinions and if he personally likes vibrato in that era more power to him, but I'm more curious as his proclamation was stated as a fact.

I am sure we have discussed this at length somewhere in this forum. From what I can remember vibrato was used in the periods you mentioned but very sparingly - it was a decoration, not something applied with a trowel.

Jo498

Hurwitz has at least two major obsessions. One is with percussion, especially tam tam because he played this in the orchestra. From the earliest days of classicstoday this one was obvious because his reviews were uncommonly detailed on percussion.
The second that was apparently triggered by Norrington's "anti-vibrato" stance is the history of vibrato. He actually got a publication on this into a real musicological journal (I think).
There are some more minor obsessions I had not been aware of before he started the video series, namely his dislike of most earlier/alternative versions of e.g. Bruckner symphonies (and Mahler 1st) and his even more exaggerated dislike of the musicologists who do such editions/reconstructions.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

André

Another pet peeve of his is the british musical establishment, especially their musical critics. Gramophone is a favourite target. :)

Jo498

But this is not a Hurwitz speciality. In the mid-1990s I encountered both international internet discussions on classical music and the Penguin/Gramophone guides for the first time and people on the internet made fun of the British bias and general old-fashioned character of these publications.
While there was no opportunity in his written reviews, in the videos he also loves to mangle foreign languages despite claiming (probably correctly so) to understand/speak them. But with the either sloppy or deliberate mispronunciations he is exactly in line with cliché US boorishness in this regard.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Madiel

Yes, I've rather winced at his efforts with foreign names. Not because he does them awkwardly, but because he then acts as if it doesn't matter at all whether he makes a decent effort or not.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Jo498

It's a strange discrepancy. In one video he claimed being able to speak a whole bunch of languages (certainly French, German and Italian) and then he seems to deliberately make a Chaplinesque mess out of some musician's name or title of a piece or aria in German. Sure, it might be funny ONCE or when it is about Nazi caricatures but in Bach passions or even in Wagner it's quite unnecessary.
- Blaise Pascal

Florestan

He also said "cum grano salis*, as we say in Yiddish". I don't know if it was a deliberate joke or a genuine mistake --- you never know with Hurwitz.

*actually 'twas another Latin expression, I can't remember it otomh so I replaced it with the first that came to my mind
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: Jo498 on October 31, 2020, 07:50:21 AM
It's a strange discrepancy. In one video he claimed being able to speak a whole bunch of languages (certainly French, German and Italian) and then he seems to deliberately make a Chaplinesque mess out of some musician's name or title of a piece or aria in German. Sure, it might be funny ONCE or when it is about Nazi caricatures but in Bach passions or even in Wagner it's quite unnecessary.

I think he was a grad student in European history at one time, which means he needed to be able to read those languages, but not necessarily speak them.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Artem

Is there somebody on youtube doing similar enthusiastic videos of more contemporary repertoire and record labels?

vandermolen

I enjoyed his survey of recordings of 'Job' by Vaughan Williams last night as well as his enthusiasm for the Madetoja symphonies.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Artem

Ideal Chopin Works video was enjoyable to watch.

Symphonic Addict

It's really surprising that this guy has ever talked about composers different to the hardcore Austro-German repertoire on his videos. Actually it's a miracle. But what the heck, I'm eager to watch Bach's cantatas, round 2, or Mahler's ideal cycle, volumes 2 and 3.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

71 dB

His Youtube videos are so cool. Started watching them a few days ago. His mannerism is my drug. Tam tam!! Funny man.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"