David Hurwitz

Started by Scion7, January 11, 2016, 06:42:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishl and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Brian on August 06, 2021, 07:07:55 PM
Hah, no, it's a lot harder cognitively as I get older, I've been working on a few pieces like Nielsen 4 and the Paganini Rhapsody for over a year now. It takes many, many listens to get from "earworm" to complete piece. Just yesterday got very close on the Paganini but two of the 24 variations appeared twice to make 26, so gotta iron that out and make sure all the transitions are right. Most recent "acquisition" was Also sprach Zarathustra.

It does enable me to try out interpretive ideas, speeding up, slowing down, etc. Bruckner 7 track timings for me - about 16/19/8/11. I use my own mental cadenza for the first Tchaikovsky concerto, that kind of thing. Did once get to ask a professional composer about this and learned that it is not at all normal - growing up of course thought it was completely normal!
Have you ever tried acting before?  If so, does it apply to lines or other things that you read?

But the bigger question:  Can you remember your *wedding anniversary?

Obviously, this applies only if you are married...sorry, but I couldn't remember!   :-[

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Brian

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 07, 2021, 05:26:04 AM
Have you ever tried acting before?  If so, does it apply to lines or other things that you read?

But the bigger question:  Can you remember your *wedding anniversary?

Obviously, this applies only if you are married...sorry, but I couldn't remember!   :-[

PD
Not nearly as good at words - in fact, if you told me to sing karaoke with 100% accuracy on penalty of death, I would only have maybe "Happy Birthday" and 2-3 Beatles songs to choose from!

I am the one out of the pair who remembers the anniversary in our relationship, yes  ;D ;D

Brian

Heck of a putdown here: he calls Kirill Petrenko's Mahler 7 "Boulez without the warmth." Ouch!

staxomega

Quote from: Brian on August 04, 2021, 01:51:00 PM

I wonder if Hurwitz does blind listening games like we used to do at GMG. We need to bring those back! Maybe a project for me when I have some free time.

It's my intent to start one for one of the Chopin Ballades, my preference is to do it for the F major but I'll leave it up to people to decide. I'll start the thread towards the end of September, so many discs I need to find and rip.

Quote from: vers la flamme on August 06, 2021, 12:54:36 PM
This man needs a blepharoplasty.

He has multiple sclerosis, though I'd usually associate ptosis with myasthenia gravis.

vers la flamme

Quote from: hvbias on August 08, 2021, 07:14:40 AM
He has multiple sclerosis, though I'd usually associate ptosis with myasthenia gravis.

Ah, indeed. I suppose it's not unheard of for MS to cause neurogenic ptosis, though of course that is one of the textbook symptoms of myasthenia gravis. Poor bastard, MS is a hell of a disease to live with.

(You must be in the medical field; I am a lowly tech at an ophthalmology practice, studying to eventually become an optometrist. Ocular—and neurological—disease is fascinating to me.)

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: hvbias on August 08, 2021, 07:14:40 AM
He has multiple sclerosis. . . .

Do you have evidence for this?
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

Karl Henning

Quote from: Brian on August 08, 2021, 06:24:19 AM
Heck of a putdown here: he calls Kirill Petrenko's Mahler 7 "Boulez without the warmth." Ouch!

Like Norman Lebrecht before him, he has succeeded in monetizing being a prick, which, of itself, is no great distinction.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: (poco) Sforzando on August 08, 2021, 08:04:13 AM
Do you have evidence for this?

Many years ago (like, around the year 2000) he mentioned it in one of his Classics Today editorials. That's what I remember, anyway.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Brian

Daverz

Quote from: Brian on August 08, 2021, 06:24:19 AM

It got a very positive review from Dentley Hunt at Fanfare ("Santa Fe Listener" to those who remember his Amazon reviews.  He is IMO Fanfare's worst writer.) 

"Without a doubt this performance rises to the top tier of Mahler Sevenths on disc."

I was very impressed with Kirill Petrenko's Suk recordings on CPO. 

(poco) Sforzando

"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

DavidW

Quote from: Daverz on August 08, 2021, 11:22:38 AM
It got a very positive review from Dentley Hunt at Fanfare ("Santa Fe Listener" to those who remember his Amazon reviews.  He is IMO Fanfare's worst writer.) 

"Without a doubt this performance rises to the top tier of Mahler Sevenths on disc."

I was very impressed with Kirill Petrenko's Suk recordings on CPO.

I never knew that the Santa Fe listener worked for Fanfare!  And people complain about British reviewers...

T. D.

Quote from: DavidW on August 08, 2021, 07:05:10 PM
I never knew that the Santa Fe listener worked for Fanfare!  And people complain about British reviewers...

Wow, that's a surprise. I recall reading some of S F L 's reviews; gave the impression of being knowledgeable and opinionated, but our tastes seemed to differ considerably (the same could be said of Hurwitz).
I rarely bother to read Amazon reviews any more. Their database is so unbelievably FUBAR that any displayed reviews probably pertain to a completely different recording than the one (presumably) being examined.

André

Quote from: T. D. on August 08, 2021, 07:16:31 PM
Wow, that's a surprise. I recall reading some of S F L 's reviews; gave the impression of being knowledgeable and opinionated, but our tastes seemed to differ considerably (the same could be said of Hurwitz).
I rarely bother to read Amazon reviews any more. Their database is so unbelievably FUBAR that any displayed reviews probably pertain to a completely different recording than the one (presumably) being examined.

Some Amazon reviewers start by mentioning what disc they will be talking about, just to make sure readers won't be misled. Amazon's carelessness is legendary.

staxomega

Quote from: vers la flamme on August 08, 2021, 07:22:19 AM
Ah, indeed. I suppose it's not unheard of for MS to cause neurogenic ptosis, though of course that is one of the textbook symptoms of myasthenia gravis. Poor bastard, MS is a hell of a disease to live with.

(You must be in the medical field; I am a lowly tech at an ophthalmology practice, studying to eventually become an optometrist. Ocular—and neurological—disease is fascinating to me.)

I'm an MD but not a neurologist. This was reaching way back to my M3/M4 days (what are the other things I remember- Marcus Gunn pupils, optic neuritis... you can tell me the last eye finding I'm forgetting :laugh: ), though I did admit a woman with an acute flare up as an M4 and that case was seared in my mind, completely agree with you on that, I wouldn't wish it upon anyone.

I don't read ClassicsToday aside from occasionally Googling Jed Distler reviews, Hurwitz made a video on his channel where he was receiving IVIG and he said it's because of his MS.

Not singling you out, your posts have always come off as cordial, it's just one of the things I find annoying is when people poke fun of someone's medical issues.

Karl Henning

Quote from: hvbias on August 09, 2021, 07:57:50 AM
Not singling you out, your posts have always come off as cordial, it's just one of the things I find annoying is when people poke fun of someone's medical issues.

Aye.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

vers la flamme

Quote from: hvbias on August 09, 2021, 07:57:50 AM
I'm an MD but not a neurologist. This was reaching way back to my M3/M4 days (what are the other things I remember- Marcus Gunn pupils, optic neuritis... you can tell me the last eye finding I'm forgetting :laugh: ), though I did admit a woman with an acute flare up as an M4 and that case was seared in my mind, completely agree with you on that, I wouldn't wish it upon anyone.

I don't read ClassicsToday aside from occasionally Googling Jed Distler reviews, Hurwitz made a video on his channel where he was receiving IVIG and he said it's because of his MS.

I do apologize if my cheeky post caused any offense or annoyance; I assure you that despite my irreverent tone, it came from a place of concern. I mean, the poor guy can barely open his eyes, and from what I understand ptosis is an easy fix if myogenic/age related.

None of the MDs I work with care about music at all—it's cool to see a practicing doctor who's passionate about classical music.

P.S. Not sure what the last eye finding you're thinking of is with MS; nystagmus, with complaint of diplopia, perhaps?

Sergeant Rock

Just watched the Hurwitzer's Music Chat: Really BAD Symphonists (1) Kurt Graunke and then listened to Graunke's Seventh Symphony, the first movement. And god help me, I liked it! Proving what?...that either I have really bad taste or that Hurwitz grossly exaggerates. Still too early to come to a conclusion. I need to listen to more of his music before deciding.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

VonStupp

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on August 28, 2021, 08:03:14 AM
Just watched the Hurwitzer's Music Chat: Really BAD Symphonists (1) Kurt Graunke and then listened to Graunke's Seventh Symphony, the first movement. And god help me, I liked it! Proving what?...that either I have really bad taste or that Hurwitz grossly exaggerates.

Proving you should love what you love, like what you like, and dismiss what you don't want to hear, but still explore what sounds interesting to you. This is why I have a stable of reviewers that I have gotten to know over the years so I can decipher what their superlatives and snubs exactly translate into for me. In the end, I am the only reviewer that matters for me, as I have been (and still will be) led astray in music and recordings from reviewers I trust.

At their least, reviewers will give us a starting point in order to make our own conclusions and start a conversation. Happily, it doesn't make any of us wrong.

VS
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

André

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on August 28, 2021, 08:03:14 AM
Just watched the Hurwitzer's Music Chat: Really BAD Symphonists (1) Kurt Graunke and then listened to Graunke's Seventh Symphony, the first movement. And god help me, I liked it! Proving what?...that either I have really bad taste or that Hurwitz grossly exaggerates. Still too early to come to a conclusion. I need to listen to more of his music before deciding.

Sarge

+1.

The clip of that 9th symphony posted in another thread made me listen with interest. And yet when you read the YT comments all there is is deference for Hurwitz' taste  ::) and omniscience. Practically everybody write that they certainly won't listen to Graunke... ???.  Hurwitzism has become a cult.